Gays are never hurt by religion because religious people never use holy books to justify bigotry.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gays are never hurt by religion because religious people never use holy books to justify bigotry.

Another example of religion not being a poison.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/chairman-of-alabama-gop-allowing-same-sex-marriage-will-bring-down-gods-wrath-upon-us/#.VN0s-xn...

Now sure the nation has been drug into the 21rst century, but considering that the weapon used to deny gays rights, and still some states today doing so. I find it very absurd why some here refuse to accept the reality that religion is poison. Now again, time after time some here take that statement as being an act of bigotry itself when it is really saying that it is a horrible way for humans to find common ground and is simply nothing more than a reflection of our tribal evolution. It is the same as saying "While you cannot stop people from wanting to drive cars you can face them with their bad driving habits, bad car models and bad highway designs."

It is simply the recognition that in order to manage differences religion cannot be given a taboo. We must face humans with this harsh truth, not as an act of government force, but as a mirror to take away anything religion can use to justify cruelty to others. Now in doing that, just like humans have learned to live without religious based horrors like slavery, like the science denying of the Church of Galileo, and the atrocities of the dark ages, we can learn to give up on bad ideas over time, just like we know the earth is not flat. Just like we live fine without believing in the Son God Ra.

The poison is insisting on taboos to placate those who cling to past merely for a sense of tradition. If our species never questioned social norms our species never would have left the caves. The poison of religion is that it teaches humans to accept kaleidoscope thinking. It teaches them to stop thinking and stop inquiry in favor of protecting their club over any potential fact that might conflict with their belief. Now that is talking about religion as an idea, not individuals who believe. Penn said it and I agree "Don't hate the faithful, hate faith itself," Now here is where my "detractors" continue on about what a big meanie I am for simply recognizing our species gap filling flaw.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
     There are scores of

There are scores of gays and lesbians who are religious and who embrace Christianity, they just subscribe to a very liberal wing.  Good luck trying to pry them away from their faith.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

There are scores of gays and lesbians who are religious and who embrace Christianity, they just subscribe to a very liberal wing.  Good luck trying to pry them away from their faith.

Yea and women belong to the GOP and are Christians who dont mind men telling them they have the right to control their bodies. There are women who don't mind making less than men. Oh and at one time there were Chrisitan women who had a problem with Susan B Anthony rocking the boat.

Yea, they have simply managed to water down how they interpret the bible. So? No religious progressive today can change the original intent of when those books were written. To know this all one has to see is how many hundreds of years in the past far too much of the Middle east is today who arrest gays and still treat women as property and get excused by the moderate and liberal muslims in the east.

This is the problem with liberals, full of awesome intent, but fail to see that holy books are weapons and for every kind act they point to in them, those same books with the same exact words are used by others to justify violence and oppression. Humans have a short term memory.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Yea, they

Brian37 wrote:

Yea, they have simply managed to water down how they interpret the bible. So?

Yeah, so ?  You can't even tolerate a watered down, more tolerant version of the Bible ?   How tolerant of you.

Brian37 wrote:
No religious progressive today can change the original intent of when those books were written.

Every Christian sect both liberal and conservative use the same god damned Bible and both sides will tell you that they have the correct interpretation of the "original intent". 

Brian37 wrote:
This is the problem with liberals, full of awesome intent, but fail to see that holy books are weapons and for every kind act they point to in them, those same books with the same exact words are used by others to justify violence and oppression.

Burn every holy book, tear down every place of worship, and completely eradicate belief in gods.  Guess what, violence and oppression will still exist.  People will always find other reasons to engage in sectarian behavior.   Jesus Christ, you are naive.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:There are

Brian37 wrote:

There are women who don't mind making less than men.

And there are some women who make shitloads more than you. And being the greedy fuck you are, you support going after them with state police power to take it.  

Obviously, she just has too much testosterone. 

Quote:

Oh and at one time there were Chrisitan women who had a problem with Susan B Anthony rocking the boat.

Susan B Anthony was a Quaker, that is about as batshit crazy extreme as religion can get.

Quote:

This is the problem with liberals, full of awesome intent,

Awesome intent? If greedy, self absorbed, intolerant, assholism counts as "awesome". 

Quote:

but fail to see that holy books are weapons and for every kind act they point to in them,

It would have to be a pretty hefty bible to be useful as a weapon. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
intellectually honest

intellectually honest pursuit of "original intent" is pretty much only interesting to academics. as was said, religious practitioners already think they have the "original intent" well in hand. and we can only ever approximate it anyhow, and there is hardly a consensus in scholarship. someone who is anti-religion is always going to single out the more gruesome theories as definitive. religious liberals are always going to go for the less violent theories. the judicious are going to admit that we don't really know for sure.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

Obviously, she just has too much testosterone.

then call me gay!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
And me. I'd happily be her

And me. I'd happily be her househusband. Unfortunately for me, she's probably already done better than me. Ah well

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Man's steps & goings are ordained, then so can we understand

>  [When a] Man's steps & goings are ordained, then so can we understand (/?)

OFF-SITE ONLY,  [ and Thread independent ]  View Uploads  ::   (( OFF-SITE ONLY,  [ and Thread independent] View Uploads )) ::       

Thread Independent  --    Btw,  Any Child is NEVER ever unwanted (unsurprisingly)!!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Enough

Enough

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
YEAH that's about enough (*Hint*)

Certain Co-Founder(s)  needs to  say the same thing, just about now !! That's 'enough', huh ?!?!!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can think of 4 or 5 ways

I can think of 4 or 5 ways to take that just off the top of my head, so I'll ignore it instead.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
well, you're quite a few

well, you're quite a few steps ahead of me, then, because i can never think of a single way to take anything dana says.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Communications Black Out .. ssssoooooooo !!

Re :: Hold your horses  Urd (ウルド)

Hold your horses : '' Urd (ウルド) ''

View  Image and / or  Uploaded  Image --

Re  :: A neglected problem so see this through new "eyes"

>> A neglected problem so see this through new "eyes"

F i n

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Enough

Enough

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Something got me interested in REAL justice who might say other!

re::  You know, Something got me interested in REAL justice

Upload /uploaded image  . . part of comment :

View Uploaded  Image --

http://xtupload.com

Misc. (Misc.  Other Thread related)

It ain't amazing .. or is it unbelievable, I hear !!   It ain't amazing .. or is it unbelievable, at least,  I hear! Perhaps overdue for a civil lawsuit towards a malicious prosecution, emotional distress and defamation ?!!

Fin

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
ffs enough

ffs enough

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
really.

really.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet .. a word in your shell-like

Vastet

Do you don't mind terribly, and even if you do, listen up stop blocking my existing pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Or should I have a hand-written letter send to the co-founder ?!??    Here's a overdue and simple solution, simply ban me. You yourself labelled me a troll. But as a parting request, however, DO NOT BLOCK or eliminate any of the previously existing posted pictures (or Uploaded images). Especially coming from the one with the "you can say anything you want" policy, so you have no right, nor power, to block the existing posted images, capisce?!?  Is that understood, by you?!! If you dont want me  to post anything  on this board,  that is fine; but you dont get pissed off and block existing posted images !! Capisce?! You might want to confer with some of your fellow administrators but you just do nothing about this. No matter how tired you are of this by now.  If you wont please somebody unblock this threads images. Why ? Because I asked so nicely, naturally!!  Oh, Thanks again for getting them back up and bye-bye!!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hows about YOU stop editing

Hows about YOU stop editing your fucking posts a billion fucking times. Write whatever letter you like, I'm not using my moderation powers in any way. Brian Sapient isn't going to ban people from the site just for responding to a topic.

I'm not going to ban anyone. I'm not going to edit your posts unless you break the site with your formatting commands (and that's the ONLY time I've ever done anything to your posts). But I am going to respond when you incessantly edit posts and bring up 4 years dead topics, because YOU are making me look at it. It's my job to look at every post and keep the spam at bay, and you waste my time more than anyone else.

Here's a suggestion you'll probably ignore: Make your own topic, and put as many pics, vids, poems, and whatever else you want in there. I'll never go in it unless you ask me to. But anywhere else, I'll be there to keep you from wasting my time over and over and over and over and over and over again.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
yeah, i'll second that.

yeah, i'll second that. from what i can see, vastet hasn't "blocked" your posts at all (don't even know what that would look like). he's just replying to the topic to stop the gratuitous editing, which, as he said, makes his job as a mod more difficult. nothing in the rules regulates one's intentions in posting. if they did, you'd be in at least as much trouble as him. and how did he label you a troll? you don't have the badge and, to my knowledge, none of your content has been sent to trollville.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I said she was trolling in

I said she was trolling in the Fonzie topic a month or 3 ago. Doubtless that's what she's referring to. However, I said she was being a troll, not that she was a troll. I guess she took it the wrong way. *shrug* Not my problem. She was being a troll afterall.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Doubtless, do any of us always what you have put her through

(Title)  Re :: Doubtless, do any of us always know what some have put her through . .

Images part of Comment . .  Address to Off-Site (mainly)

1st Pet. III:VI -  just as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, and you have become her children if you do what is right without being frightened by any fear.

p.s. -- I never get enough feedback myself, to give me an idea about what is wanted, this is exclusively addressed to : OFF-Site  !!  So, Again, sometimes none of us  always know what I put her through, . .  Okay ?!??

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
A Lesson, Zuko and Mai once said, "I don't hate you''

Re:: A Lesson, Zuko and Mai once said, "I don't hate you''

Image Upload part of comment,  It's  My Post Script  Image . . .  What does this do for a certain somebody, we can only wonder at this point ?!

Upload Here  -

F i n

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
enough

enough

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah ?! And what are those options again ?

Re :: Yeah ?!  And what are those options again ?

Single Uploaded Image is not the problem; trying again (image part of comment which is made and directed towards 'Off-Site' ) :

See Uploaded Image --

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
pre-emptive edit block

pre-emptive edit block

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been gone for two

I've been gone for two months and when I get back it is the same stuff over and over. I think I'll disappear for a little bit longer and check in when there are christians who want to discuss their delusions.

On the other side, I too was getting really annoyed with Dana's posts which constantly were being updated and then causing me to click on the thread only to find that the last post was indeed one of Dana's posts from weeks or months ago.

However I have since then assumed that the posts were being modified not by Dana but because the links that pointed to an outside source, the pictures might have changed? I didn't care either way. I had finally figured out how to make sense of Dana's posts and actually found them enjoyable instead of annoying.

To each is there own. I'm glad I'm not an admin here. I'd either be crazy to take on the task or go crazy trying to do it.

Vastet wrote:
Hows about YOU stop editing your fucking posts a billion fucking times. Write whatever letter you like, I'm not using my moderation powers in any way. Brian Sapient isn't going to ban people from the site just for responding to a topic. I'm not going to ban anyone. I'm not going to edit your posts unless you break the site with your formatting commands (and that's the ONLY time I've ever done anything to your posts). But I am going to respond when you incessantly edit posts and bring up 4 years dead topics, because YOU are making me look at it. It's my job to look at every post and keep the spam at bay, and you waste my time more than anyone else. Here's a suggestion you'll probably ignore: Make your own topic, and put as many pics, vids, poems, and whatever else you want in there. I'll never go in it unless you ask me to. But anywhere else, I'll be there to keep you from wasting my time over and over and over and over and over and over again.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
I said it before Ban Me !!

You (BEACHBUM) along with a lot of mouthy others aren't paying attention, at all !!  Wow, This is hyperbole, now at some seriously treacherous levels,  Jack(s)! If you or others were here, at all; you'd noticed the  noticeably fewer edits and the slow traffic of late, bub !  I said it before Ban Me !!

Note -- If I have anything  to apologize for  I am always willing to,  fore I do not like  not Listening .  Look, I am cutting back the edits and  far more than your impressions indicate, K ? When something needs to be said, . .  it follows that it needs to be said, K?!? Misconstrued MUCH ???

F i n

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
um, i think digital just

um, i think digital just stuck up for you. why are you turning on him? did you read his whole post?

--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:um, i think

iwbiek wrote:
um, i think digital just stuck up for you. why are you turning on him? did you read his whole post?

lmao, I can't get any respect.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Funny how little attention

Funny how little attention Dana pays.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
More concerned with what others fail to observe

re::  (Hehe)  More concerned with what others fail to observe,  but  that's  just  Me . . 

One of many examples would be  this whole thread, K ? http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/35073

Labelled to Off-Site location ONLY   Labelled to Off-Site location ONLY

Image part of comment  See Upload --

What answer I am to give to this if I am reproved or to any complaint ??

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
You can't observe anyone

You can't observe anyone failing to observe anything when you don't observe anything yourself.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
The trick is to identify our true priorities

Re :: The trick is to identify our true priorities

Truly  Random  images  for all those forgiving riddlers out there ::

F i n

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
> I need my Baby (Off-site) ::

re: Entitled :: 'I need my Baby' (addressed to, you'll never guess,  Off-this-WebSite) --

Image is the comment . . . 

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never shared
Without a thought, for no one dared 
Do disturb the sound of silence

View See Uploaded Image (Here) --

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
x

x

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary wrote:  re:

danatemporary wrote:

re: Entitled :: 'I need my Baby' (addressed to, you'll never guess,  Off-this-WebSite) --

Image is the comment . . . 

The only thing which was ever annoying was clicking on an old thread thinking that it had been updated but only to find it had not.

For a long time I was confused about your posts and skipped over them but then it became very stimulating because each pictures was a word.

When I figured it out I went through them like hieroglyphics, one word at a time, sort of making up sentences. Some times I got it, some times I didn't.

As for the rest of the shit going on I don't really care. You have issues. I have issues. They have issues. The whole world is filled with the same.

What is the most amazing thing is how you create the posts. I'm speechless that you take the time to go through each picture to project an emotion or word.

Each post must take you a long time to finish unless you have good organizational skills.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
> It's all going to be fine (smile)

> It's all going to be fine (smile)

Bonus Picture    Upload  is only  a bonus pic, as follows ::

See Upload --

http//omo.io

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline