9 Year Old Shoots Her Instructor during a "gun lesson" with an Uzi

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
9 Year Old Shoots Her Instructor during a "gun lesson" with an Uzi

You would think if her parents were filming the event and she was with an instructor that SOMEONE would have told her not to switch an Uzi to an automatic. This is just really stupid no matter how you cut it. If you want to teach your kids how to use a gun, you should give them instructions about the kick of an automatic BEFORE even handing it to them. I mean goddamn : 

www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28948946

A nine year-old girl in the US has killed her shooting instructor by accident while being shown how to use a high-powered submachine gun.

The instructor was giving the girl a lesson at a shooting range in Arizona when the recoil from the automatic fire caused her to lose control of the Uzi.

Charles Vacca, 39, was shot in the head and died after being airlifted to a hospital in Las Vegas.

The girl was at the shooting range with her parents, who filmed the lesson.

The footage shows the instructor coaching her as she fires a single shot at a target at the Last Stop shooting range in White Hills, Arizona.

The Uzi then appears to be switched to automatic as the girl pulls the trigger and loses her grip of the weapon.

The video, edited and released by the Mojave County Sheriff's office, ends abruptly before the instructor is shot.

Correspondents say it is common in parts of the US for children to be taught how to use firearms.

Many firing ranges have strict safety rules on instructing children. It is not clear what age limits the range has.

line

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 This is what the free for

This is what the free for all market and no rules do. Blame everyone else except your own selfish drive for profits and sell fear to sell more guns.

I would love for the NRA and gun manufactures to prove me wrong and show me that they care, but as of right now, FUCK THEM. 

"Just an accident" and "don't blame the owner", bullshit! The industry lobby pumped gun nutters full fo the bullshit utopia that nothing will go wrong. I do not blame the girl's family or the instructor. I blame the industry for selling them utopias and fear to make money.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
One less dumb person in this

One less dumb person in this world.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:One

digitalbeachbum wrote:

One less dumb person in this world.

I get angry too, but that girl does not deserve the mental torture. And I am quite sure the instructors family will feel a loss. All I want is for the industry to take responsibility for the climate that lead to this.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is 100% the instructors

This is 100% the instructors fault. It's too bad the instructor was killed, and my sympathies go out to all parties. But if the kid were being properly instructed it wouldn't have happened.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:This is 100%

Vastet wrote:
This is 100% the instructors fault. It's too bad the instructor was killed, and my sympathies go out to all parties. But if the kid were being properly instructed it wouldn't have happened.

And who poisond his brain that that was a goood idea? Just like Christians and Muslims you sell them a utopia like the NRA and gun manufactures. Indoctrinate them.

Or are you going to stupidly argue that religion isn't sold to kids before they can make rational decisions? I am sure that poor man had been raised that way and didn't suddenly say "This is ok".

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Given the fact that

Given the fact of recoils and somewhat loss of controls over automatics, I would actually think a gun instructor would have known better than to allow a kid to switch to automatic and fire. Now of course, it is even more puzzling that a kid is going to be instructed in using an Uzi anyway, but to let a kid switch to automatic and point to a hill top ? I mean what kind of an instructor is this ? 

Automatic weapons (judging by what I have read in novels and seen in movies, so no accuracy on my part there) are actually meant to "spray" if I am correct. You would use them to sweep an area under fire or something. Surely the instructor knew this ? Unless she switched and fired before he said to, but even then, it is simply fucked completely up. I bet that kid will have mental trauma the rest of her life from that one. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
According to the video, they

According to the video, they allow children 8 and older to shoot when they're with their parents and supervised by one of the instructors. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why the hell would you teach

Why the hell would you teach anyone how to shoot using an auto? I wouldn't train an adult on one, let alone a kid. That is kind of like deciding to teach someone how to swim by tossing them into the middle of the ocean. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Automatic weapons  are actually meant to "spray" if I am correct. You would use them to sweep an area under fire or something.

The difference is whether this hand-held weapon was under control , obviously this one was not. 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I would love

Brian37 wrote:

I would love for the NRA and gun manufactures to prove me wrong and show me that they care, but as of right now, FUCK THEM. 

What could they possibly do to convince you they care?

Brian37 wrote:

"Just an accident" and "don't blame the owner", bullshit! The industry lobby pumped gun nutters full fo the bullshit utopia that nothing will go wrong. I do not blame the girl's family or the instructor. I blame the industry for selling them utopias and fear to make money.

The parents certainly are at least partially responsible. They decided it was a good idea for their girl to shoot an uzi. An idea that clearly is not a good one to anyone with common sense. Even if there was some kind of concerted sales effort to encourage it, the parents should have been smart enough to say "no", although I have never seen any concerted sales effort to encourage learning to shoot with an uzi and I get a lot of gun advertisements.

Also, the instructor broke many safety rules for teaching someone how to shoot. I don't know if the instructor was not properly trained, or if it he had just grown sloppy over time. The gun should not have had more than one bullet loaded at a time: it is very common for children to turn around after hitting the target to look at their parents for approval. When they do that, the gun often gets pointed at a less than safe direction. Until the child learns to always be aware of muzzle direction, they shouldn't have a loaded magazine. Furthermore, he was standing on the left hand side, which is the wrong side when you are teaching someone who is right handed. It forces you to reach over the person to get control of the weapon and puts you directly in the line of fire with recoil.

If the instructor was never properly trained, the owner of the range might be civilly liable- much the same way that public pools are often found liable if gross negligence or poor training of lifeguards is found to be a contributing factor.

It is unfortunate that this happened, especially since it was so easily avoidable. However, it says a lot about gun ranges that a story like this rates national news coverage. And much of that is thanks to the NRA. I'm not a fan of them, but they have done more effort to improve firearm safety across the country than any other organization. That firearms accidents are half of what they were 30 years ago is mostly attributable to their efforts.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:According

butterbattle wrote:

According to the video, they allow children 8 and older to shoot when they're with their parents and supervised by one of the instructors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv89_3rrW8Y

Female cop in Nevada nearly takes the head off of a handcuffed suspect with a negligent discharge.  So much for their superior traing.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:  The

Brian37 wrote:

The industry lobby pumped gun nutters full fo the bullshit utopia that nothing will go wrong.

Which shows that you have absolutely no knolwledge of what you speak.   You've obviously never been to a gun range.  You don't have to shoot somebody to have your ass thrown out of a firing range.

Brian37 wrote:
I do not blame the girl's family or the instructor.

No, blame the instructer.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Automatic weapons (judging by what I have read in novels and seen in movies, so no accuracy on my part there) are actually meant to "spray" if I am correct. You would use them to sweep an area under fire or something. Surely the instructor knew this ? Unless she switched and fired before he said to, but even then, it is simply fucked completely up. I bet that kid will have mental trauma the rest of her life from that one. 

Tactically, full auto on light weaponry is virtually never used in combat. The things we trained for were in the event of a close quarters ambush, you empty your first clip in the general direction of the attack while finding cover. Then swap mags and switch to semi. The tactic literally only buys you a few seconds (a full auto burst empties your magazine in 2-3 seconds- the drawn out full auto in the movies is impossible), but those few seconds might save your life. The other situation we trained for is a tactical retreat where members of a team take turns laying down suppressing fire, while the other members retreat leapfrog style. 

The Uzi has been popular for VIP protection, because in the case of an attack, getting the shooter(s) to take cover for a few seconds while the guards assigned to covering and extracting the VIP is more important than actually killing the shooter. And having 30 bullets flying your general direction is enough to get all but the most hardened combat veterans to hunker down. 

Some modern sub machine guns allow full auto fire have virtually no upward recoil, so they offer a wider array of uses, especially for close quarters combat.

But even these, it isn't squeeze the trigger til it is empty. The firing is more along the lines of several short bursts.  

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

Female cop in Nevada nearly takes the head off of a handcuffed suspect with a negligent discharge.  So much for their superior traing.

I did a <double facepalm> after watching that video

I had a friend who tried to enter the FBI. He would have been an amazing agent but they had these requirements and he told the truth on his app "I experiemented with weed" and they dropped him... drum roll... over a woman who had shot herself in the foot once and then shot an instructor in the hip....

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
 I really feel sorry for

I really feel sorry for the girl. Dumb as parents and dumb ass instructor.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Obviously, the real problem here is racism. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Vastet

Brian37 wrote:

Vastet wrote:

And who poisond his brain that that was a goood idea?

Shut up you fucking idiot. Noone poisoned anything. The instructor decided to not do his job properly and got killed for it. It happens fairly regularly in the working environment.

Brian37 wrote:
Just like Christians and Muslims you sell them a utopia like the NRA and gun manufactures.

Gun manufacturer's had nothing to do with this. But I guess you'd blame gun manufacturer's even if the guy was a construction worker who died in a fall because he wasn't doing his job, or an assembly line worker who got killed being sucked into a machine because he wasn't doing his job, or a gas station attendant who blew up because he wasn't doing his job and lit a smoke right in front of the pumps.

Brian-logic
Hey guys, everything is the fault of Brian. Brian caused 9/11 and the tsunami that followed. He started WWI & personally pissed Hitler off enough to kill the jews by the millions. It's Brian's fault that cops shoot innocent people, and that babies die from whatever. Anything bad that ever happened to you is the fault of Brian37. Tar and feather this poisonous ass before he kills again!
/Brian-logic.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: And who

Brian37 wrote:

And who poisond his brain that that was a goood idea?

Vastet wrote:
Shut up you fucking idiot. Noone poisoned anything. The instructor decided to not do his job properly and got killed for it. It happens fairly regularly in the working environment.....Gun manufacturer's had nothing to do with this. But I guess you'd blame gun manufacturer's even if the guy was a construction worker who died in a fall because he wasn't doing his job, or an assembly line worker who got killed being sucked into a machine because he wasn't doing his job, or a gas station attendant who blew up because he wasn't doing his job and lit a smoke right in front of the pumps.

I have nothing to add except that I completely agree with Vastet.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Obviously, the real problem here is racism. 

, LOL.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Brian-logic Hey

Vastet wrote:
Brian-logic Hey guys, everything is the fault of Brian. Brian caused 9/11 and the tsunami that followed. He started WWI & personally pissed Hitler off enough to kill the jews by the millions. It's Brian's fault that cops shoot innocent people, and that babies die from whatever. Anything bad that ever happened to you is the fault of Brian37. Tar and feather this poisonous ass before he kills again! /Brian-logic.

I knew I hated Brian, now I know why !

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well it's been revealed that

Well it's been revealed that the guy who got shot was the range master for the facility, so he had to know better.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:This is 100%

Vastet wrote:

NO, we do not let 5 year olds drink, much less drive cars. No one that age has any business handling a weapon like that. 

I am completly fucking sick of  America's gun fetish. No I do not want to get rid of all guns, but they should not be blindly worshiped anymore than a god. It is absolutely insane how the industry and NRA act like fucking crybabies when you simply want some sane laws to prevent shit like this.

Kids do not have the reasoning skills to understand adult risks. That poor girl is going to be scared for life because the adults didn't give a shit. No different than a fundy pumping a kid full of religion who grows up with absolutes then cant handle life as an adult when others conflict with their views. That was not an act of rights, that was an act of child abuse.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shut up idiot. She wasn't 5.

Shut up idiot. She wasn't 5. He was in charge, he knew better, it was his fault. It is not your place to decide how old someone should be to fire a weapon. Clearly it isn't a problem since kids do it all the time. I did it around that age and nothing bad happened to me or anyone else in the summer camp I was in at the time.

The only problem here is that the person in charge didn't do his job, and paid for it with his life. Occupational hazards are found in most jobs. You don't need weapons to make a job dangerous.

Child abuse my ass. You don't know anything.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Kids do not

Brian37 wrote:
Kids do not have the reasoning skills to understand adult risks.

exactly, which is why she was under the supervision of someone who did understand the risks. obviously, he disregarded at least one of them, and obviously the greatest risk was to him, not the child. that's on him.

Brian37 wrote:
who grows up with absolutes then cant handle life as an adult when others conflict with their views.

wow, like looking into a fucking mirror, isn't it? do you ever read back over what you type?

Brian37 wrote:
That was not an act of rights, that was an act of child abuse.

oh fuck off. like vastet, my father and uncles, all avid hunters (and NRA members, i might add), took me to shoot a gun for the first time when i was around 8. the difference is, they put a .22 bolt-action in my hand, not a fucking submachine gun, because they weren't idiots. they didn't do it to "indoctrinate" me--i have become neither a hunter, nor a gun owner, nor an NRA member, nor did anyone ever pressure me to--they did it because they kept guns in the house, and, despite their being under lock and key, they knew the safest course was to show me how to handle, use, and maintain them safely. my father bought me the only gun i've ever owned, a single-shot 20-gauge (i no longer have it), when i was 14.

i'm grateful to them for the lessons they taught me, lessons that have helped me use any tool safely. while i don't own a gun, those lessons may very well have saved my or someone else's life when i was building my house, using everything from cement mixers to handheld circular saws to angle grinders. if you think they were "abusing" me--or indeed doing me anything but good--then you really are more stupid than any of us realized.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hysterical

iwbiek wrote:
Iwbiek wrote :: 'the difference is, they put a .22 bolt-action in my hand, not a fucking submachine gun, ..'

Hysterically funny !

p.s.  --    Yes  Brian,  You are  absolutely unaware of "your negative attitude" 

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
> Funny !!

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Vastet wrote:
I wanted to dispute a thing or two, but I can't bring myself to be associated, in any way, with Brians arguments. Sigh.

I completely stay out of it too.

re:: Funny !

DigitalBeachBum wrote:
I completely stay out of it too.

In the words of Disney's take on Robin Goodfellow  ''.. I'm kind to animals and I have a sunny disposition; Oh, I make an effort to be polite to strangers''

(Quote)I'm kind to animals and I have a sunny disposition; Oh, I make an effort to be polite to strangers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rfw1hJTLd0 {http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rfw1hJTLd0}

0ff-site :: You're going to make me earn this kinsman redeemer role, apparently.   Despite  the  doubtless discernible disapproving whispers; It's  all in good fun (smile)

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary wrote: Your

danatemporary wrote:

Your posts totally confuse me

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is ill advised, because I consider Brian a friend

They say people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones . . every which way but loose

>  This is ill advised, because I do consider Brian a friend

(Quote)

(Double Sigh) BeachBum  哎吔, Yeesh! You're  killing me  here . .  I am supposed to be patiently waiting; you want me to give up PATENTED Private jokes away. And an off-site double-meaning to boot. Let's break the

quote down . .

A.)  --

Brian37 wrote:
What is this place all about? We are all Stalin loving communists. We barbecue kittens.
Brian37 wrote:
.. please leave your barbecue kittens on the pot luck table at the door

B.) --

Non-Quote--Brian37 wrote:
Too many examples  to even search for.  Mainly,  Those prominent placed & endless strings of litenies squaring off against Corporations, Conservatives or those of the Republican Party (heavily-laden with righteous indignation and profanities) or any known expression of RELIGION on the planet, etc.

C.) --

Brian37 wrote:
Well Lum, I cant say we agreed on much, but I do miss chewtoys
Brian37 wrote:
If I am referring  to theists as "Chew toys" then that would make me the dog, just like a person froths at the mouth over the thought of a brand new car and it's smell

Brian is a deeply passionate man.   Your problem is you are obviously catching Brian when he is clearly wound up.  I like Brian.  He subscribes to the moto : ''We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately'' When the government comes to round us all up, I blame Brian  FOR  EVERYTHING !!

p.s. -- Notice I didn't even touch the inconspicuous light peppering of inherited traits from parents to offspring . . 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary wrote:''We

danatemporary wrote:
''We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately''

one type of hanging is as bad as the other in my opinion. i don't want to hang with anyone...except perhaps a tibetan mudra.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary wrote:   

danatemporary wrote:

(Double Sigh) BeachBum  哎吔, Yeesh! You're  killing me  here . .  I am supposed to be patiently waiting; you want me to give up PATENTED Private jokes away. And an off-site double-meaning to boot. Let's break the

Brian is a deeply passionate man.   Your problem is you are obviously catching Brian when he is clearly wound up.  I like Brian.  He subscribes to the moto : ''We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately'' When the government comes to round us all up, I blame Brian  FOR  EVERYTHING !!

p.s. -- Notice I didn't even touch the inconspicuous light peppering of inherited traits from parents to offspring . . 

I think it is more your format of the message. They look like a mess of pictures and words. Your always changing fonts and pictures move the alignment of the sentences, it really is confusing to my eyes. I usually never read what you have to say because I can't find it even when it isn't a cryptic poem or quote.

Brian has his moments but I wasn't talking about him so...

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:danatemporary

iwbiek wrote:
danatemporary wrote:
one type of hanging is as bad as the other in my opinion. i don't want to hang with anyone...except perhaps a tibetan mudra.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:iwbiek

digitalbeachbum wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
danatemporary wrote:

not that sort of mudra. if you know about tibetan tantra, you know exactly the type of mudra i mean.

--Hunter S. Thompson

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Simply because nobody will look it up . . .

re :: Simply because nobody will look it up . .

Iwbiek wrote:
. . my whole point is not to flash around my knowledge of buddhism but to argue that buddhism (meaning quite simply the basic teachings of the buddha as outlined in the most likely authentic sources), properly understood and properly practised (neither of which i claim to do), is a religion that is more likely to breed compassionate feeling and action than its abrahamic counterparts.

** tibetan tantra,   Roughly  speaking the external Knowledge Women are actual physical partners also called Seals (( Hopkins  on  phyag rgya))

And,  What you and your wife get up to in the bedroom is no business of mine (smile)  >>  ::  À chacun son goût

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Publishers -- shambhala.com/snowlion

Everyday Cheapskate's Greatest Tips ... Preview their books using  Google Books, if you have a Google account, to Preview Books

View  Off - s i t e  URL /  Link  --  http://www.shambhala.com/snowlion

IMHO, They've  made some serious  inroads to making a wide(-r) accessibility  as many people as possible, in some of the introductory titles and biographical works they've produced . . .

p.p.s.  -- It  should not be confusing, in any way (smile)

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:digitalbeachbum

iwbiek wrote:
digitalbeachbum wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
danatemporary wrote:

not that sort of mudra. if you know about tibetan tantra, you know exactly the type of mudra i mean.

Ah. I know what the tantra is but I think you might mean a master of meditation?

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline

digitalbeachbum wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
digitalbeachbum wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
danatemporary wrote:

Ah. I know what the tantra is but I think you might mean a master of meditation?

no. i suspect dana could tell you too, but a mudra in tibetan tantric buddhism is the (usually very skilled) female sexual partner, representing (in buddhist tantra; in hindu tantra the roles are reversed) the passive aspect of wisdom. she is the sacred hetaira.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hail Buddha!!!!!!!!!

iwbiek wrote:
danatemporary wrote:

I ran into a quote while reading a humor book recently that I totally agree with; I was surprised that it was from a religiously worshipped wise man.

Do not believe in something simply because you have heard it.

Do not believe in something simply because it is found in your religious books.

Do not believe in something merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.

But when you find something that agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

Buddha

Have I been a Buddhist all my life without knowing it.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
if the buddha is being

if the buddha is being worshipped, he's being worshipped as an idea, a principle that ultimately exists only in our consciousness. siddhartha gautama is dead as a stone and his karma has been annihilated. he exists nowhere and he ain't coming back. any knowledgable buddhist will tell you that.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:if the buddha

iwbiek wrote:
if the buddha is being worshipped, he's being worshipped as an idea, a principle that ultimately exists only in our consciousness. siddhartha gautama is dead as a stone and his karma has been annihilated. he exists nowhere and he ain't coming back. any knowledgable buddhist will tell you that.

There is no IF about it; there are those who do worship the Buddha, as a godlike entity; devout Buddhists do NOT: in the same way Muslims resent and correct any who think Mohammed was some kind of god. And I do know the Buddha statues we all know and see are more then likely from a 2nd century ¨(B.C.E.) Buddha scholer posing for a sculpter. Yet do I become a devout Buddhist when I do NOT want to become DEVOUT to any thing.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:iwbiek

Jeffrick wrote:
iwbiek wrote:
There is no IF about it; there are those who do worship the Buddha, as a godlike entity; devout Buddhists do NOT: in the same way Muslims resent and correct any who think Mohammed was some kind of god. And I do know the Buddha statues we all know and see are more then likely from a 2nd century ¨(B.C.E.) Buddha scholer posing for a sculpter. Yet do I become a devout Buddhist when I do NOT want to become DEVOUT to any thing.

I'm sure there are some Asian people who think of him as a god but when I was travelling Japan and China I was corrected a number of times that buddha is not a person and not a god. It is a state of being, an ideal that the followers wish to reach.

Westerners get it wrong too often and I did too. Reincarnation, what is buddha, etc.

In a temple of 1,000 buddhas they had three Marco Polo statues which each represented a revered characteristic of Marco Polo. He looked just like a typical fat buddha statue but under careful examination his hands, arms and face were all different. I was told that all the buddha statues were different and they all represented an ideal so people who ask for guidence when the donated some money but they weren't praying to buddha. It was more of a self-healing thing where if they said it enough times they would change the negative to a positive, from within there mind/life.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i've always said that

i've always said that anytime a westerner uses the word "god" when discussing south and east asian religions, he's already lost his way. of course, some asians don't help the matter by using the word themselves when communicating with westerners (taking their own cultural connotations for granted, of course).

--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i've always

iwbiek wrote:
i've always said that anytime a westerner uses the word "god" when discussing south and east asian religions, he's already lost his way. of course, some asians don't help the matter by using the word themselves when communicating with westerners (taking their own cultural connotations for granted, of course).

In my youth I was one of those people because I wasn't yet exposed to the world. 

I also blame people who translated ancient texts for causing westerners to think incorrect about buddhism. I remember the 70's and 80's where every person seemed to think they were Marc Anthony or Cleopatra; which gives in to the myths about reincarnation. The book of the dead is another good example of misinformed westerners as well thinking that meditation is some form of siesta.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline

digitalbeachbum wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

In my youth I was one of those people because I wasn't yet exposed to the world. 

I also blame people who translated ancient texts for causing westerners to think incorrect about buddhism. I remember the 70's and 80's where every person seemed to think they were Marc Anthony or Cleopatra; which gives in to the myths about reincarnation. The book of the dead is another good example of misinformed westerners as well thinking that meditation is some form of siesta.

yeah, i'm trying to teach myself sanskrit just for that reason, but i don't have much time and it's hard to be disciplined without a teacher. i'd also like to learn hindi for the same reason. my favorite sanskrit scholar, agehananda bharati (i'm doing my PhD thesis on him), frequently bemoaned translations, particularly popular ones. he knew a smattering of tibetan as well and had big problems with the most popular and common translation of the bardo thodol to this day, the one by w.y. evans-wentz. he basically referred to it as junk in many of his books, and his distaste for it seems to have been due in great part to its far-reaching influence on generations of beats and hippies. he felt it had misled thousands of wide-eyed young westerners. then again, bharati was a typical central european scholar, i.e. cantankerous.

--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sieg Heil Sieg Heil (View the two images)

danatemporary wrote:

They say people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones . . every which way but loose

>  This is ill advised, because I do consider Brian a friend

(Quote)

quote down . .

A.)  --

Brian37 wrote:
What is this place all about? We are all Stalin loving communists. We barbecue kittens.
Brian37 wrote:
.. please leave your barbecue kittens on the pot luck table at the door

B.) --

Non-Quote--Brian37 wrote:
Too many examples  to even search for.  Mainly,  Those prominent placed & endless strings of litenies squaring off against Corporations, Conservatives or those of the Republican Party (heavily-laden with righteous indignation and profanities) or any known expression of RELIGION on the planet, etc.

C.) --

Brian37 wrote:
Well Lum, I cant say we agreed on much, but I do miss chewtoys
Brian37 wrote:
If I am referring  to theists as "Chew toys" then that would make me the dog, just like a person froths at the mouth over the thought of a brand new car and it's smell

(The Priestly Benediction)  Numbers 6:24-26  New King James Version (NKJV)

(The Priestly Benediction)

“The Lord bless you and keep you;
    The Lord make His face shine upon you,
  And be gracious to you;
   The Lord lift up His countenance upon you,
  And give you peace.”’

Link to  Image -- http ://izquotes.com/quotes-pictures/quote-i-take-it-as-a-matter-not-to-be-disputed-that-if-all-knew-what-each-said-of-the-other-there-would-blaise-pascal-369255.jpg