Dumb Dynasty, OP/ED

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Dumb Dynasty, OP/ED

The following opinion is a continuing battle against the "never" tactic the well intended left has with certain words. Now it appears "Redneck" is a slur. Yes, it can be used as a slur, but lots of rednecks use it as a term of endearment. I saw on the news today a kid got scolded by his school for wearing a Duck Dynasty t-shirt and the use of the word "redneck".

Dumb Dynasty, my op/ed on the importance of CONTEXT of words. So a kid gets scolded for wearing a Duck Dynasty t-shirt at school. The offense wasn't that like all reality shows it is mind rot when kids should be learning math and science. No, what offended the school was the word "Redneck".

"Gay" is originally a french word meaning "happy", it went on to become a slur, but there are still tons of gay people who call themselves gay and have the word "gay" in their advocacy organization names. Any rap artist can tell you the difference between when a bigot calls a black person "nigger" and when they use it to describe buddies and loved ones.

Atheists get equated to Stalin and Po Pot and by virtue of not believing cannot have morals according to bigoted believers. "Atheos" the original Greek word merely meant "without god", and was not a moral judgment of the person labeled "atheos'. But theism since has demonized the word. Yet as an atheist I KNOW HOW to make the distinction between when a bigoted theist views it, and when my fellow atheist uses it. And I also joke with fellow atheists that we are "godless heathens".

Same can be said with the word "Jew". "Juden" is German for "Jew" and during WW2 Hitler and the Nazis used "Jew" to demonize Jewish people and justified a holocaust with that slur. But Mel Brooks used "Jew" his comedies and South Park certainly used it to poke fun of bigotry.

Same with the Washington Redskins name. The word "redskin" was invented by natives long before their oppression and did not start out as a slur. When the Boston Braves moved to Washington and changed the name to Redskins, the name was not used as slur to describe the team, anymore than I insult myself by calling myself an atheist or gays call themselves gays.

I think some well intended people do not understand that others KNOW WHAT CONTEXT IS and the difference between a slur and a term of endearment.

ALL WORDS have more than one meaning and can be used in different contexts to mean different things.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is what happens when

This is what happens when you elect authoritarians who think governments job is to take care of people and force people to be nice. The only surprise is that you are surprised.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Beyond Saving wrote:This is

Beyond Saving wrote:

This is what happens when you elect authoritarians who think governments job is to take care of people and force people to be nice. The only surprise is that you are surprised.

HA! Go live in North Korea or Iran before you accuse liberals of being fascists DUMBASS!

Your chicken little act is getting old. You simply cant stand that other people vote and win elections. Must suck to have a dishwasher and ABBA fan insult you. What are you going to do about it Ayn Rand?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: HA! Go live

Brian37 wrote:

HA! Go live in North Korea or Iran before you accuse liberals of being fascists DUMBASS!

It is only a difference of degree. The basic idea that government should control what people say is the same.

Brian37 wrote:

Your chicken little act is getting old. You simply cant stand that other people vote and win elections. Must suck to have a dishwasher and ABBA fan insult you.

Not at all. Now if someone I respect like Peter Thiel insulted me I might be hurt for a minute, but I would get over it.

Brian37 wrote:

What are you going to do about it Ayn Rand?

The opposite of what Ayn suggested in her book; I am going to let you fools run things into the ground and take care of numero uno and my close friends. I will personally profit in whatever fucked up system you install, even if it involves compromising my principles. Life is too short to try to save fools from themselves.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

It is only a difference of degree. The basic idea that government should control what people say is the same.

Brian37 wrote:

Your chicken little act is getting old. You simply cant stand that other people vote and win elections. Must suck to have a dishwasher and ABBA fan insult you.

Not at all. Now if someone I respect like Peter Thiel insulted me I might be hurt for a minute, but I would get over it.

Brian37 wrote:

What are you going to do about it Ayn Rand?

The opposite of what Ayn suggested in her book; I am going to let you fools run things into the ground and take care of numero uno and my close friends. I will personally profit in whatever fucked up system you install, even if it involves compromising my principles. Life is too short to try to save fools from themselves.

"Winner take all"

You are so fucking stupid you'd cut your own face off to spite yourself.

IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF, knowing what you know about my positions which you hate, IF IF IF IF IF IF, I had the money on par with the Koch brothers, you'd be that fucking stupid to claim that no regulation is good?

You are truly a dumbass.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
So explain to me, IF IF IF

So explain to me, IF IF IF IF IF IF you had $100 billion what horrible evil things would you do to me? Because Warren Buffett has almost as much as both Koch brothers combined and I have no desire to regulate him. Nor is Bill Gates exactly a right wing extremist.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Beyond Saving wrote:So

Beyond Saving wrote:

So explain to me, IF IF IF IF IF IF you had $100 billion what horrible evil things would you do to me? Because Warren Buffett has almost as much as both Koch brothers combined and I have no desire to regulate him. Nor is Bill Gates exactly a right wing extremist.

Certainly NOT the fucking crap you think will work but has not.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Beyond Saving

Brian37 wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Certainly NOT the fucking crap you think will work but has not.

Well obviously not since my position is that nothing would work. Why don't you prove me wrong?