Prison for non-violent crimes ? Thoughts ?

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Prison for non-violent crimes ? Thoughts ?

Here is an interesting article that I found from the Voice of Russia newspaper that I get online :

http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2013_11_14/Over-3000-US-prisoners-serving-life-without-parole-for-doing-almost-nothing-1231/

Over 3000 US prisoners serving life without parole for doing almost nothing

More than 3,200 people in federal and state prisons are serving life without parole for nonviolent crimes in this country, according to a study released Wednesday by the American Civil Liberties Union.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) report, titled ‘A Living Death,’ relays the stories of thousands of people impacted by the United States’ “late-twentieth-century obsession with mass incarceration and extreme, inhumane penalties” which leaves them likely to die behind bars even though they are far from being serious or violent offenders.

(Rest of the story can be found at the link)
Read more: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2013_11_14/Over-3000-US-prisoners-serving-life-without-parole-for-doing-almost-nothing-1231/

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
I believe non-violent crimes

I believe non-violent crimes and violent crimes should have two different prisons, but I believe that life sentences for people like Bernie Madoff is justified (though it isn't a life sentence, but 150 years would certify that he die in prison).

There are some people in prison for selling small amounts of LSD and are in prison with some very hard core criminals, which is wrong. Hard core criminals should be treated like hard core criminals. They should be separated from people incarcerated for petty crimes.

After watching a special documentary on Black Dolphin I believe it would do our justice system good to have a few prisons like that for the worst of the worst.