Can someone make sense of this Fleebow sports comentary?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can someone make sense of this Fleebow sports comentary?

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/commentaries/195295521.html

It is about Tim Tebow's recent backing out of speaking at a conservative church because of their anti gay stances.

If I am reading  the article correctly the author is basically saying "Why does this surprise anyone, they'd(meaning the owners) would hire Hitler if they thought  he could score a touchdown". If I am missing something please correct me.

My take on Tebow's backout is that HE FUCKING KNEW HE WAS WRONG but too much of a coward to admit it.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just posted this on one of

Just posted this on one of his fanclub facebook pages. Any bets as to how long it takes me to get flagged?

Quote:
If a Muslim scores a goal in soccer does that make Allah Real? If a Hindu scores in Cricket does that make Vishnu real? So does Tebow really think with all the hunger famine, war and disease that an invisible friend is worried about him?

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTimTebowFanClub?ref=ts&fref=ts

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

It is about Tim Tebow's recent backing out of speaking at a conservative church because of their anti gay stances.

If I am reading  the article correctly the author is basically saying "Why does this surprise anyone, they'd(meaning the owners) would hire Hitler if they thought  he could score a touchdown". If I am missing something please correct me.

My take on Tebow's backout is that HE FUCKING KNEW HE WAS WRONG but too much of a coward to admit it.

My take is that it was something set up by Tebow (he apparently had a personal connection to the church) and his agent said "WTF you can't be getting involved with that- you are going to be needing a new contract soon you stupid kid!" I doubt Tebow thinks he is wrong and it probably took quite a bit for his agent to persuade him to cancel it. Everything I have heard of Tebow is that he is about as christnutty fundy as they come and my experience from here tells me that those types will never realize they are wrong about anything.

I disagree with the writer, I don't think the NFL people had anything to do with it, it was probably his personal agent who is concerned about where he is going to be traded to for next year (please please please let him be traded somewhere, I will throw in Revis if you just take Tebow and Sanchez). While the Cowboys probably wouldn't care about him speaking at the church, the managers of other teams he might get traded to might care and since Dallas isn't looking for a QB I don't know why anyone would care about their opinion.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
His 15 minutes of fame are

His 15 minutes of fame are over. He sucks as a QB and he has warped views on life. He'll make enough money to retire with out injury then go back to 3rd world countries and provide poor people with medicine, water and food only if they convert to christianity.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

My take is that it was something set up by Tebow (he apparently had a personal connection to the church) and his agent said "WTF you can't be getting involved with that- you are going to be needing a new contract soon you stupid kid!" I doubt Tebow thinks he is wrong and it probably took quite a bit for his agent to persuade him to cancel it. Everything I have heard of Tebow is that he is about as christnutty fundy as they come and my experience from here tells me that those types will never realize they are wrong about anything.

I disagree with the writer, I don't think the NFL people had anything to do with it, it was probably his personal agent who is concerned about where he is going to be traded to for next year (please please please let him be traded somewhere, I will throw in Revis if you just take Tebow and Sanchez). While the Cowboys probably wouldn't care about him speaking at the church, the managers of other teams he might get traded to might care and since Dallas isn't looking for a QB I don't know why anyone would care about their opinion.  

I agree with the writer that an owner is will hire ANYONE if they think they can get away with it. But where I disagree with the writer is his attitude "This happens all the time, what is the big deal".  I am asking is it just me or does that seem to be this writer's attitude?

My point is I do give a fuck, this isn't a mere bar brawl this is a church that is homophobic. I think Fleebow is a fucking coward if he truly believes it is wrong, then he should stick with the church and fuck the advice of his agent. So in the end his "personal beliefs" are trumped by the reality of life, otherwise he wouldn't have backed down.

But I did feel sorry for you and the Jets for having been inflicted with such inept players in Fleebow and Sanchez.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I agree with

Brian37 wrote:

I agree with the writer that an owner is will hire ANYONE if they think they can get away with it. But where I disagree with the writer is his attitude "This happens all the time, what is the big deal".  I am asking is it just me or does that seem to be this writer's attitude?

My point is I do give a fuck, this isn't a mere bar brawl this is a church that is homophobic. I think Fleebow is a fucking coward if he truly believes it is wrong, then he should stick with the church and fuck the advice of his agent. So in the end his "personal beliefs" are trumped by the reality of life, otherwise he wouldn't have backed down.

But I did feel sorry for you and the Jets for having been inflicted with such inept players in Fleebow and Sanchez.

I don't think it is cowardly to avoid speaking your personal beliefs when you are in a situation where you believe it will affect other things that are important to you. Often it is far more practical to avoid a discussion entirely and sometimes being vocal about your beliefs can put you in a situation where you have a lot to lose and absolutely nothing to gain. I think for Tebow this is such a situation. If he speaks at the church, he gains nothing but risks losing millions and maybe even the hope of salvaging his career. Being sensible about how, when and where you talk about your beliefs will do far more to support your beliefs in the long run than insisting on being an idealistic martyr. Have you never bitten your tongue to avoid calling religious talk bullshit because the time and place were not appropriate? I have.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 As to the writer, he is in

As to the writer, he is in Dallas so around him it probably does happen all the time and in Dallas it probably isn't that big of a deal because there are a lot more christnuts around. On the national level though, the persona of football players is very carefully groomed for promotional purposes and someone like Tebow who will probably make more money off of his image than he ever will playing, the strength of his public image will make a big difference in how much he makes during his career.

Some random linebacker or defensive end could probably go speak at the church without getting so much as a press release, but Tebow gets the attention even though he played less and achieved nothing. Wherever and whenever he speaks it is going to be widely reported and will effect his image which in turn will effect his contract and endorsement deals. So while it probably wouldn't be a big deal at all for most players, it is for Tebow. Just the fact that everyone in the country knows his name even if they couldn't name half of the starting QBs in the league shows how important image is for him. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

I don't think it is cowardly to avoid speaking your personal beliefs when you are in a situation where you believe it will affect other things that are important to you. Often it is far more practical to avoid a discussion entirely and sometimes being vocal about your beliefs can put you in a situation where you have a lot to lose and absolutely nothing to gain. I think for Tebow this is such a situation. If he speaks at the church, he gains nothing but risks losing millions and maybe even the hope of salvaging his career. Being sensible about how, when and where you talk about your beliefs will do far more to support your beliefs in the long run than insisting on being an idealistic martyr. Have you never bitten your tongue to avoid calling religious talk bullshit because the time and place were not appropriate? I have.  

Beyond, we are not talking about a personal view, we are talking about the difference between standing up for equality vs standing up for bigotry. Tebow is on the wrong side of history, PERIOD. Otherwise he wouldn't have backed out of the church invite.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Beyond, we are

Brian37 wrote:

Beyond, we are not talking about a personal view, we are talking about the difference between standing up for equality vs standing up for bigotry. Tebow is on the wrong side of history, PERIOD. Otherwise he wouldn't have backed out of the church invite.

Of course it is a personal view. It is a personal decision whether or not one is a bigot. It is ridiculous to believe that history has a "right" or "wrong" side or that views and beliefs that you believe are better will always become more popular in the long run. This is not the first time in history where homosexuality has been acceptable to a large portion of the population. In fact, there have been times and places in history where it was far more socially acceptable and times and places where it was far less socially acceptable. History doesn't progress towards any particular goal, it simply happens. The only thing that Tebow backing out of the church invite does is provide evidence that bigotry against homosexuals is socially unpopular right now so those who wish to be celebrities are best served by either joining the gay rights movement or avoiding the issue entirely. 

The only difference between standing up for equality and standing up for bigotry is what your personal preference is. Me: I prefer freedom.   

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Of course it is a personal view. It is a personal decision whether or not one is a bigot. It is ridiculous to believe that history has a "right" or "wrong" side or that views and beliefs that you believe are better will always become more popular in the long run. This is not the first time in history where homosexuality has been acceptable to a large portion of the population. In fact, there have been times and places in history where it was far more socially acceptable and times and places where it was far less socially acceptable. History doesn't progress towards any particular goal, it simply happens. The only thing that Tebow backing out of the church invite does is provide evidence that bigotry against homosexuals is socially unpopular right now so those who wish to be celebrities are best served by either joining the gay rights movement or avoiding the issue entirely. 

The only difference between standing up for equality and standing up for bigotry is what your personal preference is. Me: I prefer freedom.   

You prefer freedom for yourself you don't care about your actions affecting others. You are an Ayn Rand crony.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:You prefer

Brian37 wrote:

You prefer freedom for yourself you don't care about your actions affecting others. You are an Ayn Rand crony.

Nonsense.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Beyond, we are

Brian37 wrote:

oh, there's that fuckin' PERIOD in caps again.  just in case you weren't sure on which side of the black/white divide this particular issue falls, that should set you straight.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson