Dennis Rodman calls Kim Jong Un "Great Guy".

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Dennis Rodman calls Kim Jong Un "Great Guy".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
More makes me wonder how

More makes me wonder how much of NK is America's fault.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hell yeah!!

To puke or not to puke; that's one hellava question.  Weather tis nobler in the mind to suffer a flake on flake  bro-fest or to take a stab at world peace or at least common sense and normal relations? Must give us pause!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone here remember what we thought of Maoist China before the U.S. Ping Pong team was invited to Peking in 1971?  Fear and loathing! Unable to discuss diplomatic exchange; at least as bad as we think of North Korea now. China had rockets that worked and Nuclear warheads!!!  Between Taiwan, Japan, S.Korea, Thailand, Cambodia, Phillipines & (still) Viet Nam;  the U.S. had a 2 million man + war machine ready to make war on China at a moments notice. We didn't want war (Canada included at the time) but we weren't sure about China. Then a ping pong tournement takes place and several months later Pres.Nixon visits China. The world feels a lot safer and saner since then.

How does flaky Rodman and the Globtrotters make  the world saner? Maybe it doesn't. Maybe it was a complete waste of time to do and a complete waste of OUR time to even think about.  I'm sure John Kerry and the gang at Foggy bottom are disecting every word and nuance' of the bro-fest;  that's what they get paid to do.

North Korea is a living hell and a self made nusence and danger to the rest of the world. Kim Jung Un DID NOT create that situation his father and grandfather did that.  Baby Kim just inherited the mess a short time ago. Is he different enough to make NK more normal? Damned if I know, but let's not give up hope and yet be skeptical enough not to get disappointed if nothing changes.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Leia, "I am a member of the

Leia, "I am a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan... "

Vader, "You are part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor! Take her away!"

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

How does flaky Rodman and the Globtrotters make  the world saner? Maybe it doesn't. Maybe it was a complete waste of time to do and a complete waste of OUR time to even think about.  I'm sure John Kerry and the gang at Foggy bottom are disecting every word and nuance' of the bro-fest;  that's what they get paid to do.

I was thinking this before the visit. I thought maybe it was one of those things where they were trying to break the ice and get negotiations going.

If Kim was a big Bulls fan then Rodman might be a way to break the ice.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
none of the kims, including

none of the kims, including grandaddy, ever stacked up to a mao zedong.  the kims got where they were because the chinese and the soviets put them there; mao fought his way into his position with outright opposition from the soviets.  when china opened up to the US it had nothing to do with ping-pong: it happened because mao wanted it that way.  sino-soviet relations had deteriorated so badly by that time that mao wanted to keep as many options open as possible.

when mao wanted to have nothing to do with another country, he froze them out, which is exactly what he did with the US.  while domestically he kept up a steady flow of anti-american rhetoric, there was no international grandstanding, no blustering threats like with the kims.  while mao committed many of the same crimes that the kims are guilty of--state-engineered famine, mass executions, etc.--kim jong-un is a hamfisted young whelp pissing his pants with terror at the mess he's inherited.  by all accounts, mao was never afraid of anybody.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:kim jong-un is

iwbiek wrote:

kim jong-un is a hamfisted young whelp pissing his pants with terror at the mess he's inherited.  by all accounts, mao was never afraid of anybody.

Very true but what about those around Kim now? Don't you think he is more of a puppet?

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe.

digitalbeachbum wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

kim jong-un is a hamfisted young whelp pissing his pants with terror at the mess he's inherited.  by all accounts, mao was never afraid of anybody.

Very true but what about those around Kim now? Don't you think he is more of a puppet?

Events could overwhelm Kim and the old guard,  has they did in Russia when Gorbachov tried a "little tweeking" . No doubt Kim is trying to get his loyalists promoted to higher places replacing the old guard types. This could break up into a shooting match; Remember South Korea started to improve when a KCIA cheif assasinated the dictatorial president Park Chung Hee, over a personal insult.  Could Kim get nocked off by an insulted General?  Stay tuned to this soap  opera.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:iwbiek

digitalbeachbum wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

i actually don't know.  the cult of personality surrounding the kims is the closest to full-out deification ever seen in the communist world.  even stalin and mao were never referred to as being "eternal" leaders as kim il-sung is.  i wouldn't be surprised if kim's guards contained genuine fanatics who consider him something like an incarnate god or bodhisattva, like the dalai lama.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:digitalbeachbum

iwbiek wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

i actually don't know.  the cult of personality surrounding the kims is the closest to full-out deification ever seen in the communist world.  even stalin and mao were never referred to as being "eternal" leaders as kim il-sung is.  i wouldn't be surprised if kim's guards contained genuine fanatics who consider him something like an incarnate god or bodhisattva, like the dalai lama.

Japan was once that way, but only a small number of older people believe in the old ways. New generations only view them as figure heads.

Eventually N Korea will collapse and the ruling class will flee with billions of dollars and other wealth leaving the country in shambles.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Events could overwhelm Kim and the old guard,  has they did in Russia when Gorbachov tried a "little tweeking" . No doubt Kim is trying to get his loyalists promoted to higher places replacing the old guard types. This could break up into a shooting match; Remember South Korea started to improve when a KCIA cheif assasinated the dictatorial president Park Chung Hee, over a personal insult.  Could Kim get nocked off by an insulted General?  Stay tuned to this soap  opera.

This could be happening right now. If there are some people who see a weakness they might try to kill him and then take over the government, but one would need the military to back them.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The military will generally

The military will generally only back its own. If there is a military coup, it'll be some General or Admiral who's behind it.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
User is offlineOffline
Although I would like to see a Good Succession Crisis...

digitalbeachbum wrote:

This could be happening right now. If there are some people who see a weakness they might try to kill him and then take over the government, but one would need the military to back them.

Yeah, no one's going to Kill Kim Jong Un, at least not anyone looking to maintain power.  The entire NK government mythology and society is centered around deifying him and his ancestors as physical gods and has been for generations.  That's the sort of social engineering you don't just "Undo" at the push of a button because you don't like Kimmy The Third.  If there is any sort of Coup, which is more than possible, it will be a subtle one where the Military just Takes Over and Sequesters lil' Kimmy "For his own Good".  He'll probably continue to maintain symbolic power while the Military actually does everything.

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...