NATO preps to assist Turkey

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
NATO preps to assist Turkey

NATO ambassadors threw their support behind Turkey in an emergency meeting last week after Syrian shells struck a border town in Turkey killing five civilians.

The two Neighbors have repeatedly exchanged fire since then, the most serious outbreak of cross-border violence since Syria's revolt against President Bashar al-Assad erupted 18 months ago.
~
Turkey would have to request military assistance under NATO's collective defense provisions, known as Article 5 - in which an attack on one member is viewed as an attack on all.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/09/us-nato-turkey-rasmussen-idUSBRE89817420121009

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Russia, which has

Quote:
Russia, which has blocked U.N. Security Council resolutions that would allow greater western intervention in Syria, warned NATO not to intervene after the Syrian shelling.

"We expect NATO not to use this tragic incident as a pretext for interfering in the Syrian conflict," Russia's Acting Permanent Representative to NATO Nikolay Korchunov said in a written reply to questions from Reuters.

Sorry guys. You're more often right than other major powers in your foreign policy, but not this time. If Syrian military forces feel the need to fire on our ally, then we're well within our rights to come to their defence.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Assist Turkey? Why not ham

Assist Turkey? Why not ham or beef or chicken?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog