Rev. Harry Jackson doesn't want his tax exempt status.

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rev. Harry Jackson doesn't want his tax exempt status.

Ok, so this is nothing new.  But I must admit up front, that I must be ignorant on this issue because I can't figure out why preachers can flat out tell followers who to vote for, on video and not get their tax exemption challenged in court.

From IRS.gov  Exemption Requirements - Section 501(c)(3) Organizations "it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates."

Sounds like something lawyers should be going after since preachers tell their congregations who to vote for, then offer to bus them to the polls.  Here's a couple videos where Rev Harry Jackson is telling his viewers who they need to vote for (who he says and why he says to should blow your mind) and telling other churches to tell their members who to vote for. 

http://youtu.be/qsocHDdHmDI

http://youtu.be/wsJ83a8qT9U

Sooooo, why do I never hear of a church losing their status?  What am I missing here?  Anyone know about the law on this or lawyers currently trying to fight it?

"They always say the same thing; 'But evolution is only a theory!!' Which is true, I guess, and it's good they say that I think, it gives you hope that they feel the same about the theory of Gravity and they might just float the f**k away."

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Last church I remember

Last church I remember having its status revoked was Crystal Cathedral under Schuller.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1320&dat=19830423&id=_z5WAAAAIBAJ&sjid=zOkDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7184,2400195

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
"..We need to get out of

"..We need to get out of both plantations...now....before the rapture !"

What does that even mean ? 

And no disrespect intended, but is he drunk, or is that some kind of preaching style ?  I'm getting the impression this guy doesn't believe his own material.

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Last church I

jcgadfly wrote:

Last church I remember having its status revoked was Crystal Cathedral under Schuller.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1320&dat=19830423&id=_z5WAAAAIBAJ&sjid=zOkDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7184,2400195

That's WAY too long ago... should be several a year losing it until they wise up.

Anonymouse wrote:

"..We need to get out of both plantations...now....before the rapture !"

What does that even mean ? 

And no disrespect intended, but is he drunk, or is that some kind of preaching style ?  I'm getting the impression this guy doesn't believe his own material.

My gut impression is that he fully drinks the koolaid.   His take one things is even more skewed than usual fundie drivel, but I think he believes it.  As for him possibly being on the sauce while preaching... wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

"They always say the same thing; 'But evolution is only a theory!!' Which is true, I guess, and it's good they say that I think, it gives you hope that they feel the same about the theory of Gravity and they might just float the f**k away."

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Obama would have to order

Obama would have to order Holder to pursue prosecution. But, I don't believe any politicains would want to take on religion. Also, the law if it was challenged would probably be thrown out as violation of free speech. So I think for the time being this will be an unenforced rule.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen