One step closer to nuclear fusion

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
One step closer to nuclear fusion

ScienceDaily (Sep. 17, 2012) — Magnetically imploded tubes called liners, intended to help produce controlled nuclear fusion at scientific "break-even" energies or better within the next few years, have functioned successfully in preliminary tests, according to a Sandia research paper accepted for publication by Physical Review Letters (PRL).

To exceed scientific break-even is the most hotly sought-after goal of fusion research, in which the energy released by a fusion reaction is greater than the energy put into it -- an achievement that would have extraordinary energy and defense implications.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120917124210.htm

GodsUseForAMosquito
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Nuclear Fusion is one of

Nuclear Fusion is one of the most exciting advances in modern science. I just hope that unlimited clean, cheap energy will lead to general world benefit and not be hoarded by the corrupt and powerful elite to make money from.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
 Could be a good thing

Could be a good thing though I worry about the plants being bigger, badder bombs.

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
-

jcgadfly wrote:
Could be a good thing though I worry about the plants being bigger, badder bombs.

From what I know it should depend on the contruction. Anyway, the article doesn't mention this problem.