Atheists more driven by compassion than highly religious people

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheists more driven by compassion than highly religious people

www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/05/01/study-atheists-more-compassionate-than-highly-religious-people/

Study: Atheists more driven by compassion than highly religious people

By David Edwards
Tuesday, May 1, 2012 16:17 EDT

Highly religious people are less motivated by compassion than atheists, agnostics and less religious people, according to a new study.

Research from University of California, Berkeley published in the most recent edition of the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science found a stronger link between compassion and generosity among non-religious or less religious people.

“Overall, we find that for less religious people, the strength of their emotional connection to another person is critical to whether they will help that person or not,” UC Berkeley social psychologist and study co-author Robb Willer explained. “The more religious, on the other hand, may ground their generosity less in emotion, and more in other factors such as doctrine, a communal identity, or reputational concerns.”

Lead author Laura Saslow recalled she became interested in the topic after an atheist friend said he had only donated money for earthquake relief in Haiti after watching a touching video of a woman being pulled from the rubble.

“I was interested to find that this experience – an atheist being strongly influenced by his emotions to show generosity to strangers – was replicated in three large, systematic studies,” she noted.

In one experiment, researchers analyzed a 2004 survey of 1,300 American adults to find that non-believers and the less religious were more likely to participate in random acts of kindness like giving food or money to a homeless person.

“These findings indicate that although compassion is associated with pro-sociality among both less religious and more religious individuals, this relationship is particularly robust for less religious individuals,” the study said.

Two other experiments also confirmed that more religious participants seemed to be less generous.

“Overall, this research suggests that although less religious people tend to be less trusted in the U.S., when feeling compassionate, they may actually be more inclined to help their fellow citizens than more religious people,” Willer concluded.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Someone is trying to ruin our hard-won reputation.

Where is Ayn Rand when you need her?

tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
User is offlineOffline
Extreme already started a

Extreme already started a thread on this   http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/31918

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Someone needs to look in the

Someone needs to look in the mirror when posting an article about compassion.

"Atheist" is merely a position, not a moral code and for you to post what you have here over the years Oxford's dictionary should have a picture of you next to the word "HYPOCRITE".

Ayn Rand was fucked in the head and I don't give one shit that she was an atheist.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Brian37 wrote:
Someone needs to look in the mirror when posting an article about compassion.

"Atheist" is merely a position, not a moral code and for you to post what you have here over the years Oxford's dictionary should have a picture of you next to the word "HYPOCRITE".

Ayn Rand was fucked in the head and I don't give one shit that she was an atheist.

I have also condemned every mlitary dictatorship of the Palestinians over Jews. I have been exactly even-handed and equitable.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Ayn Rand was

Brian37 wrote:

fixed wrote:
Anyone that is diametrically opposed to my ideology is fucked in the head

I'm of the opinion that it takes moar than ideology to be "fucked in the head", but I'll say that repeatedly tarbrushing a personal nemesis in such a way that is a bit... out of touch with reality comes a bit closer than most criteria.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is onlineOnline
I was going to post this,

I was going to post this, but by the time I got around to it, it was already here. lol.

Rand's ideas are just examples of what happens when people fail to think things through. Much like all Libertarians.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Vastet wrote:
I was going to post this, but by the time I got around to it, it was already here. lol. Rand's ideas are just examples of what happens when people fail to think things through. Much like all Libertarians.

Rand should have stuck with fiction. People who take her fiction as practicle advice for the real world as the same kind that dress up in super hero costumes and battle muggers.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml