Science self-test

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Science self-test

In case anyone is interested, The Christian Science Monitor has a 50-question science self-test at:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/1209/Are-you-scientifically-literate-Take-our-quiz/How-did-you-do

My dumb ass got 41 questions right...so if you do worse, it's your own fault!  (I should mention: as near as I can tell, this test is relying upon *real* science.  For example: the answer the test lists as "correct" on the question of the age of the earth, does seem to in fact be correct, as far as I know.

Full disclosure: I made some right guesses.  Obviously, I also made some wrong ones.  Happy self-testing!

Conor

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Faith does not fear reason."--Pope Pius XII

"But it should!"--Me

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Heh, heh...oops

Okay, here's the real link:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/1209/Are-you-scientifically-literate-Take-our-quiz/Composing-about-78-percent-of-the-air-at-sea-level-what-is-the-most-common-gas-in-the-Earth-s-atmosphere

I lied, earlier.

Conor

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"But it should!"--Me

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

I think you gave the wrong link.  When I got there it had all the answers already showing.

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Try the new link

My bad.  I apologize.  I did indeed give the wrong link--the first time around.  The second link should work better.  (One of these days, I really will slow down and be more careful...)

Conor

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"But it should!"--Me

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
11 wrong. Surprised at how

11 wrong.

Surprised at how much I remembered - some of it from grade school.

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

I got 33 of 50 correct, or 66%.  I was getting worried for awhile; I was hoping to get at least 30 out of 50.  That would've sucked if I only got 20-something.

I guess I have a ways to go for my Science Freak badge...

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Philosophicus wrote:I got 33

Philosophicus wrote:

I got 33 of 50 correct, or 66%.  I was getting worried for awhile; I was hoping to get at least 30 out of 50.  That would've sucked if I only got 20-something.

I guess I have a ways to go for my Science Freak badge...

9 wrong, but a few I got by process of elimination.  Not so much that I knew what the correct answer was, but I was fairly certain the other three were wrong.   I have gotten the Nitrogen question wrong (blushes... ).  

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

HumanVuvuzela
atheist
HumanVuvuzela's picture
User is offlineOffline
I managed to get 43 / 50 -

I managed to get 43 / 50 - not doing physics at school cost me a few guesses, and I'm way too lazy to sit down and work out the number of nanometres in a centimetre.... I had a couple of lucky guesses on the 'space' ones, so I'm pretty happy overall. I knew there had to be a reason to memorise the first 20 elements of the periodic table....

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

I knew how many nanometers and centimeters there were in a meter, but I messed up the calculation.  I guessed 1,000,000, I think the answer was 10,000,000. 

...Wait a minute.  I just finished a new calculation -- I know what I did wrong.  I wrote down a "1" with nine zeros after it, then I wrote a "100" underneath it with the last digits lined up.  Then I accidentally eliminated three digits from the nanometer number... I included the "1" from the centimeter number instead of just eliminating the two zeros. 

aaah!

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conor Wilson wrote:In case

Conor Wilson wrote:

In case anyone is interested, The Christian Science Monitor has a 50-question science self-test at:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/1209/Are-you-scientifically-literate-Take-our-quiz/How-did-you-do

My dumb ass got 41 questions right...so if you do worse, it's your own fault!  (I should mention: as near as I can tell, this test is relying upon *real* science.  For example: the answer the test lists as "correct" on the question of the age of the earth, does seem to in fact be correct, as far as I know.

None of the answers for the Earth's age are correct.  I know that it is 5,777 years, plus 6 days of unknown length.

(Shlogging my way through the test right now -- will have results shortly ...)

I got 45 out of 50.  I missed =three= Biology questions (d'oh -- I hated biology in school and never took it in college), made a careless error on a Physics question, a blew the only Meteorology question because no one ever taught me what the roots of certain words mean ...

I am very embarrassed.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I hate that I got the

I hate that I got the answer to this one only because of the bible reference.  

Quote:

48. What element, which has the atomic number 16 and is a bright yellow crystalline solid at room temperature, is referred to in the Bible as "brimstone"?

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:None of

FurryCatHerder wrote:

None of the answers for the Earth's age are correct.  I know that it is 5,777 years, plus 6 days of unknown length.

You should be embarrassed.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

You should be embarrassed.

You're right -- the UNIVERSE is 5,777 years old, plus six days of unknown length.  Solve for the unknown

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

They should've had some social science questions in there.  Most of the science surveys are all natural science.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Philosophicus wrote:They

Philosophicus wrote:

They should've had some social science questions in there.  Most of the science surveys are all natural science.

That's because the Social Sciences are Science the same way Papa John's Pizza is Italian food.

(Obscure Colbert Report reference)

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
In 1989, the US postal

In 1989, the US postal service drew criticism from paleontologists for releasing a stamp with what obsolete genus name, which translates from Greek as "Thunder Lizard"

Yeah, so, this had little to do with my scientific knowledge. I got this right cause I know Greek.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

Zaq
atheist
Zaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
46 out of 50

^^^ I got that one right because I remembered which of my treasured childhood dinosaurs stopped being a dinosaur Sad

46 for me.  W00t!

Questions for Theists:
http://silverskeptic.blogspot.com/2011/03/consistent-standards.html

I'm a bit of a lurker. Every now and then I will come out of my cave with a flurry of activity. Then the Ph.D. program calls and I must fall back to the shadows.

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
42 here 

42 here 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Question 4, at least, was

Question 4, at least, was American based knowledge. I only got it right by an educated guess that the non-existent brontosaur was the controversy. I'd never heard of any postal issues.

I stopped about half way through. Too many history questions. And my chemistry knowledge is apparently quite lacking. lol.
I did well on everything else though.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.