Movie Review/Analysis: Allegory Of Pandorum

HandBanana
User is offlineOffline
Movie Review/Analysis: Allegory Of Pandorum

http://onedeviousbastard.blogspot.com/2011/07/movie-analysis-symbolism-in-pandorum.html

I actually showed a similar examination of mine on this film to Natural on youtube a couple months back. This is a reexamination that I would like to share with the community of this site. I would like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi HandBanana, welcome to

Hi HandBanana, welcome to the forum!

I remember that. I had written a long response to the blog post, and it got swallowed by the internet after I forgot to copy the text. I was so disappointed I ended up just subscribing instead of re-writing it.

For those wondering, here's the context:

My post after watching Pandorum: http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/18466

Old discussion on it at A/N: http://www.atheistnexus.org/forum/topics/pandorum-2009-directed-by?groupUrl=atheistcinema

Overall I was disappointed. I've since had my suspicions confirmed that Dennis Quaid has a penchant for appearing in pro-religious anti-athiest themed movies (not the whole movie, just as a minor theme). E.g. Soul Surfer, he plays the dad of the surfer daughter, and the movie is surprisingly religious (the real girl's family is very religious, so that's no crime).

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

HandBanana
User is offlineOffline
I don't really think that

I don't really think that was the message. I think the antagonist's words about God was to fit the whole "Inferno" theme it had.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
HandBanana wrote:I don't

HandBanana wrote:

I don't really think that was the message. I think the antagonist's words about God was to fit the whole "Inferno" theme it had.

I don't see how your thesis and my thesis are mutually exclusive. It may have been making allusions to Inferno, and it may have been sub-consciously anti-atheist at the same time. Considering the idea of Hell, a place of torture for 'sinners' and non-believers, the idea is not really that hard to imagine. It would be hard for a story paralleling Inferno to not be anti-atheist.

My position is not that the film-makers specifically went out to make a specifically anti-atheist movie. I doubt that happens very much (although I know for a fact it has happened more than once -- ahem, Ben Stein). My position is simply that the brain-dead 'Hollywood Atheist' portrayal by Quaid, the silly faux-science of the 'evolution' in the story, and the whole idea that the 'bad guy' 'thinks he's god' (because hey, if you don't believe in our god, you must obviously believe that you yourself are god! <sigh> ), is straight out of the extremely common anti-atheist playbook. The film-makers probably don't even realize it, just like anti-gay sentiment would have been invisible to film-makers in the 1950s. That's the point I'm concerned with. It's a tired cliche that needs to be challenged.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

HandBanana
User is offlineOffline
Well to be fair

I see your point but to be fair the antagonist never claimed he was god, one of the other characters did. He had only claimed to be a "king".