Christian Controversy - Typing In Tongues

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christian Controversy - Typing In Tongues

Can you laugh in tongues? That is what I am doing.

Big controversy at the Christian Post. Pentecostal minister Juanita Bynum  on facebook is typing in tongues. They are trying to decide if that is <snicker> from Jeebus </snicker>, the "many breasted one"

http://www.christianpost.com/news/televangelist-juanita-bynum-raises-brows-with-tongues-prayer-on-facebook-54779/

Christian Post wrote:

Pentecostal televangelist and self-professed prophetess Juanita Bynum has sparked curiosity among some Internet users and the Christian community for several comments on the minister's Facebook page where she appears to type "in tongues."

n the first message time stamped 3:57 p.m., it appeared that Juanita Bynum II, the account holder for the Facebook page, started praying for Zachery Tims, the Florida megachurch minister who was found dead in a New York City hotel room on Aug. 12:

GOD WE PRAY FOR THE DESTINY CHURCH FAMILY....WE PRAY FOR THE STRENGTH OF PASTOR RIVA TIMS....MIGHTY GOD...GIVE US STRENGTH.....WE ARE THE BODY THAT FEELS THIS PAIN.....WE ALL FEEL IT.....COVER THE MINDS OF HIS CHILDREN...GRAB THEM UP IN YOUR ARMS LORD JESUS......BE A COMFORT TO THEM.....YOU ARE THE MANY BREASTED ONE....

The prayer continued in a second post with the same time stamp:

YOU ARE THE ROCK AND THE SHIELD AND THE ANCHOR.......WARD OFF ALL THE VULCHERS...WHO WILL COME FOR GREEDY GAIN AND NOT BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO ARE HURTING IN THAT CHURCH......SEND THEM HELP FATHER...SEND THEM SPIRITUAL HELP THAT WOULD HELP TO HEAL THEM AND RESTORE THEIR LEGS IN YOU GOD!!!!!

In the third post, published about a minute later, the "tongues" text started to appear:

GIRD THEM UP IN THE SPIRIT...GIVE THEM A MIND TO PRAY LIKE NEVER BEFORE....WE CALL ON YOU JESUS....YOU ARE OUR HELP AND OUR HOPE!!!!!!!!NDHDIUBGUGTRUCGNRTUGTIGRTIGRGBNRDRGNGGJNRIC YOU ARE OUR HELP AND OUR HOPE....RFSCNGUGHURGVHKTGHDKUNHSTNSVHGN YOU GOD......YOU ARE OUR HELP AND OUR HOPE!!!!!! OUR HOPE IS IN YOU FATHER......OUR STRENGTH FOR SUCH A TIME AS THIS IS IN YOU FATHER......HELP US NOW......LORD WE DONT ASK FOR HELP FOR JUST THEM....THIS IS US....THIS IS A PART OF OUR OWN BODY.....

Several prayer posts with intelligible spellings continued to appear and visitors to Bynum's Facebook page began questioning the text.

Bynum's prayer posts soon caught the attention of the media, with one reporter at a spirituality and faith website speculating that the minister was communicating "in tongues."

On one prayer post, visitor Cindy McCraw commented, expressing her agreement.

"I believe it's tongues (holy spirit). It's called praying in the Spirit," McCraw wrote.

Another visitor to the page expressed disbelief.

"Are you typing tongues? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me," questioned Damita Stargell.

Since the prayer posts have appeared, visitors have been debating whether it was possible for a Christian to write or type in tongues, since the Bible only depicts those inspired by the Holy Spirit speaking in tongues.

"I'm not sure about typing in tongues, guys...keep praying though, but let's not type in tongues...that's not even biblical," wrote Jeremiah Givens, adding the hashtag "#allInLove" at the end of his comment.

Other visitors to Bynum's Facebook page were calling for the inexplicable text to be translated, and for the Pentecostal minister to address the speculation that she was typing in tongues.

"God did not tell her to type in tongues...I think every sane/spiritual person knows this to be true... an explanation/interpretation should really be made in order for the confusion and ruckus to cease," wrote Kischa Loree Pena .

Pena continued, "Dr. Bynum...I think you should defend yourself. If the spirit fell so hard that you lost control of your typing, just say so. Too many people are being led astray and fed false teaching/doctrine in a time when a pure and sincere relationship with our heavenly Father is necessary...and I am saddened by these posts."

The Christian Post called the Dr. Juanita Bnyum Ministries Tuesday and asked for a comment regarding the controversial prayer posts. A message was taken but CP was informed by a receptionist that it was unclear if anyone intended to return the call.

Bynum's prayer posts have attracted more than 2,000 "likes" and hundreds of supporting comments.

On the Dr. Juanita Bynum Ministries website, the minister is described as an "International Empowerment Lecturer, Recording Artist, Author, Conference Host and Entrepreneur."

Bynum, whose ministry is based in Atlanta, Ga., gained the attention of the mainstream media in 2007 when her then-husband, Thomas Weeks III, pleaded guilty to physically assaulting her in a hotel parking lot.

Fer & Ag'in comments. This will continue to grow and will be fun to watch.

Ag'in: One commentator

This isn't of God, because the Bible clearly lays out how the gift of tongues is to be used. If there is no one to interpret, then that person should remnain silent. Meaning that the tongues gift is a controllable gift, not one where the person is controlled and swept up in an uncontrolable fit. We are called to test ALL the spirits, and if they do not completely line up with the word of God, then they are not of God. It's just that simple.

Ag'in:  "getting real"

Let's get real here.....And eye cannot hear, an ear cannot smell. I understand that fingers can communicate and write languages, but fingers are NOT tongues and cannot speak audibly. Tongues are a Spirit manifestation of audible communication. Some people can twist the Word to mean whatever they want it to. 

Think about this road you are thinking about going down. If this nonsense is possible, I could type "Thus sayeth the Lord" and drop my coffee cup on my keyboard and no one......and I do mean NO ONE could discern or distingush that I have manufactured what I call a sincere manifestation of the Holy Spirit of God. 

Fer: wise people are stupid (in the voice of Butthead)

I love it! Its funny how the "wise" are confounded by things that are not of this world! Go Juanita! You rock!

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Antipatris
atheist
Antipatris's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm going to try that on

I'm going to try that on catholicanswers forum straight away.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
There are many things from

There are many things from Abrahamic religions that wreak of bullshit, but glossolaly takes the cake.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The only thing that

The only thing that surprises me about this is that it took 20 years before enough christians plugged into the net for it to happen and make a headline.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

nude0007
atheist
nude0007's picture
User is offlineOffline
tongue typing

I believe in tongue typing.  I think all xtians should use their tongue to type everything.  If the example she showed is any indication, not only would no one be able to understand what they mean, but it would take them far longer to post messages.  A double bonus we sorely need. (grin)

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hate how over used the

I hate how over used the word "controversy" is.

There is no "controversy". How other Christians who buy the same magic baby story can laugh at Pentacostals(sp) when they too buy virgin birth stories is laughable itself.

I love it when believers of one sect or one religion point to outsiders and poke fun of them. I always get the image of a comic book convention where rival fans argue over which comic book character is better.

"Klingons are real Kirk DAMN IT"!

"The Force is real Luke Damn it"

So some nuts like making up gibberish? How is that any more stupid than magic underwear or blowing oneself up because you think you might get laid in a cosmic orgy in the after life?

HELLO both of you like talking to yourself and like the idea of an imaginary sky daddy.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greed . . .

Greed . . . 

Quote:
.. WHO WILL COME FOR GREEDY GAIN AND NOT BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE PEOPLE  ..

Wiki Links Definition :: Greed is an excessive desire to possess wealth or goods with the intention to keep it for one's self.

= = = = =

Shouldnt  I be able to google the gibberish part and end up at a site or it connect to something of sense? Maybe?

Oh, But it is to no avail  Sad  After googling I learned "user does not have to manage his services"..  And You will be able to conquer these things that annoy. Oh, And something about linux. I am at a lose for words. Is any site safe that promised the installation of free software under Linux? Now who is stupid for holding on to all those distros?    You wonder if the gibberish part was supposed to get us over there ? The World may never know. If you dont know what I am talking about, I doubt it matters in this Thread.

nude0007
atheist
nude0007's picture
User is offlineOffline
hey, let's try this:

RTIJDFBPKODJGKTN[ODFIGJHFDSPOKGJOSIGHOIFDG.  

we are in luck, i can interpret my own tongue: "Why would anyone WANT to type a message no one understands, so that someone else can interpret it?"

Yeah, I used tongue shorthand up there.  Now to get all the slobber off my keyboard.  Yuck!

nebula
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Christian Post wrote:On the

Christian Post wrote:

On the Dr. Juanita Bynum Ministries website, the minister is described as an "International Empowerment Lecturer, Recording Artist, Author, Conference Host and Entrepreneur."

Oh for fuck's sake.   

Deadly Fingergun
atheist
Deadly Fingergun's picture
User is offlineOffline
Seems to me such things are

Seems to me such things are an attempt to excuse allowing the cat to traipse across the keyboard.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

nude0007 wrote:
 I believe in tongue typing.  I think all xtians should use their tongue to type everything.  If the example she showed is any indication, not only would no one be able to understand what they mean, but it would take them far longer to post messages.  A double bonus we sorely need. (grin)

AHKIFDFJYFRSWDFHLVSADFJARUIGSJDWEGG

Care to guess what I typed that with?

You are probably wrong. It was the blunt end of a screwdriver.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=