Christian - Atheist Dictionary

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christian - Atheist Dictionary

Was reading some of Bob Spence's posts. Then I was trying to get to sleep, apparently mulling over what he had written and then this idea popped into my head of creating here a Christian - Atheist dictionary.  Might be a dumb idea, but putting it out to see if anyone thinks it is worth contributing to. We do speak two different languages even though the words are the same.

I will start a few and see how it goes. Feel free to revise any I add.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Theory

1) Christian - only a guess.

2) Atheist - A scientific theory comprises a collection of concepts, including abstractions of observable phenomena expressed as quantifiable properties, together with rules (called scientific laws) that express relationships between observations of such concepts. A scientific theory is constructed to conform to available empirical data about such observations, and is put forth as a principle or body of principles for explaining a class of phenomena

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Belief

1) Christian - necessary for salvation, aka faith.

2) Atheist - a subjective view point

Religion Kills !!!

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Knowledge

1) Christian - for fools, mostly a waste of time unless it is knowledge of His will, which is the only thing you can truly know.

2) Atheist - Subjective, flawed, limited. Must be cross checked and validated by the scientific method.

Religion Kills !!!

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion

1) Christian - what the other churches have

2) Atheist - the bane of civilization

Religion Kills !!!

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Christian: A person gripped with the delusion that the new testament is suited to the needs of all who surround him.

Atheist: A person who holds that what is really obvious is suited to those around him.

Deist: A fence sitter who accept what is before his eyes but will not give up on the idea of invisible magic sky daddies.

Agnostic: A different type of fence sitter. He simply refuses to make up his mind.

Unitarian: No definition exists as they refuse to admit to anything one way or the other.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
The best definition I ever

The best definition I ever saw:

Christianity:
 The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree... yeah, makes perfect sense.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
--> Word

--> Definition

Perhaps I wasn't clear. The subject would be the Word and in the body would be the Definition.

Here is my first post from above:

The word is "Theory" and you can see the definition in the body. The second posting the word was "Belief", etc.

Perhaps I should have put the word in the body as well.

So I mean to take an English word that Christians have one definition for an Atheist have another. 

Religion Kills !!!

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
God

God

Christian: The living creator and manager of the universe; the trinity - God the Father, God the Sun, God the Holy Ghost all are the one God; the first cause.

Atheist: a construct invented by primitive men attempting to explain how life began and "who" controls it. Every primitive civilization invented one. Used to control and manipulate others.

Religion Kills !!!

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Christian: A person gripped with the delusion that the new testament is suited to the needs of all who surround him.

Atheist: A person who holds that what is really obvious is suited to those around him.

Deist: A fence sitter who accept what is before his eyes but will not give up on the idea of invisible magic sky daddies.

Agnostic: A different type of fence sitter. He simply refuses to make up his mind.

Unitarian: No definition exists as they refuse to admit to anything one way or the other.

AiG,

Most of the time I see in your subject line and in the first line of the body this 

"p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }"

Why is that?

Religion Kills !!!

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bible

Bible

Christian: aka Holy Bible. The inspired Word of God. The revelation of His son, Jesus Christ. This book is the source of all wisdom regarding understanding the one true God.

Atheist: a primitive book of myths, that is man made, flawed as any other book. See also Koran, Book of Mormom, the Book of the Dead, Bhagavad Gita and hundreds of others. 

Religion Kills !!!

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Evolution

Evolution

Christian: a "scientific" myth; a religion; evolution from one species to another is impossible; only adaptation within "kinds" is possible. See creation.        

Atheist: Evolution is change over time, specifically biological evolution are changes in inherited traits developing distinguishing characteristics of living organisms in anatomy, biochemistry and behavior. 

Religion Kills !!!

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sometimes I try to come up

Sometimes I try to come up with words that break out of these christian/atheist word meaning confusions. Here's a couple I've found quite useful:

Free will

(Christian) - the god-given ability to freely give up your free will to god.

(generic Atheist) - the imaginary ability to defy the laws of the universe.

(see also: Conscious choice)

Conscious choice

- the natural, physical ability to be aware of the your own decision making, and to consciously deliberate over the potential future outcomes of your choices, as well as to consciously commit to a particular choice.

Materialism

(Christian) - the sinful belief that the 'material world' is all that is, and that greediness and selfishness are good.

(generic Atheist) - the philosophical belief that the universe is made up of one kind of 'stuff', which is called 'matter', in contrast to dualism and idealism.

(see also: Physicalism)

Physicalism

- the philosophical stance that all things are ultimately physical (potentially able to be studied by the physical sciences), including minds. This can include 'stuff' beyond simply 'matter', such as space, time, energy, forces, etc., as long as it is physical.

Here's a random one more along the lines of the OP:

Love

(Christian: liberal) - God

(Christian: moderate) - Jesus' crucifixion

(Christian: conservative) - worshipping God

(Christian: wacko) - carrying out 'God's will' in this life, regardless of what any tool of Satan cares.

(Atheist) - Love

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
evidence / truth

evidence / truth

Christian - the bible and subjective direction from the holy spirit Atheist - something beyond agenda, bias and anecdote. Primary observation of a phenomena and independent confirmations. Certitude is based on the quantity and quality of evidence.

Religion Kills !!!

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Truth

Christian Truth : When I agree with myself (or we Christians agree with each other) on what I/we feel is most likely to be reality. With strong emotional attachment.

Atheist Truth : Adapting to increased depth of tested data, and consistent with reality. With no emotional attachment.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
 CoincidenceChristian: If

Coincidence

Christian: If corresponds to our thoughts, it is an act of God. If not, see below.

Atheist: An event happening for trivial cause that is meaningless to us, bearing no causal relationship to what we think.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Uplifting Music/Gospel Music

Uplifting Music/Gospel Music

Christian: Music to worship God which delights the Creator. It also brings joy to the Christian soldier and provides a sense of community.

Atheist: Propaganda music to give a false sense of hope. It affects the brain emotionally and turns off the rational part of the brain. The emotional high is interpreted as a religious experience. In ancient times armies used music to inspire people to battle giving their lives. And so you have Christian songs like "Onward Christian soldiers, marching as to war"

Religion Kills !!!

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Joy

Joy

Christian: Being joyful is not acting giddy or foolish. It is unaffected by circumstances. It is a state of mind, an orientation of the heart. It is shared by a community and requires a relationship with God.      

Atheist: A woman's name.  

Religion Kills !!!

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Faith

Faith (aka Blind Faith)

Christian= Important. A virtue. Open heart.

Atheist= Impractical. Often fatal. Delusional.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris