I cannot be
What others want
I cannot live
A scripted life

We can only do
The best we can
Be kind to others
And live our lives

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
I enjoyed this one. What was

I enjoyed this one. What was the inspiration?

Why do I strive to be what I am not? But then what am I but what I strive to be?

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
TGBaker wrote:I enjoyed this

TGBaker wrote:

Why do I strive to be what I am not? But then what am I but what I strive to be?

A lifetime of trying to fit someone else's mold. I am 44 and only in the past decade have I become comfortable in my own skin. I still deal with some insecurities as a result of a lifetime of taking on other people's baggage, but I am aware now more than ever that all I can be is myself.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:TGBaker

Brian37 wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

A lifetime of trying to fit someone else's mold. I am 44 and only in the past decade have I become comfortable in my own skin. I still deal with some insecurities as a result of a lifetime of taking on other people's baggage, but I am aware now more than ever that all I can be is myself.

I'm a 56 year old hippie and my generation was about being yourself. Of course it seldom happens. I've spent half a century trying.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism