Ball Bearing Cuddles From the Religion of Peace

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ball Bearing Cuddles From the Religion of Peace

A SUICIDE bomber killed at least 35 people and wounded dozens when he blew himself up in the packed arrivals hall of Moscow's largest airport.

There were scenes of carnage at Domodedovo airport in southern Moscow as corpses were stretchered out of the smoke-filled arrivals area after the blast, the latest deadly attack to hit the capital after the metro bombings in last March.

Describing the attack as an act of terror, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev chaired an emergency meeting of top officials and ordered a special security regime across the country's main airports and railway stations.

Russia's Western partners strongly condemned the blast, with US President Barack Obama describing the attack as "outrageous" and German Chancellor Angela Merkel saying she was dismayed by the "cowardly" act.

"Today at 4:32pm an explosion went off in the international arrivals hall of Domodedovo airport," the Russian investigative committee said in a statement.

Airport spokeswoman Elena Galanova said that the blast had gone off in a freely accessible public area of the airport where passengers meet relatives after passing customs.

At least 35 people were killed, she said, a figure confirmed by the investigative committee. At least 130 were wounded, the health ministry said in a statement. It said that of the wounded, 20 were in a serious condition.

"All of a sudden I heard a huge bang, as if something had fallen. No-one understood what had happened," Elena, a Lufthansa stewardess, said at the airport. "Everyone was in shock."

A Briton and other foreigners were among those killed, the Interfax news agency quoted a security source as saying. However despite the mayhem, the airport carried on working normally with only handful of flights affected, Domodedovo said.

Russian investigators found a head of "Arab appearance" that is presumed to have belonged to the suicide bomber responsible for setting off the blast, Interfax said.

According to preliminary information, the bomber was a resident of the overwhelmingly Muslim Northern Caucasus region, Interfax said.

"A blast went off at Domodedovo that, according to preliminary information, was an act of terror," Medvedev said in televised remarks. "It is necessary to introduce a special regime in all airports and transportation hubs."

Medvedev said the incident showed that Russia's security regulations were not being followed properly. "What happened indicates that far from all the laws that need to be working are being used correctly," said Medvedev.

Russian security services had received warnings that an act of terror would be carried out at one of the Moscow airports and three suspects had even been identified, the RIA Novosti news agency said.

The LifeNews.ru website said many victims had metal fragements embedded in their bodies and the explosive device was packed with bolts, nuts, nails and ball bearings.

"Burned people are running about.. they are carrying pieces of flesh on stretchers," one eyewitness, named as Andrei, told Russian City FM radio.

Prime Minister Vladimir Putin had been informed of the incident, his spokesman Dmitry Peskov told Interfax.

The blast also represented a major setback for Russia's international image and confidence in its security as it gears up to hold two major sporting events, the Winter Olympics in 2014 and the 2018 World Cup.

Medvedev has postponed his visit to the World Economic Forum in Davos, planned for this week, as a result of the blast, Kremlin spokeswoman Natalya Timakova said.

Moscow police have stepped up security across the city after the blast.

Domodedovo Airport is Russia's largest airport in terms of passenger numbers and takes flights from top international companies including British Airways, Lufthansa and Swiss.

The Russian capital has been repeatedly rocked by attacks over the last years blamed on militants from the Northern Caucasus region, where Russia has for years been battling an Islamist insurgency.

Double bombings carried out by two female suicide bombers on the Moscow metro on March 29, 2010, killed 40 and wounded more than 100.

The Kremlin fought two wars against separatist rebels in Chechnya in the 1990s but the insurgency has now become more Islamist in tone and has spread to neighbouring Ingushetia and Dagestan.

However officials have repeatedly warned of the risk of attacks in Russia's heartland.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
And they just kept on moving

And they just kept on moving flights?  Man, if that was America flights would be grounded for days all over the country.

Sounds like a bad one though.  I'm afraid suicide bombing is here to stay.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:And they

mellestad wrote:
And they just kept on moving flights? Man, if that was America flights would be grounded for days all over the country.

Well, Russians think differently. When the terrorists back in the 80's hit them once, the Russians hunted the families of the terrorists and killed them. They were not bothered again.

I don't know if that tactic will work out this time, as we have a new breed of terrorists but if they do the same thing again, we shall see what comes of matters.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
*shakes head Not much to be

*shakes head Not much to be said really... all those poor people.  I'm sure that the Russian response will be severe but that won't solve anything.  It's a really hopeless situation.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:*shakes head Not

Ktulu wrote:

*shakes head Not much to be said really... all those poor people.  I'm sure that the Russian response will be severe but that won't solve anything.  It's a really hopeless situation.

Sure, severe response is important so the surviving family members will feel better. But war against terrorism is nonsense. The main thing that causes terrorism to appear in almost every country, is injustice. They would happily sit and smoke hookah, but when something bad happens to them, they want something bad to happen to others. 

The fact that governments respond to terrorism by war shows, that they either don't understand the cause of it, or do not want to solve it. Civilian loses are a price cheap enough compared to benefits of their unfair policy. Acts of terrorism open doors to acts of war and to much more interesting budgets which would be otherwise pass through parliament. Poor muslims do not realize, that when they go for a walk in hundred directions at once, they only make it worse for the remaining muslims. If they are so well organized, why don't they make pressure on democratic governments to stop military actions and start humanitary actions? Probably because in their hurt they are just as selfish and short-sighted as the governments in their power.

Severe response is a typical policy. For example, George Bush senior could either offer Iraq economic aid and create a peaceful country, (which was suggested to him) or he could go to Gulf war, wasting huge amounts of money, innocent lives and natural resources, while the aggressor was not punished. I wonder where the political shit-headedness comes from. Why is it so diffcult to do the right thing, once you sit in the right chair?

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Ktulu

Luminon wrote:

Ktulu wrote:

Sure, severe response is important so the surviving family members will feel better. But war against terrorism is nonsense. The main thing that causes terrorism to appear in almost every country, is injustice. They would happily sit and smoke hookah, but when something bad happens to them, they want something bad to happen to others. 

The fact that governments respond to terrorism by war shows, that they either don't understand the cause of it, or do not want to solve it. Civilian loses are a price cheap enough compared to benefits of their unfair policy. Acts of terrorism open doors to acts of war and to much more interesting budgets which would be otherwise pass through parliament. Poor muslims do not realize, that when they go for a walk in hundred directions at once, they only make it worse for the remaining muslims. If they are so well organized, why don't they make pressure on democratic governments to stop military actions and start humanitary actions? Probably because in their hurt they are just as selfish and short-sighted as the governments in their power.

Severe response is a typical policy. For example, George Bush senior could either offer Iraq economic aid and create a peaceful country, (which was suggested to him) or he could go to Gulf war, wasting huge amounts of money, innocent lives and natural resources, while the aggressor was not punished. I wonder where the political shit-headedness comes from. Why is it so diffcult to do the right thing, once you sit in the right chair?

War is what we know.  It's simple, it lets people know the government is doing something.  It lets you impose your will, other methods don't have as direct a way to do that.  It satisfies the instinctual urge to vilify other groups.  Psychologically, war is probably easier.

Overall, the problem is that humans don't have as much institutional knowledge and history about imposing peace and prosperity as we do imposing war.

Imagine what kind of changes could have been wrought on the world with the Iraq war budget.  Or take the peace corp and the pentagon and swap budgets, haha.

Depressing.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Sure, severe

Luminon wrote:

Sure, severe response is important so the surviving family members will feel better. But war against terrorism is nonsense. The main thing that causes terrorism to appear in almost every country, is injustice.

The goal of the Muslim religion is total global domination and forced submission to the religion and sharia law. These people will not stop until everyone is forced to be a fundamentalist Muslim. How is that not injustice?

Sure governments make mistakes in their polices and war prosecution. But for you to claim the problem has nothing to do with the 'religion of peace' is ridiculous.

And who decides what is justice? Where does a standard of justice come from anyways?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Injustice

I used to be a highland scot before the english stole my people's land. Could some one hold my handbag while while I go detonate myself in Trafalgar Square?

What - no one wants to help? I didn't think so.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Luminon

EXC wrote:

Luminon wrote:

Sure, severe response is important so the surviving family members will feel better. But war against terrorism is nonsense. The main thing that causes terrorism to appear in almost every country, is injustice.

The goal of the Muslim religion is total global domination and forced submission to the religion and sharia law. These people will not stop until everyone is forced to be a fundamentalist Muslim. How is that not injustice?

Of course that is injustice, and it is a typical response on persecution. Muslim leaders are not that stupid, they know that between them and the world domination stands America, Russia and China. If given reasonable terms, I mean reasonable,  very much unlike these given to Yasir Arafat about returning a tiny fraction of original palestinian land, then muslims are likely to accept the offer.

EXC wrote:
Sure governments make mistakes in their polices and war prosecution. But for you to claim the problem has nothing to do with the 'religion of peace' is ridiculous.
Firstly, please tell me where is that term "religion of peace" mentioned in reference to Islam. Is that from Koran? I really couldn't google it up, all pages only show up how it is NOT a religion of peace. Well, anyway, there is no more absolute peace than death, so that's what Islam is up to.

Secondly, the last thing muslims need is military and economic persecution. This makes them more extreme, angry, militaristic, expansive and flocked together. What Muslims need is normal civilized life, you know, with food, water, education and so on. They must soften out from the civilized life. There must be lots of diplomatic contacts and media reports, so that muslim culture will get infected by western laziness. This must be accompanied by iron secular law of punishing violence and riots. Maybe then muslims driven into orderly life will be introduced to other beauties of their culture -like tassawuf and sheesha instead of jihad and sharia.

EXC wrote:
And who decides what is justice? Where does a standard of justice come from anyways?

You remember Justitia? That girl with sword and scales. She's supposed to be virginally innocent, but modern times required her to wear additional blindfold. You should look at the scales. Scales symbolize balance, equal reaction for every action. That is the basis of justice. We can spice it up by introducing preventive, rehabilitative and educative policy, but the law of Cause and effect is the main point.

Ancient nomadic Jews understood it wrongly, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. But more recent farming Jews had it explained better, as you sow, so you shall reap. Justice is really simple, until lawyers start their legal te(a)rms race.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I think I'm with Luminon on

I think I'm with Luminon on this.  Sort of.

On one hand, I'm not sure how effective peace and love would be short term.

On the long term though, he is right...I doubt Christianity would have ever experienced reform if it was under Islamic military assault.

Interesting question though, has any idealogical movement ever reformed in the midst of a conflict?

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'd agree

If it were proven that the violence stopped when the overt oppression stopped. But it demonstrably does not. There will always be room for muslims to claim oppression and their response will not be that of Ghandi or Mandela, a response that succeeds peacefully. It will be violence.

Mine is a polar position, I agree. But when the next uni educated young man of a wealthy family blows himself up in the west it will be up to you guys to manufacture the sense of oppression he must have felt that somehow created a reality in which the west 'deserved' to be assaulted by immigrants we took on expecting them to happily integrate into our society, not the other way around. 

My personal position is that muslim immigration to the West should stop and I think until the mainstream parties take this onboard we will see the rise of right wing nutbags such as those we see in Austria, Denmark, the Netherlands and even Britain, with the growing strength of the BNP, a party whose policies are eerily familiar.

We all have our historical grievances. What we do about them, how we deal with them, is what defines a person and a civilisation. The concepts of islam and the concepts of the rights of man cannot work in harmony. Islam must either remake itself, remake us, or be held at arm's length. 

Ed: But I agree that Lumie's position is the morally correct position. Trouble is, unless such a position is mutual, appeasement and tolerance of aggression leads in one direction only. For the record I don't support the west's military involvement in MENA, tho' just ignoring the widespread oppression of people there is morally inconsistent. It's a no-win situation we should stay out of while investing heavily in alternative power sources.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Firstly,

Luminon wrote:
Firstly, please tell me where is that term "religion of peace" mentioned in reference to Islam. Is that from Koran? I really couldn't google it up, all pages only show up how it is NOT a religion of peace. Well, anyway, there is no more absolute peace than death, so that's what Islam is up to.

It is a mistranslation. Islam as a word goes, is more exactly said as Asalam, which means “To surrender”. On the other hand, Salaam is the correct word for Peace in Arabic.

As far as I can track it down, it seems to go to a speech that George W. Bush made at a mosque laees than a week after 9/11. At the time, what he actually said was “Islam is peace” and then it seemed to grow from there as other people started using the general term.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=