Climate Countdown,Maude Barlow chairperson of the "Council of Canadians" "The continuded Destruction of the Earth"

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Climate Countdown,Maude Barlow chairperson of the "Council of Canadians" "The continuded Destruction of the Earth"

One of my favorite person in Canada is Maude Barlow,the other being Naomi Klien autor of "Disaster Capitalism", spoke at Cancun climate talks and on "Democracy Now" check it out --  www.commondreams.org/video/2010/12/06

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Did you know

Kapkao wrote:

Did you know Blake, that the Earth has had a much reduced (or nonexistant) glaciation level than it has today, while still sustaining vertebrate life nearly as complex as today's?

If you have to ask, evidently you haven't read my posts in this thread carefully.  Or any of my posts on this forum for that matter.

Kapkao wrote:

The only cultures I could imagine being adversely affected by shifting ecozones, rising sea levels, and increasing sea levels would be the ones made up of ignorant vermin living off of subsistence agriculture. (and even then, only Bobspence and a handful of others here at RRS would care)

Everyone else has an abundance of tools to fight the problems that may happen in a warmer future.

Yeah... you read my posts *very* selectively,  didn't you?  You're mostly echoing what I've already said about the direct effects of global warming.

There happen to be hundreds of millions of those vermin, however, and when they're displaced into refugee camps, they have the potential to generate new diseases.  And, unfortunately, we happen to be the same species.  We are vulnerable to the diseases that will come out of the third world when the shit hits the fan here.

If you suggested employing thermonuclear bombs to eradicate those displaced people who may ultimately serve as breeding grounds for new deadly viral apocalypse... well, *then* it wouldn't affect us.  Good luck with that, though.  I have to say I'm more inclined to support measures of prevention than such solutions.

This kind of thing can also trigger more warfare in the third world, which has less effect on us as we're much more powerful and substantially less vulnerable to the suicide bombers which may also be yielded if the afflicted populations go all jihad, but is still of some concern.  At the same time, it's just as likely that it will shake up the power structures and allow the developed world to restructure those governments and solve long-standing problems... so, that could go either way.

Kapkao wrote:
(props to Blake for inadvertently explaining that for me)

What was inadvertent?

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:       

Ken G. wrote:

I'm afraid that no matter what kind of technology we use will be way to late,it's like we're on the train track and a Fraight Train is comming,that's why some scientist believe that space exploration is our only hope. (but,I could be wrong).   

I can tell you that you don't have to be afraid of that... it's technologically trivial to capture carbon by dozens of potential methods, just as much as it is technologically trivial to deploy mylar mirrors on satellites to reflect incoming solar radiation back into space (obviously the latter solution is stupid because it reduces the power the Earth receives, but it's an option).  We could burn every drop of hydrocarbons we can access on this planet, and we'd still be on a livable world given the right infrastructure.

If all Carbon and oxygen in the surface of our crust was combusted and released into the atmosphere, our planet probably would turn into Venus- but it's important to note that Venus is the second most livable planet in our solar system, and a prime candidate for colonization.  So, really, it'd be pretty hard, if not impossible, to make the Earth genuinely unlivable given the right infrastructure.

The problem is in migrating the large and under-developer populations onto that appropriate infrastructure fast enough to prevent mass poverty, disease, and potentially outbreak of war.  Disease actually being the most worrying thing in the list.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
RatDog wrote:Ken G.

RatDog wrote:

Ken G. wrote:

I'm afraid that no matter what kind of technology we use will be way to late,it's like we're on the train track and a Fraight Train is comming,that's why some scientist believe that space exploration is our only hope. (but,I could be wrong).   

Biological life has been recycling material, and going on for billions of years.  Perhaps life is the greatest technology.  I don't see why we should give up.  If life can do it maybe we can to. 

And plenty of examples of running out of resources and dying off.

We have been able to apply our technology, with the help of consuming fossill fuels, to go way past sustainability, and unless we pull back drastically and/ or get sustainable energy sources scaled up rapidly, we will, one way or another, be brought back to sustainable levels of consumption.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm speaking generally here

Blake wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Ed: No - I see the technical point of difference now. I'd have to agree that a latent bias is impossible to sieve from collection or interpretation of data. As soon as you set up a model some sort of bias becomes inherent. You need to be open to it.

This is why both the raw data, and the techniques for analysis are traditionally submitted for peer review by other statisticians-- and why triple blind trials are done (where even the statistician has no idea what the data is).

Is there any evidence that the raw data was not available for peer review?

Either way, it's irrelevant to the fact of climate change.  The human contribution to the cause is also irrelevant.  We can control our environment, and we need to do so if we do not wish to suffer the consequences.  Pretty simple.

Why is this such a big argument?

rather than discussing the climate issue specifically. You'd have to agree that the act of making a framework for research shapes the findings of that research - though I agree it has absolutely no impact whatever on the truth of the data gathered it has an impact on the sort of data gathered and the way the data might be deciphered. Peer review and triple blind sounds good to me.   

I'm sure in the case of climate change the data is widely available and everything I have read suggests it is compelling. Climate change and our responsibility to resolve it seems obvious to me, too. But there are still people who refuse to accept our impact on planetary systems. I have friends - well educated people - who simply think climate science is bunk or that researchers present it in such a way as to bolster their job prospects or something.

I can only assume people think this way because they see no big change in their lives. Something bigger will have to happen to convince everyone. People are just flat out stupid, obtuse, or both.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:RatDog

BobSpence1 wrote:

RatDog wrote:

Ken G. wrote:

Biological life has been recycling material, and going on for billions of years.  Perhaps life is the greatest technology.  I don't see why we should give up.  If life can do it maybe we can to. 

And plenty of examples of running out of resources and dying off.

We have been able to apply our technology, with the help of consuming fossill fuels, to go way past sustainability, and unless we pull back drastically and/ or get sustainable energy sources scaled up rapidly, we will, one way or another, be brought back to sustainable levels of consumption.

Yes, if we use more none sustainable resources eventually we will run out.  Whether we will die of when his happens depends in depends in large part on how well we can adapt.  Culture seems to play a large part in Humanities ability to adapt.  Right now I'm not sure if culture is flexible enough to withstand the massive changes that the world is undergoing.  Maybe some cultures are flexible enough and others are not.  I suppose some cultures will weather future changes better then others.  On a personal note I'm a bit worried that my own country(the united states of america) is becoming less flexible instead of more flexible.  

No matter how I look at things I think that it isn't impossible for the whole world to sustain a first world life style for any significant length of time.  In order for people to survive I think that people must change their expectations, and values.  I think that people need to change their culture.  That is easier said then done.  That is especially true because "we" are no really "we", but are instead a group of separate individuals.  People form groups in their minds and no one can force another person to change their minds.  Really it's all a big mess.  

I think that some people are unable or unwilling to adapt.  That is a problems that I can't find a solutions for.  The number of such people in any individual county will probably have a significant affect on that countries future prospects.  What will happens is any ones guess, but my personal guess is that there is a limited to how much richer countries can dominate poor countries.  As resources become more scare conflict will increase.  Eventually the veil between resources, value and market forces that we call money will become even more distorted.  If that happens then either some new power will have to come in and fix things(Perhaps some elected body from all countries involved?), or maybe the global economy will have to revert back into it's component parts.

In the sort term I think that first world countries should concentrate on diversifying their energy portfolios.  At least a subtantial portion of energy should come from renewable resouces like wind.  Such resources have the disadvantage of not being reliable(or not available in all areas), but current grids can still incorporate a small percentage of such source into their workings.  The United kingdoms has a goal of 15 percent of their power coming from renewable energy sources by 2020.  Also I don't think nuclear energy should be discounted.  It has it's disadvantages, but it still might be better then some alternatives.   In the end energy is probably going to increase in cost.  How "our" culture deals with this is anyones guess.  

In the middle term maybe more costly measures such as super grids and energy storage need to be incorporated into our energy infrastructure.   In the long term I have no clue.  Maybe we need breeder reactors, fusion, and/or reliance on renewable energy.   In the end it would be alot easier if people could just change their expectations, or at least we willing to compromise.  

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Rat Dog wrote: It's really all a big messs !

Well,I really hate to be a party pooper,but "That's All Folks" . I had hope for so long,but since lisnting to manny of the world's top scientist,and watching the business world in the paper's since around 1998 and mostly it's been business as usual.Here are some links that go back to 5-18-2007 with the release of "Heat:How To Stop the Planet from Burning"    ,  www.democracynow.org/2007/5/18/george_monbiot_if_we_dont_deal    and then there's Jim Hansen he was NASA top climate scientist    www.democracynow.org/2008/3/21/censoring_science also for my friend's from Australia,Australia's leading scientist Tim Flannery    say's "we are living in the "Danger Zone"   that was in 2007, and still WTF    www.democracynow.org/2007/11/23/we_are_in_the_danger    "The Weather Makers" I think that our specie's has a death wish.           Well,that last link was wrong ! but this is his new book   www.nybooks.com/contributers/tim-flannery-2/   -  O'well ,page not found,just google Tim Flannery, you'll find that he is worth listining to. Ps. I believe that we have hit the mark of climate-running away,well it just goes to show we're pretty F<>King dumb,the Neaderthal man was around for about 2 hundred thousand year's and us modern-man a mere 50,000 we have ruined our land-base "the jig is up." Yep Real Smart ???????

Signature ? How ?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Kapkao wrote:Did

Blake wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

Did you know Blake, that the Earth has had a much reduced (or nonexistant) glaciation level than it has today, while still sustaining vertebrate life nearly as complex as today's?

If you have to ask, evidently you haven't read my posts in this thread carefully.  Or any of my posts on this forum for that matter.

Kapkao wrote:

The only cultures I could imagine being adversely affected by shifting ecozones, rising sea levels, and increasing sea levels would be the ones made up of ignorant vermin living off of subsistence agriculture. (and even then, only Bobspence and a handful of others here at RRS would care)

Everyone else has an abundance of tools to fight the problems that may happen in a warmer future.

Yeah... you read my posts *very* selectively,  didn't you?  You're mostly echoing what I've already said about the direct effects of global warming.

There happen to be hundreds of millions of those vermin, however, and when they're displaced into refugee camps, they have the potential to generate new diseases.  And, unfortunately, we happen to be the same species.  We are vulnerable to the diseases that will come out of the third world when the shit hits the fan here.

I may very well have read you selectively. Your many essays you squeeze into your posts aren't all that easy on the eyes of the "TL:DR" crowd.

Tell me, with H1N1 and HIV so prevalent in Africa, what's the big threat from either of these diseases to the developed world via Africans? Nothing at all, actually.

Quote:
This kind of thing can also trigger more warfare in the third world, which has less effect on us as we're much more powerful and substantially less vulnerable to the suicide bombers which may also be yielded if the afflicted populations go all jihad, but is still of some concern.  At the same time, it's just as likely that it will shake up the power structures and allow the developed world to restructure those governments and solve long-standing problems... so, that could go either way.

Despite the lie currently peddled out to the rest of the world by the welfare states of Europe of humans becoming "feral" unless socialized, jihads and suicide bombers aren't created by economics or sociological circumstances, they're created by politics and personal indoctrination. You used a bad example.

The negative social consequences of GW are more likely to result in civil wars and genocides, something the developed world won't be troubled by anywhere in the foreseeable future. It would, however, result in a thinner herd, which is always a plus.

Quote:
Kapkao wrote:
(props to Blake for inadvertently explaining that for me)

What was inadvertent?

Your reply wasn't directed towards me. That's all.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Tell me, with

Kapkao wrote:
Tell me, with H1N1 and HIV so prevalent in Africa, what's the big threat from either of these diseases to the developed world via Africans? Nothing at all, actually.

H1N1 is not very dangerous, and HIV is not very contagious (and neither is it very dangerous anymore, now that we finally have treatments).

You're using bad examples.

Kapkao wrote:
Despite the lie currently peddled out to the rest of the world by the welfare states of Europe of humans becoming "feral" unless socialized, jihads and suicide bombers aren't created by economics or sociological circumstances, they're created by politics and personal indoctrination.

Those economic and sociological circumstances produce fertile ground for the politics and personal indoctrination.  You seem to be unable to see the forest through the trees here.

Kapkao wrote:
The negative social consequences of GW are more likely to result in civil wars and genocides, something the developed world won't be troubled by anywhere in the foreseeable future.

This is true, if the developed world stays out of the civil wars and avoids stirring up ideological hornets' nests.

Though, like I said, in practice suicide bombers aren't really very dangerous- it's mostly psychological.  The numbers they kill are small, and the chances of encountering one are trivial.  Most of them are too low-tech to be able to threaten the developed world, and being creationists, the chances of them being able to effectively wield biological weapons are slim.

If these wars isolate and kill enough people, the risk of naturally proliferated disease might also be reduced.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Kapkao

Blake wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

H1N1 is not very dangerous, and HIV is not very contagious (and neither is it very dangerous anymore, now that we finally have treatments).

Name some good examples.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Blake

Kapkao wrote:

Blake wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

Name some good examples.

Solanum.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you let H1N1 and HIV

If you let H1N1 and HIV proliferate in Africa, you increase the probability that a more virulent strain of either will emerge in the not-too-distant future.

Coupled with anything like the current level of air-travel, and we are all potentially at risk.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:If you let

BobSpence1 wrote:
If you let H1N1 and HIV proliferate in Africa, you increase the probability that a more virulent strain of either will emerge in the not-too-distant future.

Coupled with anything like the current level of air-travel, and we are all potentially at risk.

Purely speculative + the 3rd world has been a breeding ground for poverty and disease for at least a century, and half that time commercial air travel was available. Nothing except HIV came from it, and only because of bushmeat consumption plus the local prevalence of immunodeficiency viruses.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline

Blake wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

Blake wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

Name some good examples.

Solanum.

And what exactly is "Solanum", besides the plant?

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:BobSpence1

Kapkao wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Purely speculative + the 3rd world has been a breeding ground for poverty and disease for at least a century, and half that time commercial air travel was available. Nothing except HIV came from it, and only because of bushmeat consumption plus the local prevalence of immunodeficiency viruses.

Irrelevant comment.

We have had one extremely serious 'flu outbreak within the last century, in 1918, before wide-spread air travel.

We don't know for sure where it originated, but its spread was probably associated with the movement of troops during WW1.

Air travel today would vastly assist the spread of any new version.

As was apparent in the response to H1N1, even today we could not be confident we could contain it. We were just lucky that H1N1 wasn't 'the big one'.

"Breeding ground for poverty" - WTF is that supposed to mean?

If the 'developed' nations make it so apparent that we don't care about the state of other parts of the world, and display such open refusal to help them as you seem to be suggesting, the most likely result is more 9/11 style responses, even before any pandemic.

The cost of a decent effort to assist them would be a fraction of what is spent on arms and war.

We should be encouraging cooperation, not just blindly and wilfully carrying on an unsustainable "business-as-usual" policy.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Purely

Kapkao wrote:

First:

Solanum Virus

Second:  That more virulent strains will emerge is NOT purely speculative; it's a statistically inevitable outcome of evolution.  Only creationists have the leeway to deny this in their world views.

The third world has been nothing like what this would be for the last century.  For one, the population has only recently grown to the magnitude it is (and evolution is a function of population), and more crucially, the population density hasn't been high enough, nor have there been the other stresses that displacement causes.

A large and dense human population is required to provide the environment for a large and dense population of viruses.  Additionally useful will be the immunocompromised state of those who are displaced due to stress and even more severe malnutrition than they had prior.  We're talking about a viral petri dish of potentially tens or hundreds of millions of displaced people in extremely close proximity- something never before seen.

Expect new strains of flesh eating and blood borne transmissible cancers (like DFTD) which will be capable of living on surfaces for hours and infecting anybody who touches them with a small scrape (which would probably respond to chemo, but kill so quickly that it would be difficult to detect the infection soon enough); zoonotic HIV carried by malarial mosquitoes (a kind of symbiosis between HIV and the malarial protists); more virulent and lethal forms of air borne hepatitis which cause terminal liver cancer in the span of months; new forms of smallpox and the black death; and new air borne prion disease (which functions in tandem with any form of bronchitis, even the common cold) which cannot be destroyed by normal boiling and cooking or treated once contracted (prion diseases are always lethal, though they do take longer to kill via amyloidosis).

Of course, if you wear goggles, a mask, and gloves for the next decade, stay to yourself in a mosquito screen and don't *touch* anyone or exchange bodily fluids, drink only distilled water with added mineral salts, and eat foods canned before the outbreaks, you should be fine, provided those afflicted by the Solanum virus, or bioterrorism via genetically engineered fungi doesn't ruin your day.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote: Blake

Kapkao wrote:

Blake wrote:

Name some good examples.

OK, how about Hanta Virus.

You can get it anywhere that there are large rodent populations, although thus far it has not yet had a major outbreak. Still, if it gets imported into any large city, the rats are going to be a huge disease vector.

Speaking of rats, let's not forget the plague. Or Ebola. Or some disease that we have not yet discovered.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:those afflicted by the Solanum Virus,

The Solanum virus is a fictional virus that causes Zombeism .Anyway, as the chemicals change Life on Earth,we will have no say in the matter,human life will cease to exist. Will there be snow in June ? and if so will this not lead to Floods (espeacially costal cities) Droughts, Extreme Huricanes,melting Glaciers,Acidic Oceans  and to top things off this would be quickened by Pollution and the Human Race ever expanding carbon footprint,there will be Deadly Epidemics , Extreme overpopulation,and Nuclear Disasters,so excuse me if i seem a little jaded.Mass Extinctions events has wiped out manny species why not Humans,if anything,science has showed us that we are not as speacial as we may think. Humans have a propensity for self destruction - Omnicide   en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_extinction

Signature ? How ?

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Profit from Global Warming:

Profit from Global Warming: Invest in Greenland(finally living up to it's name).

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote: If the

BobSpence1 wrote:

If the 'developed' nations make it so apparent that we don't care about the state of other parts of the world, and display such open refusal to help them as you seem to be suggesting, the most likely result is more 9/11 style responses, even before any pandemic.

Cite some examples or it's just your opinion...

Blake wrote:

First:

Solanum Virus

Blake, now you're just being silly...

Quote:
Expect new strains of flesh eating and blood borne transmissible cancers (like DFTD) which will be capable of living on surfaces for hours and infecting anybody who touches them with a small scrape (which would probably respond to chemo, but kill so quickly that it would be difficult to detect the infection soon enough); zoonotic HIV carried by malarial mosquitoes (a kind of symbiosis between HIV and the malarial protists); more virulent and lethal forms of air borne hepatitis which cause terminal liver cancer in the span of months; new forms of smallpox and the black death; and new air borne prion disease (which functions in tandem with any form of bronchitis, even the common cold) which cannot be destroyed by normal boiling and cooking or treated once contracted (prion diseases are always lethal, though they do take longer to kill via amyloidosis).

Same goes for you as well as Bob... name your evidence and link to it if you can. DFTD... effects Tasmanian Devils, not humans, Blake.

Airborne prions? We are talking reality, right Blake? Not science fantasy?

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

OK, how about Hanta Virus.

You can get it anywhere that there are large rodent populations, although thus far it has not yet had a major outbreak. Still, if it gets imported into any large city, the rats are going to be a huge disease vector.

Speaking of rats, let's not forget the plague. Or Ebola. Or some disease that we have not yet discovered.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hanta/hps/noframes/faq.htm

Quote:

RESERVOIR

The deer mouse (Peromyscus maniculatus) is the primary reservoir of the hantavirus that causes hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) in the United States.

TRANSMISSION

Infected rodents shed the virus through urine, droppings, and saliva. HPS is transmitted to humans through a process called aerosolization. Aerosolization occurs when dried materials contaminated by rodent excreta or saliva are disturbed. Humans become infected by breathing in these infectious aerosols.

HPS in the United States cannot be transmitted from one person to another.

HPS in the United States is not known to be transmitted by farm animals, dogs, or cats or from rodents purchased from a pet store.

RISK

Anything that puts you in contact with fresh rodent urine, droppings, saliva or nesting materials can place you at risk for infection.

VIRUS

Hantaviruses have been shown to be viable in the environment for 2 to 3 days at normal room temperature. The ultraviolet rays in sunlight kill hantaviruses.

PREVENTION

Rodent control in and around the home remains the primary strategy for preventing hantavirus infection.

CLEANING

Use a bleach solution or household disinfectant to effectively deactivate hantaviruses when cleaning rodent infestations.

Plague:

Quote:
However, controlling rodents and their fleas around places where people live, work, and play is very important in preventing human disease. Therefore, preventive measures are directed to home, work, and recreational settings where the risk of acquiring plague is high. A combined approach using the following methods is recommended:

1. environmental sanitation
  2. educating the public on ways to prevent plague exposures
  3. preventive antibiotic therapy

The last one's particularly important, as it distinctly implies that plague bacteria are still quite vulnerable to antibiotics.

Ebola virus:

Quote:
Ebola is transmitted through bodily fluids

Well, that solves that. I'll remember this the next time I run into some wild primates around a faucet or a hose outlet.

If it isn't already obvious, the CDC website is going to be a bitch against any real world findings of deadly disease.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
 OK, let me put some

OK, let me put some perspective on this.

What will be on this planet in ten million years?

Well, nobody can say with certainty but it is sure that it will not be human. If everything works out well for us, we will continue to evolve. That is something that we probably can't change no matter what (and I would question those who argue that we should if the tools become available).

Heck but it might even fit our current definition of intelligent. Or not.

Intelligence is something that serves us well under the current conditions. However, I really don't see that it is a required thing. Perhaps in the distant future, we will be as smart as any other animal currently around. Perhaps some species that is currently around will become smart and will dominate the planet. If they are any good, they will find the evidence that we were around and they will try to do a bit better than we managed to do.

Alternatively, we could wipe ourselves out. I suppose that on some level that would really suck. Yet it might just be the way that we have to go. Really, we don't get to choose how we check out as a species but it is certain that we will check out one day.

Right now, we are watching an asteroid that is a potential dinosaur killer. A few years from now, it will pass between the earth and the moon. When it does, if it goes through a certain window (google for “keyhole resonance&rdquoEye-wink, then we will all die some time about twenty years from now.

Shit all that we can do about that. It is too damn big to even think about nuking. If it hits the earth, it is just going to fuck out shit up. All the talk about mediating our carbon will simply not matter. We know what happened last time this happened. There were a couple of million years where nothing but ferns were viable plants. Can we support a population of several billion people with nothing but ferns for food?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
 Now, the above having been

Now, the above having been said, what is the real short term perspective?

We have a global system that simply cannot be sustained. We cannot feed everyone forever. At some point, we are going to run out of some resource that we need to do that.

Here, let me go with “peak oil” theory as an example. Under that specific logic, we are already past the point where we can just keep expecting more stuff to come to us. The peak happened a few years ago and the reason why we don't yet see it is because the curve is pretty flat at the top. Yet in not too many years, oil is going to be so expensive that every act of driving a car is going to be planned in advance. There will be no more going a couple of dozen miles to see your favorite sports team live in the stadium. At some point, the general advice of saving up trips across town to minimize your gas usage will be past the point of general advice and fully in the realm of “you can't afford to not do it”.

Under that scenario, we don't have to worry about global warming at all. We will run out of oil in a couple of decades no matter what. End of story for global warming. Either that or we will find new ways to keep our global economy going as “business as usual” and then we have to worry about the question. At which point, the “doom and gloom” scenarios are stuff that we have to think about.

So a good question at this point is whether this is something we need to think about now.

OK, Kyoto turned out to be a dud and Copenhagen did not do any better. No action came from either. Still, they got us thinking about stuff and forewarned is forearmed. If neither had happened, would we be thinking about where we need to be a hundred years from now?   

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
 So shall we do those

So shall we do those things that will prevent global warming?

Wind power where wind works? Solar where solar works? Geothermal where that works?

Such are not things that we are going to run out of.

Will they support a total world population of several billion people? Probably not but I fail to see why we need to do that. If we run out of oil, then that is what we are going to have to do one way or another. If we don't run out of oil, then we have to deal with the other problem known as global warming. Either way, we are going to do those things that are going to get us managing the planet in a responsible manner.

Edit: Right now, the global economy is as rich as Croseus. We can do what we need to do now for far less that we will need to spend if we wait until we have no choice.

Also, we need to think about nuclear power here. At current economic level, we have enough uranium and thorium to last several thousand years. At the economic level that we will probably be at in a century or so, that much longer.

I suppose that in a million years from now, we may have to mine out the solar system to keep nuclear power going. However, that much speculation is just so far out that it is not even worth guessing on.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Now, the above having been said, what is the real short term perspective?

We have a global system that simply cannot be sustained. We cannot feed everyone forever. At some point, we are going to run out of some resource that we need to do that.

If you think modern civilization is selective in people living a privileged, modernized life, wait until current harvest levels begin to spread thin amongst the masses of population. The developing world goes from being a minor issue to a complete non-issue.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Blake, now

Kapkao wrote:

Blake, now you're just being silly...

Me?  Silly?  Never...

There are two kinds of people in the world:  Those who are prepared for the zombie apocalypse, and zombie fodder.  It's obvious which one you are.

Quote:
Same goes for you as well as Bob... name your evidence and link to it if you can. DFTD... effects Tasmanian Devils, not humans, Blake.

I did not say that DFTD would affect humans.  Please read more carefully.  "HSTD" or something of that nature would affect humans.  It's probably not something you have to worry about too much, since you would have easy access to surgery and chemo therapy (as long as you caught it quickly).  It would depend on your genetics, though, and the particular strain you caught.  Cancer vaccinations may soon eliminate a threat like this, but we're not quite there yet.

What concerns me most of all is that you don't seem to understand the underlying concept of evolution- wherein a pathogen is *possible* and it has a suitable environment to be evolved in, its eventual existence is essentially assured.  When I point to historical pathogens, or pathogens in other species which are highly contagious and lethal, that IS proof that the same kinds of pathogens are possible in humans, or could re-emerge/re-evolve.

There are possible pathogens that could cause serious trouble- I listed several of them, this is not contested by any educated individual.  Right now, there is not adequate environment to see the probability of them evolving at any very threatening rate- we need to keep it that way.  If these things crop up more quickly than we can deal with them, we will be in trouble.

Quote:
Airborne prions? We are talking reality, right Blake? Not science fantasy?

Yes, we are talking reality.  Prions can be spread through bodily fluid and saliva; they're smaller than viruses, so being air-borne inside droplets of saliva is just a given; it is only a matter contingent on the right protein being affected in sufficient quantities (e.g. a prion that affects the mucus membranes strongly, and spreads from there to kill; probably by liver or kidney failure).  I *did* say that it would take a long time to kill somebody.  The matter is the time it would take something like that to build up.  We're talking upwards of a decade... so, that might be a lesser threat with the exception of those who are predisposed to it (in which case it could go faster). 

We *might* even develop enzymes in that time to break down the proteins and remove them from the body (an effective cure), but short of that, we would be talking about the most contagious and asymptomatic pathogen (unless it caused swelling in the mucus membranes, which might give it away)- and most guaranteed lethal- ever known.  Once something like that began to spread, the CDC probably wouldn't even realize it until millions of people began dropping dead a decade later (too late to develop an enzymatic cure). 

We aught to be putting more funding into developing enzymatic treatments for amyloidosis so we'll actually be ready when something like this happens.  We need to have the framework prepared to deal with any possible pathogen, so when it does evolve (not "if&quotEye-wink we are ready for it and can stop its spread.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:I did not say

Blake wrote:
I did not say that DFTD would affect humans.  Please read more carefully.  "HSTD" or something of that nature would affect humans.  It's probably not something you have to worry about too much, since you would have easy access to surgery and chemo therapy (as long as you caught it quickly).  It would depend on your genetics, though, and the particular strain you caught.  Cancer vaccinations may soon eliminate a threat like this, but we're not quite there yet.

I don't have to worry about it, because it doesn't exist.

Quote:
What concerns me most of all is that you don't seem to understand the underlying concept of evolution- wherein a pathogen is *possible* and it has a suitable environment to be evolved in, its eventual existence is essentially assured.  When I point to historical pathogens, or pathogens in other species which are highly contagious and lethal, that IS proof that the same kinds of pathogens are possible in humans, or could re-emerge/re-evolve.

And the sun could unexpectedly go nova by tomorrow, and there would be nothing I could do about it... :rolleyes:

Quote:
There are possible pathogens that could cause serious trouble- I listed several of them, this is not contested by any educated individual.  Right now, there is not adequate environment to see the probability of them evolving at any very threatening rate- we need to keep it that way.  If these things crop up more quickly than we can deal with them, we will be in trouble.

You seem unwilling to cough up the goods. Or is it... that you are unable???

EVIDENCE, Blake, not more futile and hollow assertions. Facts, not theories.

Quote:
Yes, we are talking reality.  Prions can be spread through bodily fluid and saliva; they're smaller than viruses, so being air-borne inside droplets of saliva is just a given; it is only a matter contingent on the right protein being affected in sufficient quantities (e.g. a prion that affects the mucus membranes strongly, and spreads from there to kill; probably by liver or kidney failure).  I *did* say that it would take a long time to kill somebody.  The matter is the time it would take something like that to build up.  We're talking upwards of a decade... so, that might be a lesser threat with the exception of those who are predisposed to it (in which case it could go faster).

Fail, epic fail.

Prions only cause transmissible encephalopathy, not organ failure. (Unless you count 'brain failure') Prions arise from the body's failure to bend certain proteins, meaning the individual in question ingested something it's body wasn't made to handle, many the primary infectious route is through ingestion. Any "educated individual" who deals heavily with pathology as part of their occupation should know this.

Quote:
We aught to be putting more funding into developing enzymatic treatments for amyloidosis so we'll actually be ready when something like this happens.  We need to have the framework prepared to deal with any possible pathogen, so when it does evolve (not "if&quotEye-wink we are ready for it and can stop its spread.

Amyloid proteins aren't prions, and their spread is usually ancestral.

You once told me I looked "out of my element". I may truly have, but right I'm going to have to return that remark and guess pathology isn't anywhere near your area of expertise.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Well, nobody can say with certainty but it is sure that it will not be human. If everything works out well for us, we will continue to evolve. That is something that we probably can't change no matter what (and I would question those who argue that we should if the tools become available).

Sidenote- why would anyone except an Abrahamic theist *want* to stay in human form, if they had a choice?

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Airborne particles that

Airborne particles that settle on food, hands, or face have a strong probability of being ingested.

Prions are a form of amyloid protein, and misfolding is the main source of amyloid pathenogenesis, so the association is not so obviously a 'fail' as you think.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:I don't have to

Kapkao wrote:

I don't have to worry about it, because it doesn't exist.

Not yet, but that isn't cause not to worry about it.  I don't seem to have cancer at the moment, but I could acquire it, and it doesn't make much sense to increase my risk of doing so.

Kapkao wrote:

And the sun could unexpectedly go nova by tomorrow, and there would be nothing I could do about it... :rolleyes:

Sometimes I wonder if you understand logic very selectively; you throw out plenty of red herrings and straw men arguments.  We don't have any control over what the sun will do tomorrow, but we can raise or lower the odds that a dangerous pathogen will evolve by providing it a larger or smaller environment to do so in.

Not even close to a valid argument.

If global warming would exponentially increase the chance of the sun going nova in the way it increases the changes of dangerous pathogens evolving, it would seem prudent to consider that.

Kapkao wrote:

You seem unwilling to cough up the goods. Or is it... that you are unable???

EVIDENCE, Blake, not more futile and hollow assertions. Facts, not theories.

I have already.  That you are unwilling to accept damning evidence for what it is seems to be a problem on your end.  You are very selective when it comes to comprehension and reasoning.

You have not refuted any of my arguments, but rather have presented a straw man and requested proof that the diseases I am saying may emerge have already done so and are already wreaking havoc on the world population (something I have not claimed).

Kapkao wrote:
Prions only cause transmissible encephalopathy, not organ failure. (Unless you count 'brain failure')

You're only talking about one kind of prion disease.  Prions don't have to affect only the brain, and could cause organ failure of any major organ by building up in the system as insoluble amyloids, or by otherwise disrupting normal function.

Kapkao wrote:
Prions arise from the body's failure to bend certain proteins, meaning the individual in question ingested something it's body wasn't made to handle, many the primary infectious route is through ingestion.

WTF?^2

1. Prions are aberrant forms of proteins which themselves catalyze the conversion of normal bodily proteins into more of the same aberrant form (by building a chain from them and then breaking).  It has nothing to do with a failure of the body to bend proteins correctly; the prions are stepping in to f*ck things up to convert correctly folded proteins into more prions.  It does have to do with the body's failure to garbage collect, however, but this is an understandable failure given the statistical unlikelihood of a prion spontaneously forming or being ingested in a natural evolutionary context.

2. The primary infectious route is through ingestion- yes.  What the blazes do you think air borne transmission is?  Transdermal?  Intra-f*cking-venous?  No.  Air borne substances, when successfully transmitted, are trapped in mucus and effectively ingested- with the possible exception of habitual spitters, perhaps (China might be immune).  The limitation of Air borne transmission is not on the part of the receiver *unless* the substance needs to enter directly into the blood to be received- the limitation is on the carrier and the nature of the pathogen.  Air borne pathogens must be small enough to be suspended in the air on dust particles or microscopic droplets of bodily fluids (prion win), stable enough to survive the journey (another prion win), and present in saliva or mucus such that they may be expelled upon coughing or sneezing (yet again, another win for prions).

Kapkao wrote:
Amyloid proteins aren't prions, and their spread is usually ancestral.

Not all Amyloids are prions, I never said that, but all known prions are Amyloids.  Genetic propensity is one way of spreading Amyloid diseases, and prions are another.

Kapkao wrote:
You once told me I looked "out of my element".

I'll say it again, then.  You look out of your element.  Biology isn't my main interest, but you're making some bizarre arguments here.  If you do have expertise in this area, you're doing a poor job of being objective and considering what I'm saying.  Even if your description of Prions was a bit weak, I'm particularly baffled by your Amyloid comment.

wikipedia wrote:

All known prions induce the formation of an amyloid fold, in which the protein polymerises into an aggregate consisting of tightly packed beta sheets. Amyloid aggregates are fibrils, growing at their ends, and replicating when breakage causes two growing ends to become four growing ends. The incubation period of prion diseases is determined by the exponential growth rate associated with prion replication, which is a balance between the linear growth and the breakage of aggregates.

I haven't been able to find anything suggesting that an air-borne prion disease that kills by way of amyloidosis of vital organs is impossible or even highly improbable.  Any one of those suggestions I made might be off for some reason I haven't yet encountered, but without any such reason it wouldn't happen, it is something to be expected and prepared for given sufficient breeding ground for pathogens.  What may work to prevent its evolution and propagation, arguably, is people in these refugee regions ultimately wearing face masks due to other more immediate disease concerns (as we saw in Mexico during the H1N1 scare).

If you have any legitimate arguments, though, or any credible references to back up your claims that such a pathogen wouldn't work, I'd be glad to read them.

EVIDENCE, Kapkao, not more futile and hollow assertions. Facts, not theories.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Airborne

BobSpence1 wrote:

Airborne particles that settle on food, hands, or face have a strong probability of being ingested.

Prions are a form of amyloid protein, and misfolding is the main source of amyloid pathenogenesis, so the association is not so obviously a 'fail' as you think.

Ah, you must have posted that while I was typing.  Thanks Bob- settling on food is another good point.

I find the possibility of an air borne (and naturally incurable) amyloidosis inducing prion a sobering portent of the greatest danger to the developed world, and our own lives, from not only the displacement that will likely result from global warming, but also growing population densities in general.  The overwhelming probability that it would have a very slow incubation period (and consequently rate of proliferation), at least, offers some relief, but who knows how quickly an 'ideal' prion candidate might actually be able to grow if based on a more prevalent protein.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
ok, allow me to specify:

ok, allow me to specify: cited evidence, blake, not more useless assertions.

Quote:
or any credible references to back up your claims that such a pathogen wouldn't work

And now you're intentionally miswording what I've said. What exactly was I claiming again?

Quote:
You're only talking about one kind of prion disease.

Name one that doesn't effect the brain, then. Oh, right... you can't.

edit;Name one that isn't encephalopathy.

Quote:
Not all Amyloids are prions, I never said that, but all known prions are Amyloids.  Genetic propensity is one way of spreading Amyloid diseases, and prions are another.

I'll admit I was wrong on that count.

Quote:
Not yet, but that isn't cause not to worry about it.  I don't seem to have cancer at the moment, but I could acquire it, and it doesn't make much sense to increase my risk of doing so.

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if you understand logic very selectively; you throw out plenty of red herrings and straw men arguments.  We don't have any control over what the sun will do tomorrow, but we can raise or lower the odds that a dangerous pathogen will evolve by providing it a larger or smaller environment to do so in.

Not even close to a valid argument.

I wasn't trying to make a valid argument, aside from pure sarcasm, as well as a (vague) statement that I'm not interested in possibilities, only what we know for certain.

Quote:
Air borne pathogens must be small enough to be suspended in the air on dust particles or microscopic droplets of bodily fluids (prion win), stable enough to survive the journey (another prion win), and present in saliva or mucus such that they may be expelled upon coughing or sneezing (yet again, another win for prions).

And when, if ever, has this actually happened? (Again, cites please!)

Quote:
I haven't been able to find anything suggesting that an air-borne prion disease that kills by way of amyloidosis of vital organs is impossible or even highly improbable.

You haven't found any examples or cited any evidence in favor of it, either.

Quote:
Facts, not theories.

You've yet to state any in favor of your argument of "global warming epidemics". You've yet to name any real-world examples of anything you've continually asserted here, in this thread.

I'm still safe here, in the western world.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
After having some time to think about this:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I didn't realize it at first, but your argument in the first sentence is identical to the one Magus made in an old thread; 'help poor lil me out or I'll attack you viciously', or words to that effect. If someone's going to attack you, isn't the best way to deal with it is to simply put bullet in their heads?

Quote:
The cost of a decent effort to assist them would be a fraction of what is spent on arms and war.

The cost of a "all for me and none for thee" doctrine is practically nothing, but it is advisable in a world where resources are limited, population is ever increasing, and GW threatens to exacerbate the former two problems.

Quote:
[...]not just blindly and wilfully carrying on an unsustainable "business-as-usual" policy

Business as usual would, indeed, be helping those who continue to accelerate human civilization to a premature end, and it is certainly unsustainable.

As for your point about Spanish Influenza of 1918, you are right; it was very deadly, and it was very quick as well. Cytokine storms tend to be deadly, although there are many medicines to treat those problems. Aside from sauna-like summers in the American southeast, GW still isn't my problem.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao, we know very little

Kapkao,

we know very little 'for certain', and very little or nothing about the emergence of the next major pandemic, as history has shown.

So your approach is already doomed to ignorance and disaster.

Many of these possibilities take time to reach detectable stage, at which time it may well be too late to avoid major impact.

Many also would have intrinsically global effects, like GW. You wanna foot the bill for relocating NYC??

Even if we put up sun shields, the oceans are f**ked by the extra CO2.

The US has shown itself barely able to handle the wars in two undeveloped countries, from a military aspect, and a total fail in every other way.  WTF if you piss off a whole bunch of them at once, including ones with more resources, some with nukes and rockets, who are quite prepared to make them suicide missions? How many versions of 9/11 can you handle??

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Kapkao,we

BobSpence1 wrote:

Kapkao,

we know very little 'for certain', and very little or nothing about the emergence of the next major pandemic, as history has shown.

So your approach is already doomed to ignorance and disaster.

Many of these possibilities take time to reach detectable stage, at which time it may well be too late to avoid major impact.

And there's also the possibility of Sol blowing up tomorrow. Like I (tried) to convey to Blake, you can't scare me with boogeymen waiting in closets. I can safely say your 'alarmist' approach is doomed to "sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Question, can the same thing be said of separating 'likely' from 'unlikely'?

Quote:
Many also would have intrinsically global effects, like GW. You wanna foot the bill for relocating NYC??

If I lived there, maybe. I sense frustration.

Quote:
Even if we put up sun shields, the oceans are f**ked by the extra CO2.

Elaborate please, about oceans and CO2.

(Effective) Orbital sun shields are going cost more than all past American wars combined, and adjusted for inflation. I shit you not.

Quote:
WTF if you piss off a whole bunch of them at once, including ones with more resources, some with nukes and rockets, who are quite prepared to make them suicide missions?

Nope, even a really bad parent should know enough not to reward a child for not misbehaving. Bobspence, you aren't going to change my mind about this in the least, so you best save yourself the effort as frustrated as you come across.

Quote:
How many versions of 9/11 can you handle??

Quite a few. You haven't been reading news about America over the past 7 years? I mean the intelligence  bureaus must intentionally leak out every other terrorism arrest they make to reassure the general population of their's necessity, because so much of it reaches the news.

Domestic terrorism is hard to track, I admit, but I haven't heard a lot about it after Oklahoma City. Nor is it relevant at all.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:ok, allow me to

Kapkao wrote:

ok, allow me to specify: cited evidence, blake, not more useless assertions.

I would ask the same of you.  I've provided far more evidence- what, you want me to find citations to prove already well known diseases like DFTD?  You want me to find citation to back common knowledge that human cancers can also be transmissible?

How about you give me some citations to prove that there's a sun?  This *hypothetical* useless assertion you keep making.

Give me a f*cking break.  You're almost as bad as a creationist asking for infinitely more evidence of the fossil record when the case is already solid.

Quote:
And now you're intentionally miswording what I've said. What exactly was I claiming again?

You're claiming that it's not your problem because it's as on the order of as likely as the sun going nova tomorrow- you're claiming that it's astronomically improbable for any of those pathogens to emerge.  Show me anything that makes them unlikely.

Quote:

Name one that doesn't effect the brain, then. Oh, right... you can't.

edit;Name one that isn't encephalopathy.

There are a number of amyloid diseases that could be caused by prion transmission rather than a genesis through misfolding of proteins in the host body.  Much like life on Earth could have easily arisen on another planet and traveled here on some stray asteroid- but a bit more well established in possibility via other proven transmissible prion diseases.

And, of course, that whether life originated on Earth or arrived here from another body is irrelevant, but that prions can spread amyloid diseases between people is very much NOT irrelevant.

All evidence points to the possibility, and the only things you've presented are a misunderstanding of what prions are, and a profound misunderstanding of astrophysics, as counter-arguments.

Look at what I'm saying:

Prions can be spread between people.

Prions are small stable particles that exist in bodily fluids such as saliva and mucus.

Pathogens existing in saliva and mucus that are small and air stable can be spread via air borne particulates.

Prions are a form of amyloid protein.

Amyloid proteins can cause incurable and lethal amyloid diseases in any part of the body by building up to the point of affecting normal function (the brain is most vulnerable, but all vital organs are susceptible).

Any sufficiently complex protein potentially has a prion counterpart, and so known prions do not represent the full range of prions.

Prions will arise and evolve in accordance with the statistical chances of misfolding and the laws of natural selection.

A larger pool of protein folds corresponds to a higher chance of the genesis of any kind of prion.

A more dense population corresponds to a higher chance of the proliferation and evolution communicable prions.

Increasing population density is a risk factor in the evolution of lethal and highly communicable prion diseases.

Quote:
I wasn't trying to make a valid argument, aside from pure sarcasm, as well as a (vague) statement that I'm not interested in possibilities, only what we know for certain.

You know nothing empirical for certain.  You might as blindfold yourself and run around in the street, since it's only *possible* that you'll be hit by a car.  If you supposedly don't care for mitigating increased risk factors, you have no justification for any risk averse behavior that you display.

Quote:
And when, if ever, has this actually happened? (Again, cites please!)

The common cold is a good example of an air borne pathogen.  I'm not going to f*cking cite that.  The way you're going, you evidently wouldn't accept a medical journal demonstrating an extended study on the air borne communicability of anything.  After all, you don't accept anything that's not certain, do you?  And no empirical study is certain.

Quote:
You haven't found any examples or cited any evidence in favor of it, either.

Yes, I have.  You just don't like evidence unless it is certain beyond possibility and has been handed down by some omniscient force, apparently.

If you want to make an argument against it, you'll have to show something - anything - that suggests it is unlikely.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:If you want to make an

Quote:

If you want to make an argument against it

I don't. I'm not interested in possibilities. There's a possibility God exists. Why should I care about that?

(and unfortunately for me, most of my post got destroyed by accidentally clicking one of the links near the post button)

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote: there's a possibility that "God"exist

According to the current Scientific possibility's "God" is not needed to start a Universe. So I guess that he or she is not possible.And a "God" is supposed to be Omniscence,and A.Einstein proved that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light,and Omniscence means that "God" knows everthing that happens in the Universe which is not possible,you would have to send information faster than light.   

Signature ? How ?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote: According to

Ken G. wrote:

According to the current Scientific possibility's "God" is not needed to start a Universe. So I guess that he or she is not possible.And a "God" is supposed to be Omniscence,and A.Einstein proved that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light,and Omniscence means that "God" knows everthing that happens in the Universe which is not possible,you would have to send information faster than light.   

Quit posting under a haze, you!

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote: Quite posting under a haze,you!

Under a haze is currently the only way that keep's me going,I'm still in pain !

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:There's a

Kapkao wrote:
There's a possibility God exists.

Pfft.  No there isn't.

Ken G. said enough to demonstrate otherwise, but I have and could demolish that proposition with a dozen more arguments.

If you're just going to be indifferent and agnostic to everything, there's no point in discussing it.  You are a minority of those who are apathetic, you'll just have to give up and accept that the world is moving forward on this because other people don't not care- or go pout in the corner.  You have no useful argument against it, and you aren't going to stop many others (probably any others) from caring by being indifferent yourself.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote: Kapkao

Blake wrote:

Kapkao wrote:
There's a possibility God exists.

Pfft.  No there isn't.

"Fear the gnostic atheist" is lost on Blake. Nothing new to see here.

I'm indifferent to GW because it isn't causing me problems. It isn't, and likely won't within my lifetime. A sudden nova of the Sun isn't one of my problems, either. 'God' is an inefficient concept, and becoming obsolete.

Quote:
Ken G. said enough to demonstrate otherwise, but I have and could demolish that proposition with a dozen more arguments.

In the confines of your often linear and pedantic thoughts, yes, I've no doubt you could. Social dynamics do not function in such a linear, absolute manner as you often insist it does, though. You have no knowledge regarding the divine any more so than Pat Robertson. You can't know anything about a person's invisible friends except merely that they are invisible. You can reason that they probably aren't real.

The problem of 'certainty' cuts both ways. At that, Bob Spence had the foresight to realize this in most of my meager attempts to provoke him in the past, and his response was along the lines of the possibility of God/Gods being 'too unimportant and minuscule to bother with'. And he is correct about that; the chance of an Omnipotent being approaches the infinitesimal, and becomes smaller the more we explore the natural sciences.

Quote:
If you're just going to be indifferent and agnostic to everything, there's no point in discussing it.

Well, it took you long enough. Agnostic about everything? Not really.

GW is a threat, high density population centers do tend to be major disease vectors. It's just that neither is problematic for me.

Quote:
You are a minority of those who are apathetic

More petty insults and ad homs...

Quote:
You have no useful argument against it,

Nor did I actually attempt to provide any.

Quote:
and you aren't going to stop many others (probably any others) from caring by being indifferent yourself.

Am I actually attempting to? No.

What I did do was ask for you to name some form of written or typed material to back up some of these possibilities you've been asserting for this entire. No, not airborne pathogens like the common cold, airborne proteins causing organ failure. Surely there should be some relevant media investigating such outcomes, correct?

Instead, you resort to a vicious barrage of insults and ad hominem attacks, and (repeatedly) misword quite a bit of what I have said.  It's almost as if you believe you are above citing your claims.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:   Under a

Ken G. wrote:

Under a haze is currently the only way that keep's me going,I'm still in pain !

Oh, I forgot about that.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:I'm indifferent

Kapkao wrote:

I'm indifferent to GW because it isn't causing me problems. It isn't, and likely won't within my lifetime.

Of course it won't, because assertive policies will prevent it from happening at a rate sufficient to cause problems.  I'm glad you can finally appreciate the measures being enacted to halt global warming.

Quote:
You have no knowledge regarding the divine any more so than Pat Robertson.

I have knowledge of logic; Pat Robertson either doesn't, or disregards it.  As such, given the nature of the divine being logically false, I do certainly have more knowledge of it than he does.

Quote:
You can't know anything about a person's invisible friends except merely that they are invisible. You can reason that they probably aren't real.

Put that generally, maybe not, but the very notion of a deity (rather than any random invisible friend) is usually more explicitly lain out for us.  We can know quite a bit about the claims being made of people's imaginary friends when they claim those friends are omni-something with a certain set of qualities they possess by definition.

Quote:
The problem of 'certainty' cuts both ways.

No, it doesn't.  One side is too dull to cut hot butter.  Bob can be more cautious than he needs to be sometimes.

Quote:
the chance of an Omnipotent being approaches the infinitesimal, and becomes smaller the more we explore the natural sciences.

The chances of such a being were zero from the moment of its inception due to its inherent impossibility.  That people were and have been since largely ignorant of the fact that it was impossible (as you seem to be) doesn't change objective reality.  The apparent chance, as far as one can determine, varies greatly from person to person, depending on how informed or ignorant that person is, diminishing to zero as the person obtains a grasp of basic logic.

Quote:
Well, it took you long enough. Agnostic about everything? Not really.

GW is a threat, high density population centers do tend to be major disease vectors. It's just that neither is problematic for me.

If you're agnostic about this "god" thing then you don't know any of that either- what if this magical "god" creature of yours fabricated all of that, GW isn't a threat, and high density populations actually cause the water to change into homeopathic cures for disease?  You don't know- unless you're taking that on faith?

Quote:
More petty insults and ad homs...

Playing a sad, sad song for you.

Quote:

Am I actually attempting to? No.

What's with all of the posts arguing against the merit/usefulness of the social policies because it's only going to kill a bunch of vermin?

You're very vocal for somebody who isn't interested in persuading anybody else.  Perhaps you're just arguing for the "lolz" though, in which case I was mistaken.  If you're not trying to talk anybody out of it, then there's not really much of an argument here.

Quote:
Surely there should be some relevant media investigating such outcomes, correct?

There are some fears in the UK about it, but I have never claimed that such a thing exists yet.  I'm not going to spend much time to try to cite sources for something I don't even believe exists currently, and that I have not claimed already exists.

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 I thought that this was

I thought that this was interesting and relevant to the topic of climate change.  

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:You're very

Blake wrote:

You're very vocal for somebody who isn't interested in persuading anybody else.

I'm thinking maybe you should look in the mirror with regards to being "vocal", however you're correct about the latter. I don't post on the internet to change minds, because I know I can't; certainly no more than anyone else could. I'm not going to convince the resident marxists to rethink their politics, nor can I even hope to sway a number of minds here that "militant atheism" isn't necessarily the best option for activism. I'm certainly not going to convince Bobspence that altruism is a wild fantasy.

I can, however, coax (trick, rather) others into trying to convince me of their PoV. I can also vent on occasion.

Quote:
If you're agnostic about this "god" thing then you don't know any of that either- what if this magical "god" creature of yours fabricated all of that, GW isn't a threat, and high density populations actually cause the water to change into homeopathic cures for disease?

There you go again, thinking in absolutes... I'm an agnostic atheist, as are most of the mods here. I also eat meat, but also oppose using bunnies for testing eyeliner.

The world doesn't operate in black and white.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
RatDog wrote: I thought that this was interesting ......

Yep ! very interesting ........... we're f<>ked .

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:There you go

Kapkao wrote:

There you go again, thinking in absolutes... I'm an agnostic atheist, as are most of the mods here.

You don't have the excuse they do.

Ken G. wrote:

Yep ! very interesting ........... we're f<>ked .

I can pretty much guarantee you that humanity will survive almost anything that happens.  We're the most versatile and resourceful species to have ever livid on this planet (that we can tell).  Lesser species have survived worse.

That's not to say that most of the population won't be dramatically thinned.

The only significant threat to people in developed nations is disease- so, if you're really worried you can get a log cabin in the middle of nowhere, and survive on subsistence agriculture and canned/dried foods until it blows over.  This would require roughly a 20k investment (well within the means of most people). 

Once it does blow over, a good 10% of the population should still be around, and (crucially) all of the infrastructure.  We'd bounce back in less than a generation.

That's not to say it's not unfortunate that most people may die.  I just don't think it qualifies as completely f*cked.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline

Blake wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

There you go again, thinking in absolutes... I'm an agnostic atheist, as are most of the mods here.

You don't have the excuse they do.

I know. It's terrible...

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Once it does

Blake wrote:
Once it does blow over, a good 10% of the population should still be around, and (crucially) all of the infrastructure. We'd bounce back in less than a generation.

That's not to say it's not unfortunate that most people may die. I just don't think it qualifies as completely f*cked.

Blake, have you ever watched the show “Life Without People”? Basically, a hundred years after whatever the crisis will eventually turn out to be (the series carefully never says why humans become extinct), the infrastructure is going to be fucked.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
 Kapkao, it that the best

Kapkao, it that the best that you can do? Basically saying that if something is not 100% proved, it can be ignored?

If something is 99% proved, then I suppose that you can retreat into the idea of “it might not happen”. However, you would have far worse odds than becoming a millionaire by going to a casino.

In all honesty, the case for global warming is not really even at the point of 99%. However, as we have gained new evidence and insights, the case has become stronger. I hesitate to grant a percentage probability on GW but I think that it is at least worth thinking about on a serious level.

In all honesty, there are still a decent number of scientists who are skeptical on the matter of global warming. The fact is that the existence of skeptics means that the science is still healthy. Science without skeptics is not science, it is theology.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
 That much being said, I am

That much being said, I am not a huge advocate of GW on a personal level.

There are a number of ways that we can fuck up the planet. Let's just let people continue to fuck like bunnies. Overpopulation will lead to overuse of natural resources. Pollution will become a huge problem. If, against the existing evidence, pollution fails to produce GW, then it will still be pollution. We are fucked either way.

Here is a big nit: all the people who are driving hybrid cars so that they can smugly assert that they are helping to make things better. Well, the fact is that the batteries that they are using are forcing us to strip mine parts of Canada and produce hundreds of tons on nickle carbonyl (one of the top five most toxic chemical ever invented) along the way.

Sure, driving a hybrid car may have some impact on GW. Yet it is also moving us into a different type of climate crisis. What we need more than simply saying “GW is bad and we should not do it” is to move in the general direction of maintaining our planet at the level that the planet can actually sustain over the long haul.

As it happens, many of the things that we should be doing to fix one potential planetary crisis are the same as what we need to do for other potential planetary issues.

The fact is that we can't maintain a global population of six billion people.

The fact is that we can't maintain an energy economy large enough to feed that population.

The fact is that we can't keep going along like we have been and claim that nothing bad will ever happen.

In fact, the reason that we think about this stuff at all is born from the fact that we have already fucked up the environment in huge ways.

In the 1920's, we saw the dust bowl. In the 60's, we lit the Cuyahoga river on fire. Times Beach. Love Canal. The underground coal seam in Pennsylvania that has been on fire for decades.

If we take nothing else from those examples, we should take the fact that we can easily fuck up the environment.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=