Been too long

manifestmiasma
manifestmiasma's picture
User is offlineOffline
Been too long

Hello all,

I decided to reintroduce myself because it has been far too long since I've been on the site.  About three years, to be exact.  I registered when I heard about RRS during the Blasphemy Challenge media blitz, though I had been following the community on YouTube for some time, and I had contributed videos and comments to discussions about science, philosophy, and religion via my YouTube channel (my same user name as on this site here).  The last three years have been a period of growth for me both professionally in science, and personally, and I'm interested in contributing my own experience to discussions here, and to the community at large, where I'm able and where it's appropriate.  I've shaped my education and career with the intent of following in the footsteps of people like Carl Sagan and Neil DeGrasse Tyson, two of my heroes.  I work and reside in Silicon Valley at a national laboratory, and my research and interests focus on photon science and astrophysics.  I'm also an amateur astronomer and bibliophile.  Because of my job and personal life, I keep a pretty tight lid on personal information online; I don't have a Facebook or Twitter account, but you can PM me, email, or message me via YouTube if you want to contact me personally. 

It's nice to be back on the site, and I have a video series planned for my YouTube channel this summer, so I hope to chat and share with you soon.

- Ash

The greatest battle is to engage in the struggle of the here, the now, to use the power we have within to change that without. We have within us all that we need.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Welcome back!

Welcome back!

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hu Am U?

Hu Am U?

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome back.

Can you tell us more about your upcoming video series?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

Can you tell us more about your upcoming video series?

I had an upcoming video series?

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! Tell us about your

Welcome! Tell us about your beliefs and such. Always nice to hear a scientist's perspective on things.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome (back) to Rational

Welcome (back) to Rational Responders. 

manifestmiasma wrote:

I work and reside in Silicon Valley at a national laboratory, and my research and interests focus on photon science and astrophysics.

Awesome, I'm a physics student.

Can you elaborate further on your research? Thanks.   

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare