Top 10 Secrets of Effective Liars

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline

Psychology Today wrote:
As I've written earlier, human beings have an innate skill at dishonesty. And with good reason: being able to manipulate the expectations of those around us is a key survival trait  for social animals like ourselves. Indeed, a 1999 study by psychologist Robert Feldman at the University of Massachusetts showed that the most popular kids were also the most effective liars. Just because our aptitude is hardwired doesn't mean it can't improve with practice and skill. Here are ten techniques that top-notch liars use to maximize their effectiveness. (By the way, this information is offered as a way to help detect deceit in others, not to practice it yourself. Honestly!)

#1 Have a reason. "Prisons are filled with bad liars," says psychologist Charles Ford, author of the book Lies! Lies! Lies!. "The good liars are out running HMOs." So what's the big difference? Basically, says Ford, the trick is to lie as little as possible - only when you actually have something to gain. "Pathological liars can't stop themselves from lying, so they tell a lot of little lies and wind up getting caught," he says. Truly expert fabricators, on the other hand, save their ammunition - they don't bother to lie unless it's going to get them something they really want.

#2 Lay your groundwork. Don't wait until you're under the interrogation lamp to start putting your story together. A 1990 study by psychologist Bill Flanagan showed that liars who had worked out the details of their stories beforehand had significantly more success than those who hadn't. As in everything, practice makes perfect. "It's easier to catch someone in lie the first time they tell it," says psychologist Dr. Cynthia Cohen

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
BTW...I have some really

BTW...

I have some really interesting lies to tell my fellow RRS'ers... about "Lamb power", "Shepherds", and "First Man; First Woman" but only if there's some $$$, hookers, and blow involved.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wonder if my problem is

I wonder if my problem is genetic?  I can't lie for shit.  If I try, total strangers look at me - yeah, sure, lady.   Telling the truth seems to be my only option.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's easy to lie to stupid

It's easy to lie to stupid people, and it's easier to lie to smart people. Everyone has an ego, a vice or a concience.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:BTW...I have

Kapkao wrote:

BTW...

I have some really interesting lies to tell my fellow RRS'ers... about "Lamb power", "Shepherds", and "First Man; First Woman" but only if there's some $$$, hookers, and blow involved.

I have some that will make you see Jesus.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:It's easy to

robj101 wrote:

It's easy to lie to stupid people, and it's easier to lie to smart people. Everyone has an ego, a vice or a concience.

BINGO!

chndlrjhnsn
chndlrjhnsn's picture
User is offlineOffline
This sentence is false.

This sentence is false.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:I wonder if my

cj wrote:

I wonder if my problem is genetic?  I can't lie for shit.  If I try, total strangers look at me - yeah, sure, lady.   Telling the truth seems to be my only option.

You haven't been practicing since birth, like I have. It helps if your parents are somewhat dishonest themselves, you were an only child, spoiled rotten by parents (at varying intervals), had your fair share of "Good for me and NOT for thee!", felt like you were punished for telling the truth every now and then, and could basically get what you wanted if you worded things jjjuuussst right.

It also helps if there's a lot of liars on TV, in public office, on theater screens, on front page news, walking around places of 'worship', in the middle of court rooms, and over radio waves as well.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:cj wrote:I

Kapkao wrote:

cj wrote:

You haven't been practicing since birth, like I have. It helps if your parents are somewhat dishonest themselves, you were an only child, spoiled rotten by parents (at varying intervals), had your fair share of "Good for me and NOT for thee!", felt like you were punished for telling the truth every now and then, and could basically get what you wanted if you worded things jjjuuussst right.

It also helps if there's a lot of liars on TV, in public office, on theater screens, on front page news, walking around places of 'worship', in the middle of court rooms, and over radio waves as well.

I knew it.  It is all my mother's fault.  I couldn't tell a lie to her - ever.  When I was young, a teen, a young mother, or an old lady fart.  She was in the nursing home dieing and I could not lie to her.  And I never caught her in a lie either.  Sigh.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:cj wrote:I

Kapkao wrote:

cj wrote:

Sounds like a big problem for atheists.  If everyone around can be a liar, then atheists are likely liars too.  This approach is basically similar to Aiden's logic.

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have never had a problem...

I have never had a problem lying when I needed to, but my mom is one of the people who can always get the truth out of me and always sees through my lies. She just knows, like she has some super psychology superpower. Like when I was 15 and she picked me up from my ex-girlfriends place, and somehow she knew I was "no longer a child". She just looked at me with a look of "I know something happened". It was so awkward...

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
chndlrjhnsn wrote:This

chndlrjhnsn wrote:

This sentence is false.

This sentence does not have seven words.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist

100percentAtheist wrote:
Sounds like a big problem for atheists.  If everyone around can be a liar, then atheists are likely liars too.  This approach is basically similar to Aiden's logic.

(All sillyness aside about my not-so-magic ability to manipulate others...)

I can't be sure, because you didn't mention any specifics, but this post looks like a strawman. To assume that atheists are somehow immune to all the lying found highly prevalent in many other belief systems, is well... buying into an interesting fabrication in, of itself.

We aren't immune, but then, we aren't telling others to believe or trying to faith-heal them, either!

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

chndlrjhnsn wrote:

This sentence is false.

Gödel's incompleteness theorems can not be proven true.

The system Gödel used to allegedly prove his theorems is inconsistent.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
I duno about all that but

I duno about all that but just pretend what you are saying is the truth. Obviously keep your facts straight don't go to over he top and always try achor it to  a smaller truth somthing that really happened just not to the extent that you are saying it. Helps when it is brought up again and you forget that you were lying. Im aware most of these are on the list.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Answers in Gene

EXC wrote:

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

chndlrjhnsn wrote:

This sentence is false.

Gödel's incompleteness theorems can not be proven true.

The system Gödel used to allegedly prove his theorems is inconsistent.

2+2=5