What fun - morality can be bent using magnetic fields.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
What fun - morality can be bent using magnetic fields.

Morality Altered by Brain Stimulation

By Rachael Rettner, LiveScience Staff Writer

posted: 29 March 2010 03:06 pm ET

By stimulating a certain region of the brain, scientists can alter a person's ability to make moral judgments.

When people hear news of a crime like a shooting, they likely need more information before they can judge the offender's actions as right or wrong — was the crime accidental or intentional? If it was an accident or if the shooter was defending him or herself, people are likely to see the act as much more morally acceptable than if it was deliberate and unwarranted.

The study results show that stimulating a specific brain region interfered with the participants' ability to consider this mental state information when assessing hypothetical situations dealing with morality.

For instance, participants who received this brain stimulation were more likely to judge as morally acceptable scenarios involving attempted harms — where a person intends, but fails to carry out a crime, like an attempted poisoning.

Even though the researchers went into the study suspecting they might see such a pattern, they were quite surprised by the results.

"It was still surprising to us that we were able to actually change people's moral judgments by disrupting activity in this specific brain region, just because moral judgment is obviously really complicated and depends on a number of factors," said study author Liane Young, a postdoctoral researcher at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. "So the kind of precise deficit that we found was really striking."

Previous work had suggested that a brain region known as the right temporoparietal junction (TPJ), located on the brain's outer layer near the right ear, was involved in making moral judgments. These studies, however, were based on fMRI brain imaging experiments, which cannot directly test whether a certain brain area is involved in a specific function.

Instead, Young and her colleagues used a technique called transcranial magnetic stimulation to directly disrupt activity in the right TPJ. The method applies a magnetic field to a small area of the head, which interferes with the brain cells' ability to work properly. However, the effect is only temporary, and the technique is not invasive.

In one experiment, eight participants first received brain stimulations, then read through several scenarios and were asked to judge the characters' actions on a morality scale, ranging from 1 (absolutely forbidden) to 7 (absolutely permissible).

In another experiment, 12 participants rated the moral scenarios, but this time the stimulation was given precisely when the subjects were making their moral judgments.

In both tests, stimulation to the TPJ caused subjects to have trouble judging scenarios in which the characters' intention and the ultimate conclusion of the situation didn't match up.

"They judged failed attempts to harm, where no harm was actually done, as more permissible, and accidents, where harm was actually done in spite of a good intention, as [more] morally forbidden," Young said.

The stimulation might have caused subjects to have trouble interpreting intentions, and so they used other information, like the situation outcome, to make their judgments.

The results were published this week in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

http://www.livescience.com/culture/moral-judgments-altered-100329.html

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sorry for saying this but I guess

this research proves hitler had a lot of personal magnetism...

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:this

Atheistextremist wrote:

this research proves hitler had a lot of personal magnetism...

lol

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
Perhaps the New Agers and

Perhaps the New Agers and other crazy "miracle cure" homeopathy nuts new this all along. Get someone to try some magnetic shoes and you got them for life hahahaha

kidvelvet
atheist
kidvelvet's picture
User is offlineOffline
So...that wasn't really a

So...that wasn't really a mustache on Hitler, but thousands of little magnetic shavings of evil.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Morality is whatever feels

Morality is whatever feels right, whatever is convenient. More proof that we're all just self-serving bastards and the concept of morality needs to be dumped.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quite the opposite. This

Quite the opposite. This proves morality is hardwired.  And alterable

Awesome find Extremist.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

DarkSam
DarkSam's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hehe, this will cause all

Hehe, this will cause all theists to stumble for their bibles.

OneShotKillShot
OneShotKillShot's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not sure if this study

I'm not sure if this study actually shows a change in morality rather than a change in decision making. Since the decisions being made are based on opinion and learned experience not fact I think the study should involve more scenerios with questions about emotions.

It is funny to see how easily suscceptible we are to outside influence despite our own conviction.

One nation under Allah....start practicing it now the day is upon us.

liberatedatheist
atheistScience Freak
liberatedatheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree one shot

Its amazing how many things can affect what we conceive as "free will" showing how little of it we really have.

I Am My God

The absence of evidence IS evidence of absence

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm still waiting for

I'm still waiting for someone to develop a "Psyche-rape" device - the ultimate weapon of terror (hint, if morality is bent using magnetic fields, so can the level of psychological 'despair' experienced in one's mind be manipulated)

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:I'm still

Kapkao wrote:

I'm still waiting for someone to develop a "Psyche-rape" device - the ultimate weapon of terror (hint, if morality is bent using magnetic fields, so can the level of psychological 'despair' experienced in one's mind be manipulated)

That's a lot more effective than what I thought of. This thread reminded me of a sci fi story I read in which there was a device that lit up the pain centers in someone's brain. But if you have a device that can light up feelings of despair and violation then you could skip the torture and jump right to trauma.

It is a bit disturbing that such things will probably be built some day. And it is disturbing that implanting electrodes into someone's head can make them feel insane rage or other powerful emotions at the touch of a button.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

rdklep8
atheistScience FreakSuperfan
rdklep8's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:Kapkao

Jormungander wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

That's a lot more effective than what I thought of. This thread reminded me of a sci fi story I read in which there was a device that lit up the pain centers in someone's brain. But if you have a device that can light up feelings of despair and violation then you could skip the torture and jump right to trauma.

It is a bit disturbing that such things will probably be built some day. And it is disturbing that implanting electrodes into someone's head can make them feel insane rage or other powerful emotions at the touch of a button.

Very interesting find.  I'd like a follow up study in 10 years on how many of these people got brain cancer due to concentrated magnetic waves to the brain haha.

AE keep the articles coming.  Also tell me where you're finding them.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:Kapkao

Jormungander wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

I'd be careful with that last notion; 'rage against the nonexistant' has been a particularly helpful tactic in my growing 'early-onset' atheism...

rdklep8 wrote:

Very interesting find.  I'd like a follow up study in 10 years on how many of these people got brain cancer due to concentrated magnetic waves to the brain haha.

'DENIAL' is not a river in Egypt.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
rdklep8 wrote:Jormungander

rdklep8 wrote:

Jormungander wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

I see most of these on Slashdot.org at some point.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Science Daily is the single best science news

rdklep8 wrote:

web site I know of. It operates at a research level and is fed by universities and research centres around the world. I also visit LiveScience, Science Now, Science Online, Science Today regularly but they're not at the same level.

New Scientist Mag is good for detailed commentary. But if you love untrammelled research then Science Daily is the place to call home.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

rdklep8
atheistScience FreakSuperfan
rdklep8's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just bookmarked the lot of

Just bookmarked the lot of them.  Thanks.