I am back

dave805
dave805's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am back

I used to post quite a lot a while ago but then had to take a break.. Then i took another break.. And now i am back again.

Nice to see everyone is doing good Smiling... I doubt that anyone remembers me. Thats ok though 

Hope everyone is good

Dave

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nice to meet you Dave

Hey - that's a cracking avatar you have there...

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi.Welcome back.

Hi.

Welcome back.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 A very cool avatar indeed.

A very cool avatar indeed.  Welcome back.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Welcome.

Welcome.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
dave805 wrote:I used to post

dave805 wrote:

I used to post quite a lot a while ago but then had to take a break.. Then i took another break.. And now i am back again.

Nice to see everyone is doing good Smiling... I doubt that anyone remembers me. Thats ok though 

Hope everyone is good

Dave

Love your avatar. What pisses me off about it though is that an atheist allowed his company to put out crap to the point your avatar was inspired. Windows has more holes in it than the Bible. I don't know how Bill Gates can show his face in public.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:dave805

Brian37 wrote:

dave805 wrote:

Hope everyone is good

Dave

Love your avatar. What pisses me off about it though is that an atheist allowed his company to put out crap to the point your avatar was inspired. Windows has more holes in it than the Bible. I don't know how Bill Gates can show his face in public.

And what have you got against $2000 paperweights/doorstops??

OH, and welcome back, dave805!

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
You were probably well

You were probably well before my time here, but welcome back!

Brian37 wrote:

Maybe because he's a brilliant businessman and philanthropist who has, all told, put more into education, humanitarian efforts, and technological innovation than anybody in history?  The man's a bloody saint.  Of course it can be argued that he can *afford* to be.

Bill revolutionized the idea of an independent operating system which would allow different computers to work on the same terms- which in itself revolutionized competition in the field of hardware by giving people real choice (something mac has still yet to do).

Yes, it is inefficient in many ways, and a vast majority of the applications are relative crap (like the buggy add-ware MSN messenger is), but it isn't easy to build an operating system that works across so many hardware platforms, particularly as the back end becomes so large that nobody can fully learn and understand the whole thing at once.

Computing is quickly reaching the limits of immediate human comprehension, and we're finding quite a trend of ghosts in the machines- emerging from the chaos that is unexpected interactions.  At the end of the day, you just have to put out as many bugs as you can and release to make the deadline.  It's an unfortunate truth of the software industry.

Having programmed myself, and being in software, I can say I've gained a healthy respect for bugs, and the sheer amount of work it takes to really stamp them out.

Of course, Bill is also more distanced from Microsoft of late, and focuses more on his foundation and charitable work.  Among other things, revolutions in nuclear power- for which he earns ample respect from me, regardless of any imperfections in commercial products he may have been behind in the past.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bill Gates was a barely

Bill Gates was a barely adequate programmer - and even worse interface designer. 

I have encountered way too many examples or really stupid design decisions from Microsoft in my programming career to maintain any respect for the company. A triumph of marketing over quality.

The Vista fiasco is just the latest example of their incompetence. 

I come close to 'losing it' almost every time I have to do something with it.

At least they appear to have somewhat recovered with Windows 7, from my experience with it so far.

Apple are far from perfect, and they tend to go a bit far in keeping their stuff closed, but having used both systems regularly for a long time, I can only say that using Windows allows me to be much more accepting of the odd Apple bug or strange behaviour - Windows shows it could be so much worse. I edit all my Windoze apps on a Mac connected via my network to a Windows compiler (running on a virtual machine on top of Linux).

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Bill Gates

BobSpence1 wrote:

Bill Gates was a barely adequate programmer - and even worse interface designer. 

I have encountered way too many examples or really stupid design decisions from Microsoft in my programming career to maintain any respect for the company. A triumph of marketing over quality.

The Vista fiasco is just the latest example of their incompetence. 

I come close to 'losing it' almost every time I have to do something with it.

At least they appear to have somewhat recovered with Windows 7, from my experience with it so far.

Apple are far from perfect, and they tend to go a bit far in keeping their stuff closed, but having used both systems regularly for a long time, I can only say that using Windows allows me to be much more accepting of the odd Apple bug or strange behaviour - Windows shows it could be so much worse. I edit all my Windoze apps on a Mac connected via my network to a Windows compiler (running on a virtual machine on top of Linux).

The only thing that can equate to the horrors in the Bible is Vista. Vista makes the Bible look like Blue's Clues. I'd rather be a Christian than a Microsoft programmer. The only c: prompt command worth anything is "format C:"

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
What, exactly, was wrong

What, exactly, was wrong with Vista?  I pushed Vista out on probably 40% of my workstations, and ran it personally for about 2 years.  The only thing I didn't like was UAC, but that is just 3-4 clicks to disable.

Then people seem to like Windows 7 so much (so do I), but it is almost exactly like Vista, just with UAC turned down by default and some GUI upgrades!

Windows ME was a disaster.  Windows Vista was decent and stable.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:What,

mellestad wrote:

What, exactly, was wrong with Vista?  I pushed Vista out on probably 40% of my workstations, and ran it personally for about 2 years.  The only thing I didn't like was UAC, but that is just 3-4 clicks to disable.

Then people seem to like Windows 7 so much (so do I), but it is almost exactly like Vista, just with UAC turned down by default and some GUI upgrades!

Just now in another post I said that no matter how much we hate someone else's claims we don't have to hate the person, just the claims. I take that back.

Vista is lower than toilet paper and less useful. You are my mortal enemy and I have just put a curse on you and your entire family!

If I had been one of the 9/11 Hijackers my target would have been Microsoft Headquarters. FUCK CHRISTIANITY, MICROSOFT IS FAR WORSE! The Bible has less holes than Vista.

That is my silly and dark way of asking......."WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU SMOKING?"

Stable? If by crashing every five minutes, you define as "stable" then yea.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:mellestad

Brian37 wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Just now in another post I said that no matter how much we hate someone else's claims we don't have to hate the person, just the claims. I take that back.

Vista is lower than toilet paper and less useful. You are my mortal enemy and I have just put a curse on you and your entire family!

If I had been one of the 9/11 Hijackers my target would have been Microsoft Headquarters. FUCK CHRISTIANITY, MICROSOFT IS FAR WORSE! The Bible has less holes than Vista.

That is my silly and dark way of asking......."WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU SMOKING?"

Stable? If by crashing every five minutes, you define as "stable" then yea.

Hmm.  I rolled it out on about 50 machines and it was more stable than XP.  *shrug*

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I never had a problem wuth

I never had a problem wuth stability of Vista, altho I think Brian did, possibly because of driver problems on the machine he was sold.

My face-palming reaction has been the organization and interface "design", which was bad even by Microsoft 'standards'.

You see I use XP, occasional Linux, and Mac OSX side-by-side, and develop software on Windows and Mac. That may give me a different perspective, and more opportunity for regular comparisons.

It is disappointing to see Apple adopting some of the sillier UI conventions that MS use, like making some active interface elements, like buttons and links not apparent until you wave the mouse over them. What I have seen of the Windows Mobile 7 i/f looks like MS are taking this approach to a ridiculous extreme. I should have done the world a favor and bombed '1 Microsoft Way' in Redmond when I wandered onto the 'campus' just for curiosity, while sight-seeing the North-West of the US. J/K, of course, but the best one could say about M$ is that they have been a very mixed 'blessing' to the world of personal computing.