Iraq 2003; The Aftermath

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iraq 2003; The Aftermath

As we speak, Tony Blair, former Prime Minister of the UK, is being questioned.

A strong general consensus feels that he's a war criminal who lead his country astray; causing the unnecessary death of many British soldiers out on the battlefields of a war that should have never been started. It wasn't justified. It wasn't right. It was an illegal war - on all levels. It seems likely that Mr. Blair will get some sort of reprimande... but he was of course clever enough to secure the support of the Parliament before actually going to war, so he can't be blamed all on his own.

We shall see where this goes.

The question is: Is it realistic to hope that the US of A will finally gather their amorphous coward jello enough together so that they form the actual balls needed to deal with this issue and prosecute former President Bush, and the real power behind the throne, former VP "Dick the Great"? I think not.

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Blair story on the

The Blair story on the news:

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline

U.N.  Security Council Resolution 1382

U.N. Security Council Resolution 1441

You can blame Bush and Cheney all you want but Iraq was a rogue state and needed to be dealt with.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Abu Lahab wrote:Iraq was a

Abu Lahab wrote:
Iraq was a rogue state and needed to be dealt with.

Sieg Heil !!!

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
You =

You =

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Abu Lahab wrote: You

Abu Lahab wrote:

You =

Me?

No, dude, this is me...

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oi! is so passe. Fascism

Oi! is so passe. Fascism ruined punk music and was counter to what punk was about.

I still firmly believe that you're a hippie until you prove otherwise.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Abu Lahab wrote:I still

Abu Lahab wrote:

I still firmly believe that you're a hippie until you prove otherwise.

I don't give a rat's ass what you believe. Now... topic, please?

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline

OK, hippie, you told a lie and I am still waiting for you to explain why the U.N. mandates weren't enough?

What study are you using to make the claim that "A strong general consensus feels that he's a war criminal who lead his country astray"?

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
You are showing your true

You are showing your true face.

There's a lot about politics that you don't understand, isn't it?

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:You are

Marquis wrote:

You are showing your true face.

There's a lot about politics that you don't understand, isn't it?

Fascinating rebuttal.

Don't you have a post to make about <fill_in_the_blank> music? Don't let me keep you.

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
More from Tony Blair...  

More from Tony Blair...

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes Tony... what exactly is

Yes Tony... what exactly is it that we enjoy in countries like ours...?

atheist6in6a6foxhole
atheist6in6a6foxhole's picture
User is offlineOffline
damn... we finally agree on something

any person who has studied the constitution at all knows that the iraq war was illegal. as a matter of fact, it wasn't even a war; it's considered a conflict. the US hasn't been to war since WW2 when roosevelt declared war on the japanese and all of their allies. due to the war powers clause in the constitution, only congress has the authority to declare war. i think it's kinda funny that it took less than 1 piece of paper to declare war on the japanese, and to go to iraq it took hundreds if not thousands of pages filled with loopholes and bullshit. 

do i believe that iraq was a "rogue state" that needed to be taken care of? no. we put saddam in power, after all. anyone who thinks the US should be the world's policeman must understand that doing so would require us to go through an endless line of countries who are suffering from dictatorship, slavery and genocide. we only went into iraq because they had valuable resources which we, as capitalists, needed - and wanted. i highly doubt that anyone here would volunteer their kids for the infantry so that they could fight these wars.

i personally believe that george bush and dick cheney should be hanged on the white house lawn. make an example of them; let their families see what it's like to have someone you love taken from you so unfairly and ruthlessly.

di oppresso liber

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God." -George Bush, Sr.

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline

atheist6in6a6foxhole wrote:

we put saddam in power

We put a lot of people in power. They take U.S. money and then turn on us. Does that mean we are still friends? I would hope common sense would win out over false promises. Yeah, i'm looking at you, Pakistan!

after all. anyone who thinks the US should be the world's policeman

So who else is there to do it? The U.N.?

must understand that doing so would require us to go through an endless line of countries who are suffering from dictatorship, slavery and genocide.

Doesn't stop us handing out money like it's candy and doesn't stop those same countries that hate us demanding more money 'or else'....

we only went into iraq because they had valuable resources which we, as capitalists, needed - and wanted.

So then how many Iraqi oil fields and how many barrels of Iraqi reserves does the U.S. now own as a result of the Iraq war? Zero on both counts. Iraqi oil belongs to the people of Iraq.

i highly doubt that anyone here would volunteer their kids for the infantry so that they could fight these wars.

Maybe something with more cache, like Airborne or SEAL? My nephew is currently in Afghanistan and loves it. If I had kids I would be proud that they wanted to serve their country.

i personally believe that george bush and dick cheney should be hanged on the white house lawn. make an example of them; let their families see what it's like to have someone you love taken from you so unfairly and ruthlessly.

This is STILL a volunteer military, right?

di oppresso liber

Really? I prefer 'Who Dares Wins'.

atheist6in6a6foxhole
atheist6in6a6foxhole's picture
User is offlineOffline
 the only sensible foreign

the only sensible foreign policy the US should keep is one that includes us not taking part in the world's affairs. we fueled osama bin laden while he was fighting the soviets didn't we? entangling alliances endanger american lives. america can barely take care of her own borders, population and economy; what makes you think we could handle the world? that's ridiculous within itself. in 2002 we received 11.3 million barrels of oil from iraq. i think that's a legitimate amount.

and i'm confused what you were getting at with the airborne/SEAL comment. you're going to take on an entire country with SEALs? that's fucking impossible. SEALs aren't meant to do that kind of stuff. and being a paratrooper i would like to point out that airborne soldiers aren't meant to be a sustained fighting force; all we're meant to do is "strike" and "hold" (504th PIR "devils in baggy pants&quotEye-wink positions until the regulars catch up to relieve us.

and yes, we do live in a volunteer military, but why do young men and women have to go to war to serve their country? i mean, it seems like we're always fighting somebody. why does it have to be that way? why can't they come in without the threat of being killed overseas? it's easy to support this shit when you're back in the states and have never volunteered.

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God." -George Bush, Sr.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh boy, you might be a hippy

Oh boy, you might be a hippy under those fatigues. How do you feel about patchouli? I don't like it because I think it smells like dirt.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
atheist6in6a6foxhole

the only sensible foreign policy the US should keep is one that includes us not taking part in the world's affairs.

We live in a global village now, the old rules don't apply. Basically, we have no choice.

we fueled osama bin laden while he was fighting the soviets didn't we?

And he chose to fight the U.S. once the Russians left. Just to clarify, islam has been at war with dar al harb since its inception.

entangling alliances endanger american lives. america can barely take care of her own borders, population and economy; what makes you think we could handle the world? that's ridiculous within itself.

Are you suggesting an isolationist approach? That won't work, for very obvious reasons.

in 2002 we received 11.3 million barrels of oil from iraq. i think that's a legitimate amount.

which the U.S. paid for. We didn't 'take' it. Conversely, how much did we give Iraq in aid?

and i'm confused what you were getting at with the airborne/SEAL comment.

Just being facetious.  all the kids I know want t be in a 'real' regt. not just some poor grunt.

and yes, we do live in a volunteer military, but why do young men and women have to go to war to serve their country?

They don't.

i mean, it seems like we're always fighting somebody.

Or you could take the viewpoint that someone is always fighting us.

why does it have to be that way?

Human nature. Politics. Greed.

why can't they come in without the threat of being killed overseas? it's easy to support this shit when you're back in the states and have never volunteered.

I agree with the last part, however I was a Redcoat, so to speak, so I whilst I volunteered for Iraq I was turned down due to my age.

We were dealing with sectarian shit in N Ireland and the Falklands when I was in active service.

OT, but I really appreciate you doing what you do even though you see it as contrary to what you believe.

From a dead WWII German Officers' diary: "American parachutists -- devils in baggy pants -- are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere.”

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Abu Lahab

Abu Lahab wrote:

we only went into iraq because they had valuable resources which we, as capitalists, needed - and wanted.

So then how many Iraqi oil fields and how many barrels of Iraqi reserves does the U.S. now own as a result of the Iraq war? Zero on both counts. Iraqi oil belongs to the people of Iraq.

.... actually, the US owns all of it now, or more precisely US corporations own all of it now...

Iraqi people will never see a cent from it, high ranking iraqi officials and politicians... maybe, if their obedient

(Ive seen the Oil claims map kicked around the internet a few times, i might have to dig it up)

What Would Kharn Do?

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Abu Lahab wrote:We were

Abu Lahab wrote:

We were dealing with sectarian shit in N Ireland and the Falklands when I was in active service.

So you are a Brit after all then. How come you speak of "we" when referring to American matters then?

You cannot both be a Brit and an American. You have to make up you mind.

Were you actually in Northern Ireland or the Falkland War? Did you experience confrontations and battle?

I would guess no, you never did. People who have very rarely agitate for more of that shit.

Those who are having a hard-on for war are doing so from the safety of their own couch.

And that is just... disgusting.

Be that however it may, enough about "you".

This thread is about the topic of an illegal war and the fact that the process against those who made the decisions that killed thousands of young soldiers and an unknown number of Iraqi civilians have now slowly started. Do you even remember anything about how it all happened? Now Tony Blair is stating that "the objective always was to remove Saddam" - which, to say the least, is a questionable pretext for going to war. So you don't like the style of some foreign state leader? Invade! Remove! I am sure you will be as liberal with the rules of engagement in the case of Russia, China or Serbia as well. Just to name a few. We are heading for interesting times now that it is OK by international law to engage in war just because you don't like the head of state in some other country. Nobody's disputing the fact that Saddam was a bad motherfucker - but do you seriously think that the dead care much about who's injustice it was that killed them?

Linkthrough to reports from a variety of British newspapers' comments on the Blair process.

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote: So you are a

Marquis wrote:

So you are a Brit after all then.... <SNIP>

This thread is about the topic of an illegal war.... <SNIP>

I have no reason to answer your line of questioning when you haven't even started to answer mine which were on topic.

Please explain why the U.N. mandates weren't enough and what study are you using to make the claim that "A strong general consensus feels that he's a war criminal who lead his country astray"?

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
You don't know a whole lot

You don't know a whole lot about how politics happen, do you?