Unreliable News Sources?

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Unreliable News Sources?

I regularly read two Norwegian newspapers.

Then I read BBC News online, sometimes also Yahoo News (becaue I have a Yahoo email account and things might cath my eye.)

Then there is YouTube, where I follow Russia Today and Al Jazeera.

I cannot think of one single American news source that I trust. It would have to be CNN, under doubt.

How did America get so utterly f***** up?

Where do you get your news from?

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com

Peppermint42
atheistSuperfan
Peppermint42's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hate to come off as some

I hate to come off as some conspiracy theorist because I'm only repeating what I've heard from others, but I'm under the impression that Americans are being deliberately distracted from the real information by the entire entertainment/news/consumer industries.  We're supposed to be too wrapped up trying to be cool or well dressed or physically fit or environmentally friendly or whatever to actually notice what the people running the world are doing.

I'm pretty scared for America right now and I don't believe I'm alone. 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gallowsbait wrote:I hate to

Gallowsbait wrote:

I hate to come off as some conspiracy theorist because I'm only repeating what I've heard from others, but I'm under the impression that Americans are being deliberately distracted from the real information by the entire entertainment/news/consumer industries.  We're supposed to be too wrapped up trying to be cool or well dressed or physically fit or environmentally friendly or whatever to actually notice what the people running the world are doing.

I'm pretty scared for America right now and I don't believe I'm alone. 

it's not a conspiracy theory at all.  conspiracies have to sound at least a trifle unlikely.  the american media is run by human beings who are often totally wacko and have extremely deep pockets.  just look at ted turner and rupert murdoch.  it's only natural that they're open to political influence, bribery, and their own often stupid prejudices.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:it's not a

iwbiek wrote:
it's not a conspiracy theory at all.  conspiracies have to sound at least a trifle unlikely.  the american media is run by human beings who are often totally wacko and have extremely deep pockets.  just look at ted turner and rupert murdoch.  it's only natural that they're open to political influence, bribery, and their own often stupid prejudices.

That, and they want to make a profit. Americans want to be entertained, not informed. Information is hard; entertainment is easy. Americans have a "news cycle," the length of time a story remains entertaining. Look at the recent Tiger Woods non-news -- it lasted, what about a week? Really, it only lasted a couple of days, but they kept coming back to it for a while.

In general, I don't believe Americans really give a fuck about real news. They don't really care how the war is going, or whether Israel is expanding into territory previously owned by others, or that China is becoming the  #1 economic superpower. They'll allow themselves to get frightened if someone brings it up in an entertaining way (say, if Glenn Beck starts crying like a baby who lost his ball on the playground), but otherwise, it isn't important to them.

If Americans watched the real news, they'd have to start caring about the rest of the world. They're just not interested in that.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well Marquis, you are

Well Marquis, you are absolutely correct. No thinking person should ever get their news from a single source. Certainly not in America and from what I get of various international feeds, that maps well to other countries.

For me, I mainly use google news as that gives me a good cross section of English language sources. Often I get my news from India and China feeds. Also, I get news.co.uk and news.com.au. However, the latter two, while better than CNN/Faux news, still seem to reflect American sources more than the others. Probably because we are mostly allied with those two nations.

As far as American sources, for internal issues only, google gives me a cross section of the thousands of American sources that are out there. However, I tend to avoid the big media outlets. Not that I mind getting a bit of opinion in my news. Actually, if you look at some of the history of news reporting, that was really always there. To ask for news free of opinion is probably about as likely as asking for college professors who are free of the same. Never happened, never will. Truth be damned.

As Iwibeck observes, there is the whole Murdoch/Holmes propaganda war. That nonsense produces far more yellow journalism than real news.

On a side note, the term “Yellow Journalism” refers to a media war from a century ago that helped to draw us into the Spanish American War.

wikipedia wrote:
The term originated during the American Gilded Age of the late nineteenth century with the circulation battles between Joseph Pulitzer's New York World and William Randolph Hearst's New York Journal. The battle peaked from 1895 to about 1898, and historical usage often refers specifically to this period. Both papers were accused by critics of sensationalizing the news in order to drive up circulation, although the newspapers did serious reporting as well. The New York Press coined the term "yellow kid journalism" in early 1897 after a then-popular comic strip to describe the down market papers of Pulitzer and Hearst, which both published versions of it during a circulation war. This was soon shortened to yellow journalism with the New York Press insisting, "We called them Yellow because they are Yellow.

Pulitzer and Hearst are often credited (or blamed) for drawing the nation into the Spanish-American War with sensationalist stories or outright lying. However, the vast majority of Americans did not live in New York City, and the decision makers who did live there probably relied more on staid newspapers like the Times, The Sun or the Post. The most famous example of the exaggeration is the apocryphal story that artist Frederic Remington telegrammed Hearst to tell him all was quiet in Cuba and "There will be no war." Hearst responded "Please remain. You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." The story (a version of which appears in the Hearst-inspired Orson Welles film Citizen Kane) first appeared in the memoirs of reporter James Creelman in 1901, and there is no other source for it.

But Hearst became a war hawk after a rebellion broke out in Cuba in 1895. Stories of Cuban virtue and Spanish brutality soon dominated his front page. While the accounts were of dubious accuracy, the newspaper readers of the 19th century did not expect, or necessarily want, his stories to be pure nonfiction. Historian Michael Robertson has said that "Newspaper reporters and readers of the 1890s were much less concerned with distinguishing among fact-based reporting, opinion and literature."

Pulitzer, though lacking Hearst's resources, kept the story on his front page. The yellow press covered the revolution extensively and often inaccurately, but conditions on Cuba were horrific enough. The island was in a terrible economic depression, and Spanish general Valeriano Weyler, sent to crush the rebellion, herded Cuban peasants into concentration camps leading hundreds of Cubans to their deaths. Having clamored for a fight for two years, Hearst took credit for the conflict when it came: A week after the United States declared war on Spain, he ran "How do you like the Journal's war?" on his front page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_journalism

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Any of the mainstream news

Any of the mainstream news services on US TV are laughable.

I watch LINKTV for their foriegn news, like al Jazeera and the daily German and English shows.

Once I've seen enough I cross-check the story of interest with my good friend the Internet.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh the irony...

Bearing in mind that my primary school years was spent during the 70's, with the world view that followed naturally from this; I must say that I find it more than just a little ironic that Russia Today seems to be a more reliable and balanced source of news from the US of A than any equivalent news channel that they've got themselves.

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:I cannot think

Marquis wrote:

I cannot think of one single American news source that I trust.

Really? cause i can think of 2...

Daily Show & Colbert Report

What Would Kharn Do?

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
I usually read the financial

I usually read the financial newspapers because I think many times they report accurately about things that have an economic impact and it doesn't usually get picked up by the associated press. I still think most of what they print is probably inaccurate though.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 I watch a blend of BBC,

I watch a blend of BBC, CNBC, CNN, MSNBC, CSPAN, and I haven't missed an episode of The Daily Show in years.  From time to time I turn on Fox news so that I learn what the most dishonest people are saying, sometimes attaining the opposite of truth makes it easier to discern the truth.  

The problem with the "news" is that it thrives on viewers and viewers thrive on sensationalism.  The BBC is the least biased of my listed news sources (sans CSPAN)... it's also the most dull.  I like it, but people have a propensity to something with more excitement. 

atomicdogg34
atheist
atomicdogg34's picture
User is offlineOffline
i watch Fox, MSNBC,

i watch Fox, MSNBC, read/watch alot on news on the interweb

the opinion shows on fox are pretty bad (especialy hannity) but MSNBC aint any better (keith olbermann anyone?)

fox does have a great webshow every wednesday called "freedom watch" with judge andrew napolitano

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote: How did

Marquis wrote:

How did America get so utterly f***** up?

I think it's an indication of the odd state of the education system in the U.S.

On one hand, the public education system ranges from terrible to excellent, depending upon where one lives. So there is a significant portion of the American population that received a primary education that most industrialized countries would consider substandard.

On the other hand, it is quite possible (and not uncommon) to become financially successful in the U.S. despite having a substandard education. And anyone who is successful (or thinks they are successful) doesn't like to be told they're stupid.

Marquis wrote:

An alphabet soup of American and European sources. I have Google alerts set up for topics that interest me, and that generates a wide variety of sources.

An alphabet soup

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Peppermint42
atheistSuperfan
Peppermint42's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:In

nigelTheBold wrote:

In general, I don't believe Americans really give a fuck about real news. They don't really care how the war is going, or whether Israel is expanding into territory previously owned by others, or that China is becoming the  #1 economic superpower. They'll allow themselves to get frightened if someone brings it up in an entertaining way (say, if Glenn Beck starts crying like a baby who lost his ball on the playground), but otherwise, it isn't important to them.

If Americans watched the real news, they'd have to start caring about the rest of the world. They're just not interested in that.

Well, I agree that most Americans don't care, and until recently I didn't care much because I didn't understand anything that was going on.  My problem was that I didn't know who all these people are that they name and all the complicated issues they talk about because nobody bothered to mention to me that what big businessmen and bankers and politicians are doing effected me or my family at all.  But ever since I became aware of some of the ways my life is being affected (especially now that I work and pay my own bills) and aware of the fact that the American dollar is practically worthless, I've been paying more and more attention and I feel so frustrated that I still really don't know what's going on or how I could possibly do anything to make things better.  I mean, what's the point of knowing if I can't change it?  But still, I'm very much interested now, I just don't know where to start to get myself caught up with the rest of all you well-informed people.

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gallowsbait wrote: I just

Gallowsbait wrote:
 I just don't know where to start to get myself caught up with the rest of all you well-informed people.

Start here:

http://www.intelligencesquared.com/

I'm confident others will pitch in. Oh, and read....lots.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm old

Some days I feel older than dirt.  Okay, growing up, I read the newspaper.  And it was a small town, so the local high school football teams were bigger news than any professional or college teams.  But it was before the super bowl, (I SAID I was older than dirt), so there wasn't the same frenzy over the professional games.  I remember my dad and uncle getting excited over the Thanksgiving day college games.

So I'm biased.  I still rely on AP and Reuters and all that, I have just switched to Yahoo news because it so conveniently collects them for me on one web site.  I also like that Yahoo news has more than just US feeds, and groups the articles by topic.  If I want to see the food and garden sections, I visit my local paper on line.

No TV.  No cable.  No satellite.  We do have a TV and occasionally watch a DVD.  But TV news?  Impossible - it ain't news, it's just blathering by a bunch of people who think they have good hair.  Blech.  I think the worse thing Ronald Reagan ever did for news was to introduce sound bites to political commercials.  It used to be - "I'm Joe Blow.  Vote for me for dog catcher."  And if you really wanted to know his opinions, you read the newspaper article where he was interviewed and he had time to explain his views thoughtfully.  Now, people make up their minds listening to 30 second race-to-hell commercials.  And the TV news reflects that downward spiral.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
The Onion   

The Onion

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Also, I get news.co.uk and news.com.au. However, the latter two, while better than CNN/Faux news, still seem to reflect American sources more than the others. Probably because we are mostly allied with those two nations.

A bungload of our news media is owned by Murdoch and his lot are FOX and operate out of the US so we get the same bilge through our system mostly because it's coming from exactly the same source. 

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com