Marquis vs. Luminon on the subject of Spirituality PEANUT GALLERY

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Marquis vs. Luminon on the subject of Spirituality PEANUT GALLERY

Want to say something about Marquis and Luminon discussing Spirituality?  This is the thread for it.  

Here is their discussion: http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/19363

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'm sure they'll make a cute

I'm sure they'll make a cute couple.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
this is for luminon:i have a

this is for luminon:

i have a bottle of borovicka in my hand as i sing:

JUPI JO JO JUPI JUPI JO!  JUPI JO JO JUPI JUPI JO!

if he looks at this, he'll know what i mean.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Spirituality - The

Spirituality - The narcissistic belief that one's own hallucinations and delusions make you special and superior to others.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
If the boys can agree on

a definition of spirituality I'll be surprised. Lum has an intensely personal view of reality that has sedimentary layers of curiousness while Marquis is a non-spritual atheist of more than usual directness of phrase and less than usual patience. Given Lum is never going to admit he is wrong if he can conceive another level to the rabbit hole, things simply must spark up at some point...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
luminon really frustrates

luminon really frustrates the shit out of me.  it seems like it's always either speculation or "i have observed this stuff, i'm capable of sensing it, etc., etc."  if it's observable even to a fraction of people, why not subject it to the scientific method?

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

iwbiek wrote:

luminon really frustrates the shit out of me.  it seems like it's always either speculation or "i have observed this stuff, i'm capable of sensing it, etc., etc."  if it's observable even to a fraction of people, why not subject it to the scientific method?

because 

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:luminon really

iwbiek wrote:

And how the hell do you know that I don't subject it to scientific method? Scientific method needs logics, common sense, ability of comparison, and such a skills. This is what I use frequently, with good results. It's not about having a big and well funded laboratory. The greatest problem is technical. People who are naturally sensitive are just too rare, and training that requires time and effort. Not more time and effort, than getting university degrees that many of us have, but contemporary society is much more supportive to academic disciplines, than occult disciplines. This is why getting suitable people to research is so diffcult. And without those people, we can't develop technology that will reliably replace the rare human factor. (or we can just use the goddamn EAV meter)

But even more seriously, I wrote an e-mail to university in Brno where they have Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging, I offered them my head for scanning as one of volunteers they needed. They didn't respond. I wonder how many such e-mails they get every week.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:iwbiek

Luminon wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

And how the hell do you know that I don't subject it to scientific method?

if you do, offer us a study, offer us data, offer something observable or at least falsifiable.  otherwise there is no scientific methodology to it.  the reason i assume that you don't apply the scientific method to the phenomena you experience is that you never offer any data, and on a website like this one would think that that would be the first thing you'd do.  instead, you typically argue from vague allusions to personal experiences or search for connections between current scientific theory and occult teachings, seemingly in an attempt to demonstrate that the occult has beaten mainstream science to the punch and/or is ahead of mainstream science.  the only problem is these connections are not demonstrable.

besides, shouldn't you be using your time for marquis right now?  you two are the movie and we are the obnoxious theater patrons discussing you.  let's keep it that way.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:And how the hell do

Quote:

Because if you had, and a tenth of the shit you believe in was true, you'd have already won a Nobel Prize.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote: But even

Luminon wrote:

But even more seriously, I wrote an e-mail to university in Brno where they have Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging, I offered them my head for scanning as one of volunteers they needed. They didn't respond. I wonder how many such e-mails they get every week.

I'd be interested to see the results

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:besides, shouldn't

Quote:
besides, shouldn't you be using your time for marquis right now?  you two are the movie and we are the obnoxious theater patrons discussing you.  let's keep it that way.

Here's my comment:

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Because if you had, and a tenth of the shit you believe in was true, you'd have already won a Nobel Prize.

Currently, the #1 funniest line of 2010.

I laughed so hard I got a headache. Or maybe that was just focused mental energy. lol.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

I'm waiting for Marquis to acknowledge that M-theory is in the realm of metaphysics.

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Philosophicus wrote: I'm

Philosophicus wrote:

I'm waiting for Marquis to acknowledge that M-theory is in the realm of metaphysics.

Dude, metaphysics has been the name of the game ever since the first appearance of the Copenhagen model.

Here's a lecture I find particularely (hah! pun!) funny:

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com