a few poems

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
a few poems

i've been posting on this site a long time and i've never tooted my horn along this line, but i guess brian has motivated me a bit, so i'll post a few poems of my own.  i write a lot of poems; they're not about atheism or theism or anything like that, but i suppose they occasionally touch on priapism.  they're purely self-indulgent therapeutuc exercises.  i usually write at least half-drunk or on a very strong nicotine buzz from a hookah, and i end up throwing out at least half as being a pure drunken mess.  here's a few of the filtered gleanings of the last three months or so, with your kind permission:

i want to start writing poems again
but i have no ideas
so i'll write without one
this is plucked from my current thoughts
i promise i'll do better

the earliest morning dew
under my bare feet
in danville
i ran naked
i ran the flame
i ran my youth
now at 27 i've caught it
if i don't fall
into the old rut
of being an asshole
i figure i can hold onto it
for at least another 40 years
i had been drunk
on whiskey
and the tao
now i savor
the ruach
now i savor
the ruach
got it, jack?

i won't put titles
on poems anymore
titles are an admission
of inadequacy
if you can't say it all
in the first line
you can't say shit
(or maybe that's
all you can say)

two pretty maids
stretched like felines on a persian rug
drinking tea
one has the cradle of life
turned in my direction
i can't paint
so i write
if i was a brave man
i would talk
if i was a handsome man
they would talk
but i'm content
with my current situation
from the first sight
it usually goes downhill
in any case

just how does one get to be alone again?
just how does one extradite oneself?
just how does one eject the flaming carcass
of another's heart?
these questions trouble me.

sitting on a bench
looking for a party i can't find
an unpublished poet
feeling thirty coming on
who once played fierce songs
and chased girls
and caught one occasionally
is now waiting
until enough
time passes
to call his colleagues
without looking like a fool
conventionally married
with chronic foot pain
an unpublished poet
feeling thirty coming on

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for sharing IB

Normal 0 false false false EN-AU X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Enjoyed those!

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Normal 0 false false false EN-AU X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Enjoyed those!

jesus christ, man, either you fucked up your post or you're a dadaist genius.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
You must fuck couplets and

You must fuck couplets and meter up the ass

I must have missed the importance of the packaging

Because the content was more important to me

If anything describes it "wow" is fitting

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's certainly poetry.

It's certainly poetry.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

dingusdangus
Troll
dingusdangus's picture
User is offlineOffline
and now for something completely different......................

Vastet wrote:
It's certainly poetry.
you beat me to it, asshole.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
dingusdangus wrote:Vastet

dingusdangus wrote:

Vastet wrote:
It's certainly poetry.
you beat me to it, asshole.

Laughing out loud

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

noafterlifenow
noafterlifenow's picture
User is offlineOffline
You are a man of my heart

You are a man of my heart hahahahahah! the half drunk and nicotine buzz part is awesome combine that with the fact that you do poetry for yourself makes you the true essence of a poet, like the opposite of an echo.

_0.0-
-@.@_
_^.^-
/*.*\
Sanity is not statistical ~Orwell~

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I liked the one about the

I liked the one about the women on the rug. I also liked the one about getting to a certain age and wondering where all the time went.

Titled For Your Displeasure, By Brian37

Luck is a fickled thing

It has good moods

And bad

We try to control the dice

As best we can

From our livings

To our loves

Yet death

Is our final friend

(END)

I titled that in honor of you because you reminded me of a guy who was not only snooty about poetry, but also hated untitled poetry. One day at a meeting we all decided, without telling him, that we would all write poems and not title them, and read them at the next meeting.

I love those two poems I mentioned because "luck" with relationships is just as much as a crap shoot in life, and sometimes we do get lucky, but there is always the other side of the coin.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I liked the

Brian37 wrote:

I liked the one about the women on the rug. I also liked the one about getting to a certain age and wondering where all the time went.

Titled For Your Displeasure, By Brian37

Luck is a fickled thing

It has good moods

And bad

We try to control the dice

As best we can

From our livings

To our loves

Yet death

Is our final friend

(END)

I titled that in honor of you because you reminded me of a guy who was not only snooty about poetry, but also hated untitled poetry. One day at a meeting we all decided, without telling him, that we would all write poems and not title them, and read them at the next meeting.

I love those two poems I mentioned because "luck" with relationships is just as much as a crap shoot in life, and sometimes we do get lucky, but there is always the other side of the coin.

thanks for the kind words and the insights.  i don't like titling poems because it was almost always something i did as an afterthought, out of a sense of duty.  it was totally artificial.  i went through a period in college, when i was reading a lot in coffeehouses and stuff, where i gave all my poems the title, "i ain't keepin' up with the train times, i'm just tryin' to make a few dimes."  it's a line from an old blues song by bukka white, and honestly it's probably the best title i ever came up with.

--Hunter S. Thompson