There should be a God

julio
atheist
julio's picture
Posts: 295
Joined: 2008-12-27
User is offlineOffline
There should be a God

There should be a God
Not anthropomorphic, no.
Not in the fashion of Allah or Jehovah; evil.
A real cosmic Friend.
Religion wouldn’t be necessary.
No atheism, either.
Heaven on Earth.
Would we ever be able to create one like that?


Deadly Fingergun
atheist
Deadly Fingergun's picture
Posts: 237
Joined: 2009-11-19
User is offlineOffline
eww.Why? Why oh why?

eww.

Why? Why oh why?


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Well, since every other god

Well, since every other god was created by people, I don't see a huge problem with your idea.  Have you considered being a Unitarian?  They can worship their own shoes if that suits them to do so.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
Posts: 628
Joined: 2008-02-29
User is offlineOffline
At least then we'd have

At least then we'd have someone to blame.


Deadly Fingergun
atheist
Deadly Fingergun's picture
Posts: 237
Joined: 2009-11-19
User is offlineOffline
Abu Lahab wrote:At least

Abu Lahab wrote:

At least then we'd have someone to blame.

I always blame my cat.

"Where's the steak I was saving for dinner tonight?" "Cat ate it."

Works just fine.

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3932
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
julio wrote:Would we ever be

julio wrote:
Would we ever be able to create one like that?

Everyone already had created their own god, it's their own convenience. God is just whatever is convenient.

I would like to create the god of one's own pleasure above all else.

 

 

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen


Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
Posts: 628
Joined: 2008-02-29
User is offlineOffline
Deadly Fingergun wrote:I

Deadly Fingergun wrote:

I always blame my cat.

 

Cats are a major source of evil in the world.

 

That's why I have three of the buggers.

 

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais


Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5134
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
No Julio. No god.

 

I would like to know the truth about what's going on but to be honest I doubt I would actually be able to understand it.

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Abu Lahab wrote:Deadly

Abu Lahab wrote:

Deadly Fingergun wrote:

I always blame my cat.

 

Cats are a major source of evil in the world.

 

That's why I have three of the buggers.

 

  I've got six cats that I've rescued from various places.  I think cats are interesting as hell, I admire all the little domestic cat breeds and even up to the quarter ton specimens that are big enough to kill a horse. I especially like jaguars, Bengal tigers, and clouded leopards.

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


Deadly Fingergun
atheist
Deadly Fingergun's picture
Posts: 237
Joined: 2009-11-19
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Abu

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Abu Lahab wrote:

Deadly Fingergun wrote:

I always blame my cat.

 

Cats are a major source of evil in the world.

 

That's why I have three of the buggers.

 

  I've got six cats that I've rescued from various places.  I think cats are interesting as hell, I admire all the little domestic cat breeds and even up to the quarter ton specimens that are big enough to kill a horse. I especially like jaguars, Bengal tigers, and clouded leopards.

Y'all only like cats 'cause they're really little furry gods. (My cat told me to say that.)


 

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!


Peppermint42
atheistSuperfan
Peppermint42's picture
Posts: 170
Joined: 2009-11-15
User is offlineOffline
I was a cat person until I

I was a cat person until I moved in with my boyfriend and his two cats that weigh 20 lbs each.  When they poop, we can smell the litter box from across the apartment. 

 

I don't disagree with you, julio.  If there were a God and if he cared about us at all then life would be great because he'd have made it that way.  But such as it is we just have to do what we can with what we have.  And that's kind of better anyway, really, because it's satisfying to know that what you make of life is truly yours and nobody else's. 

Does that make sense?


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
 I'm still waiting for

 I'm still waiting for someone to invent a God whose only commandment is "Pay no attention to me."  I would help spread that religion.

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5134
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Lol

Hambydammit wrote:

 I'm still waiting for someone to invent a God whose only commandment is "Pay no attention to me."  I would help spread that religion.

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Peppermint42
atheistSuperfan
Peppermint42's picture
Posts: 170
Joined: 2009-11-15
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I'm

Hambydammit wrote:

 I'm still waiting for someone to invent a God whose only commandment is "Pay no attention to me."  I would help spread that religion.

 

 

Anyone else watch the Venture Bros?  That just made me think of the episode where an alien comes to visit Dr. Venture and he's this giant dude wearing a cloak and some kind of flashy helmet and he spends the entire episode screaming "IGNOOOORE MEEEE!" to everyone.  Hahahaha I love that show.


Deadly Fingergun
atheist
Deadly Fingergun's picture
Posts: 237
Joined: 2009-11-19
User is offlineOffline
Gallowsbait wrote: I was a

Gallowsbait wrote:

I was a cat person until I moved in with my boyfriend and his two cats that weigh 20 lbs each.  When they poop, we can smell the litter box from across the apartment. 

That's a sign of poor nutrition, and possibly of a grain allergy.

Consider: Natura Pet Products

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!


Peppermint42
atheistSuperfan
Peppermint42's picture
Posts: 170
Joined: 2009-11-15
User is offlineOffline
I'll have to try that,

I'll have to try that, thanks!  I'm the one that does the pet food shopping anyway.  Jon just gets whatever's cheapest...


julio
atheist
julio's picture
Posts: 295
Joined: 2008-12-27
User is offlineOffline
Gallowsbait wrote: I was a

Gallowsbait wrote:

I was a cat person until I moved in with my boyfriend and his two cats that weigh 20 lbs each.  When they poop, we can smell the litter box from across the apartment. 

 

I don't disagree with you, julio.  If there were a God and if he cared about us at all then life would be great because he'd have made it that way.  But such as it is we just have to do what we can with what we have.  And that's kind of better anyway, really, because it's satisfying to know that what you make of life is truly yours and nobody else's. 

Does that make sense?

Sure, it makes sense. We're stuck in this deep rut of despondency against gods WHICH [sic] arrived here to molest us emotionally. There should be a Nice God, period. From the beginning, period!


Deadly Fingergun
atheist
Deadly Fingergun's picture
Posts: 237
Joined: 2009-11-19
User is offlineOffline
julio wrote:Sure, it makes

julio wrote:
Sure, it makes sense. We're stuck in this deep rut of despondency against gods WHICH [sic] arrived here to molest us emotionally. There should be a Nice God, period. From the beginning, period!
There were nice gods. Certain forms of Animism were basically "we're being taken care of" religions... even during hardship.

But nice gods don't cement power, and they sure don't do much for controlling behaviors. So, daddy and mommy gods showed up and eventually mutated into really nasty gods who liked to make you horny but would punish you if you had sex.

Screw gods. Let's just worship chocolate.

Oh, and cats. (My cat said to include him.)

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!


Peppermint42
atheistSuperfan
Peppermint42's picture
Posts: 170
Joined: 2009-11-15
User is offlineOffline
Your cat should grow fingers

Your cat should grow fingers and make his own account so he can post here for himself.  Eye-wink  I'd be more likely to worship him if he did.  You can tell him that.


latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
Posts: 2038
Joined: 2007-06-01
User is offlineOffline
Why should there be a god?

Why should there be a god? what god arrived here to molest us emotionally? I don't get what your talking about, as far as I can tell there are no gods at all.


julio
atheist
julio's picture
Posts: 295
Joined: 2008-12-27
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote: Why

latincanuck wrote:

Why should there be a god? what god arrived here to molest us emotionally? I don't get what your talking about, as far as I can tell there are no gods at all.

Sure. But only as far as you can tell, period. There were gods on Earth once. [As far as I can tell... ah!] They eventually gave up sorting us out; we were undomesticatable. Only a very nice one would help us domesticate ourselves. Period.


Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5134
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Crumbs, Julio

julio wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

Why should there be a god? what god arrived here to molest us emotionally? I don't get what your talking about, as far as I can tell there are no gods at all.

Sure. But only as far as you can tell, period. There were gods on Earth once. [As far as I can tell... ah!] They eventually gave up sorting us out; we were undomesticatable. Only a very nice one would help us domesticate ourselves. Period.

 

I hope you're not talking about those mastodon shinbones they find under the alters of greek temples - the bones that convinced the greeks 'titans' once lived on earth.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Deadly Fingergun
atheist
Deadly Fingergun's picture
Posts: 237
Joined: 2009-11-19
User is offlineOffline
Gallowsbait wrote:Your cat

Gallowsbait wrote:

Your cat should grow fingers and make his own account so he can post here for himself.  Eye-wink  I'd be more likely to worship him if he did.  You can tell him that.

He figures that having control over a human should be more impressive than being able to type. After all, gobs of people can type, but only a few have control over another.

I said that I thought being reliant on control over another was a bad idea, what if one day I chose not to feed him? He doesn't have the opposable thumb necessary to get into the canned food.

He said that he's just crap on my pillow and in my slippers.

He's such a punitive little furry god.

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!


latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
Posts: 2038
Joined: 2007-06-01
User is offlineOffline
what evidence do you have

what evidence do you have again julio?

[edit] or is this more from your everything is crap post and just want there to be gods to blame for all the crappiness you see?


Aristine
Aristine's picture
Posts: 13
Joined: 2009-12-14
User is offlineOffline
julio wrote:[Sure. But only

julio wrote:

[Sure. But only as far as you can tell, period. There were gods on Earth once. [As far as I can tell... ah!] They eventually gave up sorting us out; we were undomesticatable. Only a very nice one would help us domesticate ourselves. Period.


 


I don't know about this "There were gods on Earth once." Can you elaborate or show some references?

 

"I can resist anything, except temptation..."
~Wilde


julio
atheist
julio's picture
Posts: 295
Joined: 2008-12-27
User is offlineOffline

Aristine
Aristine's picture
Posts: 13
Joined: 2009-12-14
User is offlineOffline
Oh, that's from Genesis,

Oh, that's from Genesis, which is in the Bible. I don't take the Bible as fact so I disagree that there were gods or is god. Personal accountability still stands stronger than an outside force(for me). Bad things happen, yes, but good things happen too. And without the bad how would one know what is good. No need to blame it on an outside force or "god".

 

"I can resist anything, except temptation..."
~Wilde


Deadly Fingergun
atheist
Deadly Fingergun's picture
Posts: 237
Joined: 2009-11-19
User is offlineOffline
julio wrote:The Annunaki.

julio wrote:
The Annunaki. http://www.hiddencodes.com/annunaki.htm
My cat is laughing at that. (He told me to let everyone know.)

So be it, Jedi.

 

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13211
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Calling them Jedi just shows

Calling them Jedi just shows these people don't have a clue what a Jedi is. Since Star Wars uses simple English, and has not needed to be translated for these people, and they still got it wrong, I'm not about to believe that they have a grasp on a story NOT written in English, and for which an untranslated copy does not exist.

As for cats, like they'd care enough to bother. They want to play, hunt, eat, and be loved. As long as those rules are followed, we can do what we like. Break those rules, and you're in big trouble.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


julio
atheist
julio's picture
Posts: 295
Joined: 2008-12-27
User is offlineOffline
Aristine wrote:Oh, that's

Aristine wrote:

Oh, that's from Genesis, which is in the Bible. I don't take the Bible as fact so I disagree that there were gods or is god. Personal accountability still stands stronger than an outside force(for me). Bad things happen, yes, but good things happen too. And without the bad how would one know what is good. No need to blame it on an outside force or "god".

 

There are "Forces".

OK, the Annunaki were here, according to Sitchin, but they only messed up things.

I wish there should be a Nice God, only bringing Good.

Had that been the policy FROM THE BEGINNING, everybody would be forever happy.

Heaven on Earth.

We were betrayed by uninvited gods, including the cruel Annunaki.

 


latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
Posts: 2038
Joined: 2007-06-01
User is offlineOffline
again, what is the evidence,

again, what is the evidence, because if your using the bible, which has already been shown flawed, either your pulling our legs or your evidence is worth crap.


julio
atheist
julio's picture
Posts: 295
Joined: 2008-12-27
User is offlineOffline
You know and I know that

You know and I know that there is no evidence for anything in the religious, unless evidence is not necessary.


Rationale
Posts: 12
Joined: 2009-08-04
User is offlineOffline
Even the christians admit

Even the christians admit the world "should" be different and there "should" be heaven on earth. Which implies we're living in a pretty shoddy mess created by their God.

 

Of course we don't live in a universe where "should" is a force except in our heads.


FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
Posts: 1253
Joined: 2007-06-02
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Calling them

Vastet wrote:
Calling them Jedi just shows these people don't have a clue what a Jedi is. Since Star Wars uses simple English, and has not needed to be translated for these people, and they still got it wrong, I'm not about to believe that they have a grasp on a story NOT written in English, and for which an untranslated copy does not exist.

Hey, if they'd included some punctuation in there I'd have had an easier time reading it.  What, you don't read Hebrew?!?

Vastet wrote:
As for cats, like they'd care enough to bother. They want to play, hunt, eat, and be loved. As long as those rules are followed, we can do what we like. Break those rules, and you're in big trouble.

V'imru amein.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."