On Morality

Fortunate_Son
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
On Morality

The problem of morality can be synopsized in the following question; In what way does moral goodness and moral evil manifest in actions?

In answering the question, it is perhaps more important to understand just what moral goodness and evil is.  Loosely defined, "Moral goodness" is that which renders praiseworthiness for one's volition and "moral evil" is that which renders blameworthiness for one's volition.  Yet such definitions are unsatisfactory insofar that it only points to an unknown THAT which renders praiseworthiness and blameworthiness for our individual choices.  Plus, one may choose to focus on certain ambiguities bound up with "praiseworthiness" since, for example, we would praise a football coach who made good play decision though we would be hard pressed to say that what he did was morally correct.  There thus may not be any clear definition of the aforementioned terms.

Yet we experience this every day.  If a child steals another child's crayons, we typically explain to the child that his actions were bad.  If a man drives his car all over someone else's lawn, we reprimand him for ruining another person's property.  It's something so common to the everyday status quo, and yet so many people have a difficult time accounting for it.  What is this mysterious thing in our actions that we deem good or evil?

No scientist has ever discovered moral goodness in a laboratory.  No archaeologist has ever found moral evil under a rock.  We have yet to develop moral goodness transplant surgery.  More importantly, we have not observed them physically emerging in the course of physical events.  For example, when a small child steals another child's crayons, we do not see moral evil emerge as the child's brain engages in electrical activity which moves his muscles into applying force to the other child's crayons.  The reason is that moral goodness and evil are not physical entities and are not contained in physical entities.   

Let's assume that a woman is beaten so badly by her child that she is put in the hospital.  The actions themselves manifest as physical events, such as neurological activity, muscle moves, motion, and the like.  These physical events give way to further physical events in the woman, such as C fiber excitation, skin cell removal, internal bleeding, etc.  Yet nowhere do we sense the emergence of moral evil. 

Moral goodness and moral evil are not manifest in physical events.  We do not say that it is immoral for the wind to knock over a tree.  We do not say that it is morally evil for our skin to wrinkle up or for our hair to become grey. 

Moral goodness and evil are manifest in our human spirits.  Beyond our physical existence is the existence of our irreducible selves.  The woman in the hospital is physically hurt.  But more fundamentally, she is spiritually hurt.  This goes far beyond the physical pain that was caused.  She is emotionally scarred over the fact that she was attacked by her own son.  The physical aspect is almost irrelevant.  The physical events were merely a manifestation of a negative interaction between spirits.  Moral goodness and evil is predicated to the activity of our spirits.  We cannot see it, hear it, touch it, taste it, or smell it.  But we experience it.

So, we have explained how moral goodness and evil is manifest in actions.  They are predicates of our spiritual existence and hurt us spiritually, and not physically.  When you do actions that are classified as evil, the evil is not manifest in the physical events.  The evil is manifest in our immaterial selves which are somehow able to exercise control of our bodies.  Thus, they are not manifest in the actions at all.  They are manifest in us while we perform the actions.  To say that it is wrong to murder is not to say that it is wrong to move the brain activity in such a way that you instantiate muscle movements which lead to the carving of material flesh.  To say that murder is wrong is to say that there is evil manifest in your spirit while you perform this particular act.

Now the fundamental question is, where do moral goodness and moral evil come from?  They do not come from anything physical, since they exist in the states of our spirits.  But moreover, they cannot come from us, as we cannot determine the nature of our own spirits.  We cannot decide, for example, that beating up a parent is concomitant with positive interaction between spirits.  Moral goodness comes from outside of ourselves, such that it can be predicated of our spirits.  Moral goodness also transcends our finite existence.  Even if mankind never existed, there would be the possible universe where the aforementioned state of affairs could occur which presupposes the existence of moral goodness as a predicate.

Moral goodness thus has to exist in an infinite being.  It is a property of spirits and must exist in a spirit.  But it must exist in an eternal and holy spirit.  When we do good deeds, we thus say that we are an image of God.

But then what is the ontological nature of moral evil?  Moral evil is merely the privation of moral goodness, thus the privation of God's nature in humanity.  God is a perfect being, which logically necessitates that anything which is not God must be imperfect.

Indeterminate
User is offlineOffline
 Was there a question, or

Was there a question, or can I just anticipate it all like this:

Anticipated Critique by Moral Relativist wrote:
Good and evil are social constructs with no existence outside peoples heads. Deities have nothing to do with it. Your whole essay begs the question/affirms the consequent/appeals to verbosity/commits various other fallacies and rhetorical no-no's.

Anticipated Response to Criticism wrote:
Good and evil exist because god exists and he said so, and I can't imagine it's possible for people to be good without fearing for their immortal souls.

God: "Thou Must Go from This Place Lest I Visit Thee with Boils!"
Man: "Really? Most people would bring a bottle of wine"

Indeterminate
User is offlineOffline
 Was there a question, or

Oops, double post Smiling

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Indeterminate wrote:Oops,

Indeterminate wrote:

Oops, double post

Maybe that was a Freudian slip; in anticipation of a theme that will replicate itself over and over ad nauseam.

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com

Indeterminate
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:Indeterminate

Marquis wrote:

Indeterminate wrote:

Oops, double post

Maybe that was a Freudian slip; in anticipation of a theme that will replicate itself over and over ad nauseam.

Even computers can guess what's coming...

God: "Thou Must Go from This Place Lest I Visit Thee with Boils!"
Man: "Really? Most people would bring a bottle of wine"

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Groundhog moment

Indeterminate wrote:

Was there a question, or can I just anticipate it all like this:

Anticipated Critique by Moral Relativist wrote:
Good and evil are social constructs with no existence outside peoples heads. Deities have nothing to do with it. Your whole essay begs the question/affirms the consequent/appeals to verbosity/commits various other fallacies and rhetorical no-no's.

Anticipated Response to Criticism wrote:
Good and evil exist because god exists and he said so, and I can't imagine it's possible for people to be good without fearing for their immortal souls.

+1 on Indeterminate's post.

I think it also bears mention that the reason I am instinctively and effortlessly more generous and sharing than my theist brothers is not that am I a nicer person or even, and quite rationally, that I am a middle child who's first name is rapprochement. No, it is jesus, that great puppeteer, pulling at my heart strings. As a sinner I have no morals at all, am evil, and deserve to die. Happily jesus can use me to do his will in the brief course of my pointless existence.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck