Science approaches consciousness.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Science approaches consciousness.

Humans wonder, anybody home?
By Susan Gaidos December 19th, 2009; Vol.176 #13 (p. 22)

Brain structure and circuitry offer clues to consciousness in nonmammals

One afternoon while participating in studies in a University of Oxford lab, Abel snatched a hook away from Betty, leaving her without a tool to complete a task. Spying a piece of straight wire nearby, she picked it up, bent one end into a hook and used it to finish the job. Nothing about this story was remarkable, except for the fact that Betty was a New Caledonian crow.Betty isn’t the only crow with such conceptual ingenuity. Nor are crows the only members of the animal kingdom to exhibit similar mental powers. Animals can do all sorts of clever things: Studies of chimpanzees, gorillas, dolphins and birds have found that some can add, subtract, create sentences, plan ahead or deceive others.

Full article here.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

...So it is from 8 days in the future?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apparently. > > Probably an

Apparently. > >

Probably an article due for publication in their magazine that day.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

See, this is what happens when the LHC is operational.

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Huh. Well...

...so much for the Roman Catholic teaching that "animals don't have rational souls."  Not only do souls not exist in the first place, but animals now seem to be fairly rational.  I wonder how far this animal rationality extends?

Conor

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah

But it's very hard to convince the godly that animals have any feelings or sense of self at all. It's an important direction, this research. I can't wait for us to have no soul and hopefully that whole theory of mind theists love so much can be parked off the street, too.

On the other hand I'd be a bit uncomfortable to find that cows and pigs and other tasty creatures have been shitting bricks waiting for their demise all this time. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:

"On the other hand I'd be a bit uncomfortable to find that cows and pigs and other tasty creatures have been shitting bricks waiting for their demise all this time. "

Me: You just had to go and say that, didn't you? 

Conor

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sorry mate

Conor Wilson wrote:

"On the other hand I'd be a bit uncomfortable to find that cows and pigs and other tasty creatures have been shitting bricks waiting for their demise all this time. "

Me: You just had to go and say that, didn't you? 

Conor

Pass me the bean dip...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't say it would bother

I can't say it would bother me any. I'll be consumed myself one day, it is the way of things. Now pass the mustard. Sticking out tongue

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist and Vastet...

...you have no idea how glad I am that you guys are around to help me keep a balanced perspective on things.

Conor

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:On

Atheistextremist wrote:

On the other hand I'd be a bit uncomfortable to find that cows and pigs and other tasty creatures have been shitting bricks waiting for their demise all this time.

You, Animalist, you.

Plants and trees also have feelings.  And I bet all you do is cut them up and eat them or turn them into furniture.

Paisley is one of my favorite patterns.  I love to tell people that paisley fabric is made by thinly slicing little paisley animals and then running them through a press to make them big enough to turn into clothes.  I figure if wool can be made from little baby lambs that paisley can be made from tiny little paisley animals.  The poor dears.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

You, Animalist, you.

Plants and trees also have feelings.  And I bet all you do is cut them up and eat them or turn them into furniture.

Paisley is one of my favorite patterns.  I love to tell people that paisley fabric is made by thinly slicing little paisley animals and then running them through a press to make them big enough to turn into clothes.  I figure if wool can be made from little baby lambs that paisley can be made from tiny little paisley animals.  The poor dears.

Name a plant with a nervous system as developed as a pig's or a cow's.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:You,

FurryCatHerder wrote:
You, Animalist, you.

Why yes, I am.

FurryCatHerder wrote:
Plants and trees also have feelings. And I bet all you do is cut them up and eat them or turn them into furniture.

If I ever decide to become a vegetarian, it will be because I hate plants, not because I love animals.

FurryCatHerder wrote:
Paisley is one of my favorite patterns. I love to tell people that paisley fabric is made by thinly slicing little paisley animals and then running them through a press to make them big enough to turn into clothes. I figure if wool can be made from little baby lambs that paisley can be made from tiny little paisley animals. The poor dears.

Personally, I remember back in the 70's when Naugahyde furniture was all the rage. Do you have any idea how many Nauga's have to die just to make one couch? Do you?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:Paisley

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Either i have to go find out wtf paisley means, or Furry is advocating cutting Paisley into peices... for now, i shall go with the latter

What Would Kharn Do?

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Mmmmmm

The Doomed Soul wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Either i have to go find out wtf paisley means, or Furry is advocating cutting Paisley into peices... for now, i shall go with the latter

But would she disagree with Paisley, that's the trouble. As a pantheist Pais is closer to Furry than we are. Paisley doesn't believe in hell apparently, but instead has some belief he hasn't outlined to me in any detail that depends on his own sprawling definitions of faith and spirituality. It's funny, given we usually get on-ish with pantheists, that Paisley is such hard work with his accusations of dishonesty 'cause we think the spirit world is made up yet have faith our cars will start - a juxtaposition that Paisley claims proves his every word and underscores the veracity of a belief system he's not eager to reveal completely.