Addicted to Abrahamic theists

Darinda
User is offlineOffline
Addicted to Abrahamic theists

Hello all,

I was born in a very secular family and religion was the last thing that was ever discussed. Discovered myself to be an atheist just a few years back after reading the batshit crazy comments from theists, and I am now addicted to atheist forums, nothing entertains me more than the theist comments defending the indefensible. I joined a couple of days ago and started reading the forums and saw that I already know quite a few members from there like HBA and few others from AF.com, anyways I do not consider myself to be an authority on theology, so I won't be posting much ( I will read though), but I will as usual never lose an opportunity to ruffle some fundie feathers whenever the opportunity arises, hopefully that is not against the forum rules.

Regards,

D

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
You'll need to ask

Brian37 about ruffling fundie feathers. It seems there are plenty to go around.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Darinda wrote:but I will as

Darinda wrote:
but I will as usual never lose an opportunity to ruffle some fundie feathers whenever the opportunity arises, hopefully that is not against the forum rules.

Welcome! Lol, that's like saying I hope eating is allowed at an all you can eat buffet. What are fundie feathers for except ruffling..

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Darinda
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the welcome.

Thanks for the welcome.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! Have fun.

Welcome! Have fun.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! There's often one

Welcome! There's often one or two fundies to be found here. So far none of them have stuck it all the way through. Usually they eventually realise that they simply aren't qualified to argue with us, and they take off. But there always seems to be another right around the corner.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Darinda
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Welcome!

Vastet wrote:
Welcome! There's often one or two fundies to be found here. So far none of them have stuck it all the way through. Usually they eventually realise that they simply aren't qualified to argue with us, and they take off. But there always seems to be another right around the corner.

Exactly, just when you think you  have heard it all, someone from somewhere always comes up with something you  never heard of, to give you more lulz.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Welcome. I know HBA too.

Welcome. I know HBA too. Great guy, love his southern accent along with the skepticism. Talk about a mix.

Welcome.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Not so far as I can tell.  Where are these fundies of which you speak? 

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Not so far as I can tell.  Where are these fundies of which you speak? 

It's time you got acquainted with eXnihilo over on the Logic thread - that's if you haven't already.

It ebbs and flows - maybe Badway will come back?

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  I tried to arrange a

I tried to arrange a meeting between eX and FCH but the whole thing just kind of fizzled out....

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Yes - I can see the attraction

I think it would be a beautiful thing to turn FurryCat loose on some one like eXni whose position is that the bible is true because it says so in the bible, the inviolate word of god.

Trouble is lots of the bible belongs to the jewish people and it would please me to watch furry unload on the thieves of her nation's holy word. Especially pleasing to me, as the child of a rabid evangelical

minister and a painful fundy upbringing, is going to be when she gets into those claimed prophecies all allegedly born out in the NT that were stolen from the OT. I think your fundy would run for the hills.

I guess we know we going to have to fight with FurryCat some day. I know she gets pleasure from beating on the christians but she clearly has a strong relationship with the jewish god - whoever and

whatever that dude is. What is the real anchor of her faith, I wonder?  The challenge in an argument will be the flexibility of furry's position. She's going to much more capable of defending her malleable

space than our typical fundy puppets who I often think we talk to just because there's nothing better to do.  Some of the debates descend into almost immediate madness. A case in point being the universal fundy

claim that personal experience is the legitimate bedrock of logic-based faith. What do you say to that?

Anyway, the 3 good things about furry as I see it include a knowledge of core jewish stuff most of us don't know a lot about and should, her passionate temper and the ability to admit when she's wrong.

It's a rare combination in a theist.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dude.You're not a Jew. 

Dude.

You're not a Jew.  Your only obligation on this planet is to be a decent, honest human being and not run off and become a polytheist.  Do that and G-d will gladly let you hang out in Heaven.  Assuming Heaven exists.  Because the Torah doesn't say anything about "Heaven" existing.  Or "Hell".

Judaism is a RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW kind of religion.

Rabbi Hillel was challenged by a pagan that if Hillel could teach the guy the entire Torah while he stood on one foot, the man would convert to Judaism.  Hillel's response was "Do not do to your fellow what is distasteful to you.  All the rest is commentary.  Go and study."

That's it!

We could get into some more esoteric beliefs, but the basics of treating people with dignity and respect -- very Jewish.  The rest -- all the great food, songs, holidays, well, you'd have to join the Tribe to get them.  That or hang out with Jews.  But once you start hanging out with Jews, before you know it, you'll wind up converting.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:  I

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I tried to arrange a meeting between eX and FCH but the whole thing just kind of fizzled out....

Vastet and I were having a lover's quarrel and I think eX got bored.

But I'll go track him down.  I have a thing for arguing with polytheists ...

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Would that be ethnic Jew or

Would that be ethnic Jew or religious Jews?

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Would

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Would that be ethnic Jew or religious Jews?

Religious.  Why not.  They should get to have fun, too.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:Judaism

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Judaism is a RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW kind of religion.

then why the hell you quoting dead rabbis?  if you all are so hip, you should be quoting leonard cohen.  or bob dylan.  or half of lenny kravitz (i assume the jewish half is not the half that writes his songs, because they REEK).  or (shudder) sarah silverman.

or at least my personal favorite, chuck e. weiss.  even a goy like me loves crankin' up "rockin' in the kibbitz room."

OH, and of course there's mort goldman from family guy!  "oh, they're awful, those nazis!  if they find out who i am, they'll beat me unmerciful, and rub dirt in my assneck and all over my assy nipples!"  see, that's much more interesting than a dusty old piece of haggadah.

FurryCatHerder wrote:

The rest -- all the great food, songs, holidays, well, you'd have to join the Tribe to get them.

not really.  i've eaten jewish food.  hell, from my experience, jewish food isn't that different from typical central european food, the stuff i eat everyday here in slovakia.  except of course the slovaks use pork.  yeah, i'm not givin' up my pork, so never mind....

FurryCatHerder wrote:

But once you start hanging out with Jews, before you know it, you'll wind up converting.

but a tour guide in the old prague ghetto once told me i couldn't.  and then back on the street i'm pretty sure a pale, skinny hasidic kid with a patchy beard told me something along the lines of "fuck off" in yiddish.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Vastet and I were having a lover's quarrel and I think eX got bored.

But I'll go track him down.  I have a thing for arguing with polytheists ...

Me too. > >

I'm kind of surprised he dodged out so fast there. He's been pretty consistent with responding to posts until yours. It's almost like he figures his one post refutes everything you can or will say. Hopefully not. That would be rather boring.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.