OK...Here Goes...

airmech
airmech's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK...Here Goes...

I'll start out by apologizing for my lack of (or complete absence of) computer and keyboard skills. This, more than anything has stopped me from doing anything like this before. I can't type, and think, at least not with any sort of speed or accuracy, so I plan on doing more reading than posting. I enjoy seeing that many people have the same views as myself, and look forward to all that I might learn. I have been an atheist pretty much all my life. Even though I was raised in a catholic family, I could never quite accept this "god" thing who seemed to be a complete screw up on a good day. And the "good days" were few and far between. And so, a little about myself: My hobbies are bicycling ( a lot) and building and paddling kayaks (a lot) and a little wood working and hiking. I like to read, mostly history and science and science fiction. (Issac Asimov and Anne McCaffery)  If these ramblings make no sense at all, it's because I've been listening to Geddy Lee's "My Favorite Headache" and Porcupine Trees "Fear of a Blank Planet" at extremely high volume for a long time. (attention NoDiety; My favorite rock and roll group is also RUSH)

If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy. Marquis de Lafayette.

Deadly Fingergun
atheist
Deadly Fingergun's picture
User is offlineOffline
If keyboard skills were a

If keyboard skills were a requirement the Internet would be a very quiet place. Sticking out tongue

So: Welcome, heathen!

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi there Airmech

Nice to meet you. We share a surprising number of hobbies. 

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome.I think you'll find

Welcome.

I think you'll find that we have the best of every world here: People that make one feel stupid, People that make one feel superior, People that just generally make one feel good about life, and people that wouldn't fit in if the place was molded around them.

Typically, we try to keep them all because it is almost a civic duty to keep them occupied here rather than floating about unchecked in the internets all willy-nilly.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Peppermint42
atheistSuperfan
Peppermint42's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi there!  You shouldn't

Hi there!  You shouldn't worry about your typing.  Most people these days have completely forgotten how to punctuate, nevermind spelling, diction, syntax...

Anyway I'm new here too but I hope you enjoy it as much as I have so far.  Smiling

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

I was always a slow typer myself. Practice will make you faster!!!

So comment away Smiling

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Airmech! Welcome ~ have

Hi Airmech! Welcome ~ have fun  Smiling

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well hello airmech. Welcome

Well hello airmech. Welcome to the forums.

Your keyboarding skills seem fine to me. Using the enter key a bit more often might help to keep stuff organized but whatever.

Even so, let me introduce myself.

I am employed as a psychiatric social worker. Basically, I fix broken people.

Past that, I am an active musician playing bass and synth. I come from a family with a standard that if you are tall enough to stand in front of the stove you are old enough to start learning hos to cook, so I have twice as much experience as anyone you may see on the food channel.

You mentioned biking. I used to be an extreme mountain biker. The operative is that I used to be. Today, I have so many permanent injuries that I am fully sidelined. I can still do the Huffy toss but I cant really do single track anymore.

Today, I have moved on from stuff that I can't do anymore and I am an amateur astronomer.

As far as my atheism, I go to the Dawkins level 7. The concept of god is bullshit and fully void.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

airmech
airmech's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks

Thanks to all for the welcome.

Sorry to hear about your biking injuries. I've always ridden on the road and have done very little mountain biking.

I would think that astronomy is a lot of fun. I just finished the National Geographic article "Are We Alone?" Over 370 exoplanets and rising. How long before we find one with life? (even in our own solar system) I wonder what religions reaction to that little bit of news will be?

If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy. Marquis de Lafayette.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome,  airmech.I too

Welcome,  airmech.

I too like biking. My current machine is nominally an ATB, with full suspension, road-suitable tires, and hydraulic disk brakes.

I do ride mainly on the road, but like to be able to follow a forest track or cross a field when I want to.

I'm into photography, and have a fancy backpack which can hold all my photo gear and allows me to swing it around in front of me without having to take it off, so I can stop and quickly grab photos of interesting things and views I see on my ride.

I also have done a bit of kayaking, altho not so much recently.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology