Teen wanted to know what murder "feels like"

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Teen wanted to know what murder "feels like"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34016501/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

Quote:

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - Blessed with a Friday off school, 15-year-old Alyssa Bustamante dug two holes in the ground to be used as a grave, authorities said. For the next week, she attended classes, all the while plotting the right time for a murder, they said.

That time arrived the evening of Oct. 21, when Bustamante strangled 9-year-old neighbor Elizabeth Olten without provocation, cut the girl's throat and stabbed her, prosecutors said.

Why?

"Ultimately, she stated she wanted to know what it felt like," Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. David Rice testified Wednesday during a court hearing over the slaying.

Rice, who interviewed Bustamante in the days after Elizabeth's disappearance, said she confessed to investigators and led them to the fourth-grader's well-concealed body in a wooded area near their neighborhood in St. Martins, a small town west of Jefferson City.

A Cole County judge ruled Wednesday that Bustamante, who has been held in Missouri's juvenile justice system, should be tried as an adult. Hours later, the teen was indicted on adult charges of first-degree murder and armed criminal action for allegedly using a knife to kill Elizabeth. A judge later entered a not guilty plea on Bustamante's behalf and referred her to the public defender's office.

Could face life in prison
The court proceedings marked the first time that the suspect in Elizabeth's death had been publicly identified since a two-day search for the girl by hundreds of volunteers. When they found Elizabeth's body Oct. 23, authorities only said that a 15-year-old had led them to it and was in custody for the slaying.

Bustamante remained largely expressionless as she sat with her hands shackled around her waist in court Wednesday. She occasionally looked down beneath the brown bangs that covered her eyes and swallowed hard as a judge read the charges against her.

On one side of the courtroom sat her mother and grandmother, who has been Bustamante's legal guardian for about half of her life. On the other side sat Elizabeth's mother, relatives and friends, several of whom wore pink — Elizabeth's favorite color.

Bustamante was ordered held without bond pending her trial. If convicted of first-degree murder, she would be sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Suicide attempt
Witnesses at Bustamante's adult certification hearing described a girl who was bright yet depressed and clever in a sometimes sneaky sort of way. She ranked in roughly the top third of her class at Jefferson City High School, the principal said, and had been in no trouble at school or with the law.

Yet Bustamante had tried to commit suicide at age 13 and had been receiving mental health treatment for depression and cutting herself, said David Cook, the chief juvenile officer in Cole County. Once, she led her family to believe she was attending a local church event when she instead sneaked off to a concert in St. Louis, about two hours away, Cook said. On one or two other occasions, Bustamante spent the night in the woods without permission, he said.

After her arrest, Bustamante tried to cut herself with her own fingernails while being held in juvenile custody, said her appointed juvenile defense attorney Kurt Valentine.He argued Bustamante should remain in the juvenile system, where she could potentially be rehabilitated before being set free by age 21. Valentine warned that Bustamante would either kill herself or be assaulted and killed by others if she were placed in an adult jail cell or prison.

"We are throwing away the child and we are signing a death sentence for Alyssa," Valentine said. "She is not going to survive her time in the Cole County jail."

Cole County Sheriff Greg White said later that Bustamante would be held at a different, undisclosed location.

Cook recommended Bustamante be tried as an adult. Cole County Circuit Judge Jon Beetem agreed, saying the killing was vicious and that the state had no adequate facilities or services to treat Bustamante if she remained in the juvenile system.

Bill Heberle, with the Missouri Division of Youth Services, testified that the state has no secure facilities with fences for female juveniles. Youths in Missouri's juvenile system generally are housed in group settings and are not typically watched by staff 24 hours a day, he said.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Doesn't everyone have thoughts like this?

The girl just obviously lacked the inhibition to not do it.

I find it interesting she is honest about the reason why though. That is highly unusual.

I mean, it is hard for me to look at something random I've never done and not wonder what it would feel like. Whenever I go climbing I always wonder what it would feel like to jump off the cliff. Not really thinking about dieing, but the point of falling with no restrictions. Well, until hitting the ground. The consequences are why you don't do these things that you think though.

I'll probably go skydiving later on to clear that up for myself. Laughing out loud

The same is true when I'm driving on a bridge, or anything else. I'm like, "I wonder what it would be like to pull the steering wheel hard right and go plunging over the edge."

These thoughts are not born out of an intention to the consequences, but isolated from them. I wouldn't do it BECAUSE of those consequences, but it doesn't keep me from thinking about it.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Capt_pineapple wrote:because she want's to know what murder....

feels like-----Bullshit ,she was just a crazy-wacked kid whose compass is broken.She should have killed herself if she wanted to know what murder feels like .    

Signature ? How ?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
    She deserves a long,

She deserves a long, long, long, stay in some dreadfully brutal Russian prison. All her curiosities regarding the darker side of human nature will be answered there.....      No mercy for this teenaged cunt.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kid is obviously fucked up.

Kid is obviously fucked up. The US has no psychiatric facilities my ass. There's 11 psychiatric hospitals within a 60 km radius of my towns population of 30k. Yet another American goes to jail, to get taught absolutely nothing, for being an American.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Firstly... she should not be

Firstly... she should not be tried as an adult after all she is not an adult. Secondly 15 is to young to give a life sentence to.. unless it is one of those life sentences where you know you get released...which makes no sense. No doubt she is a little off upstairs but I don't believe in putting minors in jail no matter the crime... thats not to say she should get a free pass though.

I hate to agree with Vastet on anything to do with jails but i must agree with him here

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote: Doesn't

ClockCat wrote:
No.  At least, not in the way this girl probably did.  Idle speculation is one thing.

Quote:
Actually doing is another and goes further than idle speculation.  She didn't imagine what it would be like.  She didn't end up having to.  Based on nothing else we might not be surprised when we find out that the girl is a sociopath.

Quote:
I find it interesting she is honest about the reason why though. That is highly unusual.
Unless she's a sociopath.

I don't think the girl is guilty of just not having the inhibition and rather acted on what would otherwise be an innocent speculation; no, she's not sane.  Sane people don't strangle, stab and cut the throats of nine year old neighbours because they're curious of what it's like to kill another person.  Sane people probably go and read American Psycho if they have those thoughts at all.  That is to say, sane people don't kill others out of curiosity.

She's tried to kill herself, seems to be at risk of trying again and killed another person.  If there's any hope for her it will be found through thorough psychological assessment.  She may have to be locked up indefinitely, but that can't happen if she's tried as a child.  Being tried as an adult, while it may increase her sentence, opens up other avenues of prosecution and sentencing that can't be handed down to kids.  It would be unfortunate if she wound up in any sort of prison system except for an institution for the mentally ill.  She may well.  It's all ...unfortunate.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

Thomathy wrote:

ClockCat wrote:
No.  At least, not in the way this girl probably did.  Idle speculation is one thing.

Quote:
Actually doing is another and goes further than idle speculation.  She didn't imagine what it would be like.  She didn't end up having to.  Based on nothing else we might not be surprised when we find out that the girl is a sociopath.

Quote:
Unless she's a sociopath.

I don't think the girl is guilty of just not having the inhibition and rather acted on what would otherwise be an innocent speculation; no, she's not sane.  Sane people don't strangle, stab and cut the throats of nine year old neighbours because they're curious of what it's like to kill another person.  Sane people probably go and read American Psycho if they have those thoughts at all.  That is to say, sane people don't kill others out of curiosity.

She's tried to kill herself, seems to be at risk of trying again and killed another person.  If there's any hope for her it will be found through thorough psychological assessment.  She may have to be locked up indefinitely, but that can't happen if she's tried as a child.  Being tried as an adult, while it may increase her sentence, opens up other avenues of prosecution and sentencing that can't be handed down to kids.  It would be unfortunate if she wound up in any sort of prison system except for an institution for the mentally ill.  She may well.  It's all ...unfortunate.

I agree with this.

I also think she needs psychiatric help.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I didn't think you didn't,

I didn't think you didn't, it just sounded like you thought her behaviour was normal.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

Thomathy wrote:

I didn't think you didn't, it just sounded like you thought her behaviour was normal.

Not behavior, but what she admitted to as her reasoning.

Everyone "wonders what it would feel like" about things I believe. It doesn't mean they go and do it though.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Umm ...I don't think the

Umm ...I don't think the kind of wondering that she did was normal.  I've never wondered it, for the record.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote: Everyone

ClockCat wrote:

Everyone "wonders what it would feel like" about things I believe. It doesn't mean they go and do it though.

Kind of like being murder-curious instead of bi-curious ?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

Kind of like being murder-curious instead of bi-curious ?

Very few would admit to it, but I believe everyone is to a degree  curious about ANYTHING they haven't done.

That includes murder, yes.

It doesn't mean that curiosity is enough to build to a desire though. Or if they had a desire that it would overcome inhibitions knowing the consequences of that.

I'll readily admit I'm curious to some degree about everything. If it is without harm to anyone that I can see I usually will try it once, as consequences will be minimal and the benefits of experiencing something new outweighs them.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:   Very

ClockCat wrote:

Very few would admit to it, but I believe everyone is to a degree  curious about ANYTHING they haven't done.

That includes murder, yes.  

Ummm, you're kinda scaring me CC.

ClockCat wrote:

I'll readily admit I'm curious to some degree about everything. If it is without harm to anyone that I can see I usually will try it once, as consequences will be minimal and the benefits of experiencing something new outweighs them.

Have you ever dropped acid ?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Not yet, no. 

Why am I scaring you? Sticking out tongue

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Not yet,

ClockCat wrote:

Not yet, no. 

Why am I scaring you? Sticking out tongue

Acid? or murdering some one?

What Would Kharn Do?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
  Send her here.

Send her here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9ipVo10mf0 

Rehabilitation ?  Ha ha ha  ....Nyet !

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have never had sex with a

I have never had sex with a horse and tbh im not curious as to what that would be like. I guess some people are curious about things other people are not curious about. I see no problem in wondering what something would be like even if that something is murder... as long as you don't try it out.

All animals are equal.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Tapey wrote:

I have never had sex with a horse and tbh im not curious as to what that would be like. I guess some people are curious about things other people are not curious about. I see no problem in wondering what something would be like even if that something is murder... as long as you don't try it out.

I never said you had to have a desire for it to be curious.

I'm curious about a lot of things that frankly disgust me. I think everyone has some degree of curiosity about everything, even if they don't admit to it.

That is what I am saying. Don't read too deep into it :3 

Sometimes a little bit of desire does too. I can't count the number of times I thought about choking the child/parents of some family that sat down next to me in the restaurant and let their kids run around throwing things at other customers, screaming, and ignore them like it's not their problem.

That desire never overcomes the consequences, but still. I've thought it. :3  Usually paired along with thoughts about wishing they were sterile, so they couldn't breed more. I blame them for the encroaching idiocracy.

Idiocracy - Opening Sequence - Video - Watch more Videos at Vodpod.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Umm ...I

Thomathy wrote:

Umm ...I don't think the kind of wondering that she did was normal.  I've never wondered it, for the record.

I have. I've wondered about a lot of things. I just satisfy my curiosity with imagination and video games. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I agree with Clock, everyone

I agree with Clock, everyone wonders about 'sick and depraved' things, most of us just have a functioning sense of empathy and culturally defined morality.

Obviously she lacks the usual mental bits that discourage behavior like this.  I doubt she has much empathy for humans...I doubt she would be much of a mystery to a shrink, it seems like some sort of antisocial personality disorer.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Tapey wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

Tapey wrote:

I never said you had to have a desire for it to be curious.

I'm curious about a lot of things that frankly disgust me. I think everyone has some degree of curiosity about everything, even if they don't admit to it.

That is what I am saying. Don't read too deep into it :3 

Sometimes a little bit of desire does too. I can't count the number of times I thought about choking the child/parents of some family that sat down next to me in the restaurant and let their kids run around throwing things at other customers, screaming, and ignore them like it's not their problem.

That desire never overcomes the consequences, but still. I've thought it. :3  Usually paired along with thoughts about wishing they were sterile, so they couldn't breed more. I blame them for the encroaching idiocracy.

hehe I agree btw.

All animals are equal.