I R Here

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline
I R Here

Howdy to everybody, I've admired the work of the RRS, and decided to come in and look around.

I'm a long time hard atheist and have been on the internet since there was an internet, mostly. I always use either Herk or Herkv as a nym so I may seem familiar. But then, there are lots of Herks out there.

I was raised Catholic and did all the parochial schools and altar boy and all that drivel, but it didn't take. I spent a few years after high school being agnostic and not caring, then was a Baha'i for about 14 years. One day, I was reading a book by Julian Jaynes and he mentioned that wouldn't it be nice if there was a god, but of course there isn't. I realized that he was right.

Now, as I enter my dotage, I enjoy hammering on fundies and I frequent a few non-believer forums.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard, you can haz

Welcome aboard, you can haz cheeseburger now.

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
welcome

welcome

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Herk!!  

Welcome Herk!!

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Herk

Welcome on board Herk,  you seem to be more my age then anyone else around here.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome 'Herk', or as we

Welcome 'Herk', or as we all really know you....

Super Mario!

Aha! I *knew* you were real!

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greetings

Howdy

Herk (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the

Thanks for the welcomes.

Too early for cheezburgers - I can has Starbux.

And who knew? Super Mario is also a plumber!

Forgot to mention age, didn't I?  61. But I have the body of a young boy

in a jar on my desk.

Also, I'm in Idaho - not the end of the earth, but you can see it from here.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
hello

and welcome to these forums.....as for the end of the earth I got to go there once....nothing but white snow as far as the eye could see, but the inuits are nice there, very friendly.

GreyhoundMama
GreyhoundMama's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello and welcome aboard,

Hello and welcome aboard, from another in the slightly older set. Eye-wink

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!

Welcome! Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Hi. Laughing out loud

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Herk wrote:Howdy to

Herk wrote:

Howdy to everybody, I've admired the work of the RRS, and decided to come in and look around.

I'm a long time hard atheist and have been on the internet since there was an internet, mostly. I always use either Herk or Herkv as a nym so I may seem familiar. But then, there are lots of Herks out there.

I was raised Catholic and did all the parochial schools and altar boy and all that drivel, but it didn't take. I spent a few years after high school being agnostic and not caring, then was a Baha'i for about 14 years. One day, I was reading a book by Julian Jaynes and he mentioned that wouldn't it be nice if there was a god, but of course there isn't. I realized that he was right.

Now, as I enter my dotage, I enjoy hammering on fundies and I frequent a few non-believer forums.

I don't know what to think of your avatar. You look like you should be sanding next to Joe Pesci shouting, "YOU WANT NAILS HE'LL GIVE YOU NAILS!"

I kid I kid. I am a "bad cop too" in theistic debate. Others have patience for the slow deconstruction of history and magical claims. I am the guy in the interrogation room standing behind the good cop slamming my fists shouting, "You better listen to him he is the only friend you've got"

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Herk wrote:Thanks for the

Herk wrote:

Thanks for the welcomes.

in a jar on my desk.

Yea, but that view is not as spectacular as being able to see Russia from your house. What magazines do you read, and don't tell me "anything that is in front of me".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Brian37 wrote:

Herk wrote:

Thanks for the welcomes.

in a jar on my desk.

Yea, but that view is not as spectacular as being able to see Russia from your house. What magazines do you read, and don't tell me "anything that is in front of me".

He could read all of them.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum Herk.

Welcome to the forum Herk.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Herk (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
My avatar picture is

My avatar picture is actually a few years old - I quit wearing the bibb overalls and now wear a "uniform."

I don't read too many magazines because I'm always online, but I do read The Nation and a number of trade magazines such as phc News, PM (Plumbing and Mechanical), Reeves Journal, Contractor Magazine, etc. I just let my Maximum PC subscription go. I also get Playboy and Funny Times.

Unlike Sarah, I can actually name the ones I read, Charlie. *wink*

Online, I read Pharyngula and Friendly Atheist and even though PZ talks it down I read Huffpost.

And I see looking at my earlier post that I made another mistake - I meant to say that I have the "heart" of a young boy on my desk. There's hardly room for a complete young boy unless I move things around.

Brian37 wrote:
You look like you should be sanding next to Joe Pesci shouting, "YOU WANT NAILS HE'LL GIVE YOU NAILS!"

I find that my theist opponents often bring their own nails and boards.

Oh, I can see Russia from my house. Many years ago, in a pizza joint in downtown Detroit, I was debating a group of Jesus freaks (see how old I am?) and when asked how every eye would be able to see Jesus when he comes back as promised in the Bible, one of them retorted that was why television was invented. And I think seeing Russia is why computers were invented, extrapolating on that clever logic.

Herk
Superfan
Herk's picture
User is offlineOffline
My account accidentally got

My account accidentally got smooshed, but I'm back. I wrote the original post in this thread. *waves*

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Herk wrote:My account

Herk wrote:

My account accidentally got smooshed, but I'm back. I wrote the original post in this thread. *waves*

Again so sorry about that.  The damn spammers made me overzealous.  We've added one of those highly annoying captcha units that people will have to type out an impossible to read word now before creating an account which should slow the spammers up.

All of the posts from Herks past life now read anonymous.

Herk
Superfan
Herk's picture
User is offlineOffline
I haven't been here long,

I haven't been here long, Brian, so not much was lost. I understand completely. No problem. Thanks for your help getting me back in so quickly.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I once did worse. I recall

I once did worse. I recall an attack on a forum I moderated where there were at least ten individuals spamming, flaming, and posting illicit materials. I was one of two mods on at the time, but the other only had access to a couple subforums, and was limited in what he could do. After an hour or two, I got annoyed and started using the smod tools, and accidentally deleted the entire content of two long term members, one of whom was also an smod. Oh that did not go over well.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well hello Herk.   Herk

Well hello Herk.

Herk wrote:

My condolences on having to share a State with Chuck Missler.

Herk wrote:

Oh, I can see Russia from my house. Many years ago, in a pizza joint in downtown Detroit, I was debating a group of Jesus freaks (see how old I am?) and when asked how every eye would be able to see Jesus when he comes back as promised in the Bible, one of them retorted that was why television was invented. And I think seeing Russia is why computers were invented, extrapolating on that clever logic.

Yah, one just has to love the leaps of logic that theists will take to even try and make sense.  Out of curiosity, have you ever seen hell from your house?  Now you can.  The following picture of a rather pleasant looking place to have a picnic is the literal location of what was a former landfill outside of Jerusalem.  Like most land fills, it was more or less always on fire and it was the place where religious authorities used to dump the bodies of people who were executed for various religious crimes.  They would literally "burn in hell" for what they had done.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=