South Atlantic Anomaly

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
South Atlantic Anomaly

I was watching "Naked Science" on the NGS channel,and it's about the Earth's magnetic field disappearing,and it started off about the "South Atlantic Anomaly"and how when Hubble does a fly over ,NASA has to shut down the instruments,so they don't break down. The SAA starts right of the coast of Brazil,and st reaches out for about a thousand miles.And I was wondering if this Anomaly had any thing to due with the plane crash that occurred on 6-1-09. Does anyone here have an opinion ?

The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
The Flying Spaghetti Monster's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's been a while since I

It's been a while since I covered this in school, but I believe there's a belt of radioactive particles caught within the magnetic fields of the planet, and in that one area in the south atlantic is where it is closest (hence causing electromagnetic interference). I don't know if that exact area is the same as the "bermuda triangle," but I believe the reaction is the same.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wikipedia wrote:The South

Wikipedia wrote:

The South Atlantic Anomaly (or SAA) is the region where Earth's inner Van Allen radiation belt makes its closest approach to the planet's surface. For a given altitude, the radiation intensity is greater within this region than elsewhere. The Van Allen radiation belts are symmetric with the Earth's magnetic axis, which is tilted with respect to the Earth's rotational axis by an angle of ~11 degrees. Because of this tilt, the inner Van Allen belt is closest to the Earth's surface over the south Atlantic ocean, and farthest from the Earth's surface over the north Pacific ocean.

The South Atlantic Anomaly is of great significance to astronomical satellites and other spacecraft that orbit the Earth at several hundred kilometers altitude; these orbits take satellites through the anomaly periodically, exposing them to several minutes of strong radiation each time. The International Space Station, orbiting with an inclination of 51.6°, requires extra shielding to deal with this problem. The Hubble Space Telescope does not take observations while passing through the SAA.

Just sayin'.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Anon O Moose
User is offlineOffline
Planes can't fly nearly high

Planes can't fly nearly high enough to escape Earth's magnetic field.