Atheists- Volunteer for free math and science tutoring

Jen S
Jen S's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheists- Volunteer for free math and science tutoring

I am a math teacher.  I have thought that it would be a great idea for atheists to do some volunteer work.  And Tutoring kids in math and science for free makes so much sense!  It fits so well. What do you think?

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jen S wrote: I am a math

Jen S wrote:

I am a math teacher.  I have thought that it would be a great idea for atheists to do some volunteer work.  And Tutoring kids in math and science for free makes so much sense!  It fits so well. What do you think?

Sounds like a great idea. I offered to volunteer at the local satellite college here, but higher learning, like learning to read, for instance, isn't high on the agenda for the people in the area.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
It's extremely rewarding. 

It's extremely rewarding.  I tutored those exact subjects to inner city students for a while before I was operating RRS.  Are there any national orgs that help organize the effort?

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was a volunteer tutor at

I was a volunteer tutor at public library only about a year ago.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
We cant do things like this.

We cant do things like this. We atheists have a stereotype to live up to. We have no morals and we barbeque kittens. This volunteer stuff is silly. You guys are going to destroy our immage. WHAT KIND OF ATHEISTS ARE YOU!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:We cant do

Brian37 wrote:

We cant do things like this. We atheists have a stereotype to live up to. We have no morals and we barbeque kittens. This volunteer stuff is silly. You guys are going to destroy our immage. WHAT KIND OF ATHEISTS ARE YOU!

Oh, but the volunteering is just a front to get our feet in the door. Once we infiltrate we plan on seducing their virgin children and exposing them to homosexuality, tearing down the moral and familial structure of the household, brainwashing them with communism, and as an act of ultimate evil, having them serve their family pets as the entree at their first annual incestuous homo-communist orgy and barbeque. It's all part of the Evil Atheist Conspiracy.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Desdenova wrote:Brian37

Desdenova wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Oh, but the volunteering is just a front to get our feet in the door. Once we infiltrate we plan on seducing their virgin children and exposing them to homosexuality, tearing down the moral and familial structure of the household, brainwashing them with communism, and as an act of ultimate evil, having them serve their family pets as the entree at their first annual incestuous homo-communist orgy and barbeque. It's all part of the Evil Atheist Conspiracy.

Shit, I didn't realize this plan was a trogan horse. Thanks for spoiling it for everyone. Now we really will have to act like humans and take our horns off. There's always a killjoy at the party.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
I beg to differ

Desdenova wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Now now Desdenova we can't go off seducing virgin children, we are not catholic priests after all. They have the consession on that franchise. Then there is Ted Hagard & Jimmy Swaggart useing up all the call-boys/girls in the area--whers's a good atheist suppose to get laid? Then your average brainwashing-communal living-incest goes hand in hand with poligamist not to mention buildt in orgies.

That leaves us poor boring atheists with nothing but our traditional kitten barbaques and rational intelligence. Why can't we have fun like the skydaddy peoples?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Similar to the idea of Math

Similar to the idea of Math and Science tutoring, my group is currently investigating volunteering in local literacy programs.  Many in the area are not attached to a relgious program and would be a great place to check out.  I recommend calling your local library.  One of our members previous did radio reading for the blind and found it extremely rewarding.

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
To get myself back on at

To get myself back on at least a parallel track, what would you folks say to a book club? We could pick a title on atheism, skepticism, or even a current apologetic work, read it, and discuss it on the boards.  Even a book exchange network might be useful.  I've given thought to creating a skeptics library, and while the logistics of loaning books via snail mail is a pain in the ass, I'm always happy to loan ( or just give ) books to people that are interested in research or honing their critical thinking skills.

Dracos
User is offlineOffline
Volunteering

If you want a way to do volunteer work and don't want to tutor people , go to the local dog pound and teach dogs basic commands.  Sit Laydown stay come.  It makes them so much more adoptable.  It may save their life.  And you could take some juicy puppies home to barbeque.

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dracos wrote:If you want a

Dracos wrote:

If you want a way to do volunteer work and don't want to tutor people , go to the local dog pound and teach dogs basic commands.  Sit Laydown stay come.  It makes them so much more adoptable.  It may save their life.  And you could take some juicy puppies home to barbeque.

Now that is something I could do here. And the dogs are considerably more intelligent than the locals. Ixnay on the barbeque though, because the locals have deforested the region in a 40 mile radius. I actually lost my cool with one of them shortly after I got here. I asked why all the trees had been cut down. The guy claimed that there had never been trees here. I pointed to the closest of the half dozen dead tree stumps in sight. " Then what the fuck is that? " I asked. In the silence that ensued I was reminded of the Radio Shack parody: You've got questions, we've got puzzled looks.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Desdenova wrote:To get

Desdenova wrote:

To get myself back on at least a parallel track, what would you folks say to a book club? We could pick a title on atheism, skepticism, or even a current apologetic work, read it, and discuss it on the boards.  Even a book exchange network might be useful.  I've given thought to creating a skeptics library, and while the logistics of loaning books via snail mail is a pain in the ass, I'm always happy to loan ( or just give ) books to people that are interested in research or honing their critical thinking skills.

I do brlieve Hamby may have mentioned an idea like this at some point. 

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:It's extremely

Sapient wrote:

It's extremely rewarding.  I tutored those exact subjects to inner city students for a while before I was operating RRS.  Are there any national orgs that help organize the effort?

I tutored math in high school and it was rewarding for me as well. I'd also like to know about any sort of organizational groups if you have that info handy.

Desdenova wrote:

Sounds like a great idea. I offered to volunteer at the local satellite college here, but higher learning, like learning to read, for instance, isn't high on the agenda for the people in the area.

Sorry to hear that. My pupils were not super excited about learning but they did know how to read...

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
How about biology?

I was planning to arrange to teach evolution in biology classes after I graduate next year. The teachers on my school only teach creationism, and I would like to expose their lies.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
????

Thunderios wrote:

I was planning to arrange to teach evolution in biology classes after I graduate next year. The teachers on my school only teach creationism, and I would like to expose their lies.

What kind of a school do you go to?   Public/ Privete?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
O gosh

Jeffrick said: What kind of a school do you go to? Public/ Privete?

I made it sound like I was going to be a teacher, didn't I? That was not my intention. I meant just asking my teacher if I can have one lesson to teach the classes about how evolution really works.
And to answer your question, I don't really know. I think it works a little different in Holland: we have secular schools and Christian schools. But Christian schools are funded as much as secular schools, so I think there's not really a lot different. We have to know a couple of things about evolution for our exam, but the rest is just ignored.
EDIT: In another topic there's more information on Dutch schooling. I just found it on the internet.