Secular Determinism

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Secular Determinism

I was having a discussion with my friend on predeterminism, the theory that the universe is essentially a system, there is no chance, and on some complex level everything is effected by everything else by chain of prior occurences. For example, the outcome of flipping a coin is due to every happenstance of the environment at that particular time, and if somehow in a parallel universe the exact event were repeated from the beginning, the outcome would be the same. There really is no way to prove it, but...

Right now I'm reading about how quantum mechanics and hidden variables and how this challenges  the idea of determinism.

Personally I'd consider myself a metaphysical naturalist. I think the "butterfly effect" might have some validity to it, but determinism makes me frown skeptically. What do you think?

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I was having a

Quote:
I was having a discussion with my friend on predeterminism, the theory that the universe is essentially a system, there is no chance, and on some complex level everything is effected by everything else by chain of prior occurences. For example, the outcome of flipping a coin is due to every happenstance of the environment at that particular time, and if somehow in a parallel universe the exact event were repeated from the beginning, the outcome would be the same.

This doesn't really jive with what we know of evolutionary theory, though.

If there are parallel universes, we know that they would not all be copied perfectly (well, I guess we don't *know* that, but it's the most reasonable hypothesis), which will lead to drifting differences between universes as the generations go deeper.

Not only would it be wrong to assume in such a scenario that any one coin flip would be the same - it's likely wrong to assume that such a thing as 'coin flipping' even exists in every universe.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it's safe to say

I think it's safe to say that I send out a causal *ping* with every action that I take. Granted, I can't track most of these streams originating from a particular decision I make, but that doesn't mean that they don't significantly effect the course of events for quite a distance.

Corliss Lamont talked a bit about this in a book on Humanism. Causal Streams is what he called them. Fascinating stuff to me, but then again I'm a scientific toddler Smiling

The whole thing about determinism is an interesting academic exercise. The whole "there is no choice, only one thing responding to another thing as it is predisposed to" really doesn't say much to me. There was a fellow on these boards some time ago that was really stuck on the topic. It makes sense to me, I guess it just doesn't matter, whether or not it is correct.

My actions are determined by my noodle. My noodle is a complex web of circuts that makes decisions based on experience, imagined future outcome, and basic processing power. When said grey squishy noodle encounters the need to make a decision it goes through it's process and, *pop*, I come to a decision. Could my brain have made another decision? I don't think so, not if my brain is exactly the same, with the exact same experience and processing power. I don't see how I could be capable of making a decision other than the one I make. If we were to go back in time and, under the exact same circumstances, present my brain with the same problem, it would make the *exact* same decision in the *exact* same fashion. It has too.

Right?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 It's largely an academic

It's largely an academic question because the reality of the answer wouldn't change our own perceptual existence in any way.  I hesitate to get into any conversations about quantum mechanics for two reasons:

1) I don't understand it well enough to even ask intelligent questions.

2) Most people who would have the discussion don't understand it any better than me.

Have you read this article:

Free Will: Why we don't have it, and why that's a good thing.

It's not on precisely the same subject, but it does deal with a form of determinism.  In any case, whether or  not there is true randomness on any quantum level is basically irrelevant because it's impossible for humans to percieve below our own perceptions, which are inextricably bound to linear time and cause/effect, as well as our perception of choice as a conscious selection between multiple, genuinely available options.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
On a side note: Peppermint,

On a side note: Peppermint, your avatar is so cute I just want to bite you.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:On a side

marcusfish wrote:

On a side note: Peppermint, your avatar is so cute I just want to bite you.

Is it the Brady Bunch head-tilt that does it for you? My sister just said that the other day when she saw a puppy: "Ooooh, look how cute that puppy's ears are! I just want to bite them!"

I might understand ... if only I had a heaaaaart.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Oh, and on the actual

Oh, and on the actual subject of the thread, I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to tell the difference between determinism and a system of agents acting independently in a "free-will" fashion. We seem to do the same things over and over again, because it's in our nature.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I love her,  .... how come

I love her,  .... how come ? WOW ....

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Free will? Of course we have

Free will? Of course we have it, though we have limited choices, we actually have a free will in choosing them.

The question is, is there a destiny? I think that in a certain sense yes. There are certain waypoints, goals of life, optimal experiences, which can be called our destiny. They're not predestined, but they're likely to happen, because they present the best, the most useful experience for us, and thus, the power of our effort aspires towards them. This makes them so likely. Ever had a deja vu? Maybe your brain just got left behind in perception and realized that while in a retrospective and this made this feeling. Or this exact place and exact moment was your destiny, one of waypoints on your way, and this doesn't even have to be any glorious situation.

Such a thought came to my mind recently. I don't put an official stamp on it of me insisting on it officially, I don't even know if it's true, but some of you might consider...
We make many mistakes, and the world is in such a disorder, so is the free will really a good thing? I won't thrill you for long, it actually isn't. It's the ability to be ignorant, to make mistakes, to stagnate, to resist the evolutionary pressure. This isn't very pleasant thing, right? But it seems to be necessary. We are not alone on this planet. There are people, animals and whole ecosystems dependent on us. Without a free will, whatever we would be, we wouldn't stay at one place long enough to support each other or the ecosystems dependent on us. We would either evolve or be swept away very quickly The free will holds us back, so plants, animals, microorganisms, or even families, can live their amount of time together with us. We, as a complex beings are exposed to wider range of influences than them, and an evolutionary pressure on us should be higher - our mistakes are greater, we should pay much more attention to them. But somehow, it doesn't happen, thanks to our free will, it takes a lot of time to actually move forward in evolution.

The evolution has a direction, as we can see, less complex systems becomes more complex and integrated systems.
The evolution of many living things around is dependent on a certain speed (or slowness) of our evolution. This is maybe why the free will is sacred and this is why all good beings avoids infringing of the free will. Let the children do their mistakes.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
spinoza had a lot to say

spinoza had a lot to say about this topic.  he definitely believed in a determinist universe, but he also believed that humans have the ability to make choices freely within the laws of the universe.

as a marxist, i'm pretty deterministic, especially when it comes to history.  each successive dominant mode of production and exchange brings with it pretty ironclad laws that are over and above human influence.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
All should know the great

All should know the great Spinoza! A mentor of Einstein, and many serious thinkers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baruch_Spinoza

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote:I was

peppermint wrote:

I was having a discussion with my friend on predeterminism, the theory that the universe is essentially a system, there is no chance, and on some complex level everything is effected by everything else by chain of prior occurences. For example, the outcome of flipping a coin is due to every happenstance of the environment at that particular time, and if somehow in a parallel universe the exact event were repeated from the beginning, the outcome would be the same. There really is no way to prove it, but...

Right now I'm reading about how quantum mechanics and hidden variables and how this challenges  the idea of determinism.

Personally I'd consider myself a metaphysical naturalist. I think the "butterfly effect" might have some validity to it, but determinism makes me frown skeptically. What do you think?

I think you need to be careful not to confuse pre-determinism with determinism. Determinism is the idea that the state of the universe *now* determines the state of the universe in the future, which your example of flipping coins illustrates. Pre-determinism is a type of determinism which includes the additional idea that even if you had detailed knowledge of the future state of the universe *now*, you are powerless to use this knowledge to modify that future state. For example, a pre-determinist might believe that his fate is to assassinate a politician, and neither he nor anyone else can do anything to stop himself.

The reason this distinction is important is that 'free will' is compatible with determinism, but not pre-determinism. By 'free will', I don't mean absolute free will, but rather the colloquial sense of free will that you are able to control your actions without coercion (from people) or some sort of force (such as 'fate').

Absolute free will, i.e. being able to defy your physical brain, is a form of dualism and is nonsense. Most people who cling to the idea of absolute free will reject determinism because they confuse determinism with predeterminism. This is why the distinction is relevant.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
We are free to choose based

We are free to choose based on the outcome of our reasoning processes, modified by the influences of our emotional state, sensory input, relevant memories which these thoughts and inputs have brought to mind... Is there something I have missed in this list, some other input, or is our choice also governed by the equivalent of a coin toss?

All of the factors I listed are in turn governed by a whole bunch of other preceding processes and environmental and physical states, which in turn are 'determined' by a widening circle of outside events which have contributed to the immediate state of our mind leading up to our choice.

The 'deterministic' universe is so complex that it is effectively and practically unpredictable at the level of the exact course of local events, once you try to work back any significant distance in time, so there really is no way we could tell from our direct personal experience the difference between a world populated by beings making 'free' choices and one where their choices where 'determined' by the exact state of that chunk of the universe within their lifetime 'event horizon' - that is , all of the universe close enough in  space and far enough back in time for its light or gravitatitional field to have influenced our local environment.

The notion of 'free will' is how we perceive all this. Actually weighing up all the factors in the process of making a 'considered' choice is obviously determined. An attempt to make an 'undetermined' choice is harder, but my feeling about such a choice is like us consciously trying to simulate something like a roulette wheel, but is still ultimately 'deterministic', in the same sense that such a wheel is still goverend by the laws of physics.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:The 'deterministic'

Quote:
The 'deterministic' universe is so complex that it is effectively and practically unpredictable at the level of the exact course of local events, once you try to work back any significant distance in time, so there really is no way we could tell from our direct personal experience the difference between a world populated by beings making 'free' choices and one where their choices where 'determined' by the exact state of that chunk of the universe within their lifetime 'event horizon' - that is , all of the universe close enough in  space and far enough back in time for its light or gravitatitional field to have influenced our local environment.

Wow.  That's a hell of a sentence.  I think it might even be good syntax.  And coincidentally, it's echoing exactly what I was saying.  Good going on all counts, Bob!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Wow.  That's a hell of a sentence.  I think it might even be good syntax.  And coincidentally, it's echoing exactly what I was saying.  Good going on all counts, Bob!

Thanks Hamby...

I do find my sentences do tend to run on a bit, and have to force myself at times to go back and break them up if I can improve the clarity.

Not sure if I got some things quite right there, but your comment reassures me that I got the idea across.

I can't quite see exactly what people mean when they talk about free will, since everytime I make a decision, it is based on some set of prior states in my mind, whether long term personal preferences, memory, the result of some reasoning process, etc, all of which seem to me to be prior 'causes', and are all things we can match in principle to physical states in the brain.

I think it may be that people don't see 'feelings' as determined by physical events/states in that spongy physical organ.

Or it is that they are thinking of 'determinism' in terms of a simple linear chain of identifiable 'cause and effect', like a a chain of gears and levers passing on some movement at one end of the chain being rigidly transferred on to the other end.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:I can't quite see

Quote:
I can't quite see exactly what people mean when they talk about free will

Personally, I find the term quite incoherent, although in a slightly different way than the terms "supernatural" and "spiritual" are incoherent.  Choice is something that most certainly does occur, if only out of simple necessity.  My example is a spider walking across the forest floor.  Suppose she encounters a log.  Assuming that she doesn't die instantly, she must either turn left or right, turn back, stand still, or climb over.  There is simply no other option than to make a "choice."

Where I think people get snagged is in the nature of the agent of choice.  It probably goes back to what Dennett talks about in the beginning of "Consciousness Explained."  People tend to think of themselves as a dualistic entity.  They say, "I have a brain."  It seems that we are evolutionarily programmed to perceive ourselves as a consciousness residing in a body as opposed to an integrated singular entity.

Quote:
I think it may be that people don't see 'feelings' as determined by physical events/states in that spongy physical organ.

I'm consistently amazed at how many people think emotions and feelings are magic.

Quote:
Or it is that they are thinking of 'determinism' in terms of a simple linear chain of identifiable 'cause and effect', like a a chain of gears and levers passing on some movement at one end of the chain being rigidly transferred on to the other end.

Could be.  I suspect there are more armchair philosophers who understand determinism than quantum physics, but I think you're still going to run into a lot of people who think they understand determinism because they've read a couple of web blogs.

I guess I'm saying that an awful lot of arguments are butchered because people think they know what they're talking about when they definitely do not.

Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Sartre said, and wrote

Sartre said, and wrote "Condemned To Be Free", as I say condemned to be awed, as I say gawed.

Yeah, freewill is a funny word, but isn't freewill basically what we call consciousness? Wild, yin yang ... free, not free, condemned !!! .... ummm ??? My head hurts .... and a buddha laughed.    

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:Sartre

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Sartre said, and wrote "Condemned To Be Free", as I say condemned to be awed, as I say gawed.

Yeah, freewill is a funny word, but isn't freewill basically what we call consciousness? Wild, yin yang ... free, not free, condemned !!! .... ummm ??? My head hurts .... and a buddha laughed.    

That's a pretty reasonable way to look at it, yes.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think the idea of 'free'

I think the idea of 'free' will is related to the subconscious and intuition. We are not directly conscious of how our most basic decisions are made. We are not directly conscious of how our neurons work, for example. So, we have this ability to have intuitive ideas just pop into our heads, as if they came out of nowhere. We are not directly aware of what caused these ideas, so the credulous person assumes they have no cause, or rather that we ourselves caused them 'freely'. Thus, free will. "Why did I decide to go left rather than right? I don't know. I guess I just chose it of my own free will."

Of course, the true answer is that our neurons made the decision, based on their conditioning, which is what we call the subconscious. Literally, it is below our consciousness. There are reasons, we just aren't aware of them.

Sometimes it's possible to explore our subconscious, and bring some of it into consciousness. However, there will always be a lower limit to our consciousness of our own decision making. Our brains simply aren't sophisticated enough to be aware of intracellular processes in our neurons, for example. So, we will always have this 'mysterious' ability to make decisions that we can't completely explain. It will always appear that our will is 'free'.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like that explanation,

I like that explanation, Natural.

It's actually ironic, that the feeling that we have made a 'free' choice, is actually the result of virtually the opposite process, a decision made 'for us' by our subconscious that is rationalized by our conscious mind as our 'free choice'...