Pseudoscience is very, very bad

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pseudoscience is very, very bad

What's the harm in letting some people believe that magical 'fields' will do all kinds of wonderful things?

Watch this Christian apologist's conflation and understand:

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:What's

Kevin R Brown wrote:

What's the harm in letting some people believe that magical 'fields' will do all kinds of wonderful things?

Watch this Christian apologist's conflation and understand:

What he fails to mention is that these quacks never hold up to peer review, and that is why it is called "pseudo-science" and not "science".

As for the Bible, this is the biggest instance of the pot calling the kettle black that I have ever seen. Prayer is supposed to do tons of miraculous things too. Guess what? It doesn't work either.

EDIT: It's also extremely ironic that he used a scientific experiment to prove the claims of that doctor wrong.

TomJ
atheist
TomJ's picture
User is offlineOffline
What a tool

He also fails to mention the principles of science that allowed for the manufacture of his camera, lighting, chroma keying, refrigerator, electrical power, automobiles, the Internet, et cetera.  And they all run regardless of whether you pray to them or thank them.  They work so well so in fact, that one forgets that they are there. I bet he thinks these things run on faith or god with a capital g. In the future, videos like this will serve to demonstrate how religion kept us stupid despite all the knowledge we had.

Remember how you figured out there is no Santa? Well, their god is just like Santa. They just haven’t figured out he’s not real yet.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That reminds me a while back

That reminds me a while back on this site there was something - it may have been to enter the site itself, I forget. It gave you a choice of clicking a link to enter or praying that you enter. Guess which one worked better?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yep, pseudoscience harms the

Yep, pseudoscience harms the understanding of real science. That's why I f*ckin hate it!!!

I love how god has cured his baldness though.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Only the religious claim

Only the religious claim they have the ultimate answer .... as "god done it" ... Wow ain't that cleaver !     That video guy is a sick retard to heal  ..... 

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
TomJ wrote:He also fails to

TomJ wrote:

He also fails to mention the principles of science that allowed for the manufacture of his camera, lighting, chroma keying, refrigerator, electrical power, automobiles, the Internet, et cetera.  And they all run regardless of whether you pray to them or thank them.  They work so well so in fact, that one forgets that they are there. I bet he thinks these things run on faith or god with a capital g. In the future, videos like this will serve to demonstrate how religion kept us stupid despite all the knowledge we had.

Exactly. (And thank you for using "et cetera" - it's getting hard to hear to "ex etera".)

My rage at the punchline of that video is overwhelming at this point. "One doctor was a charlatan, therefore science is wrong, and the bible is right."

Of course.

"I'm sorry, sir, your brain isn't working. We're going to have to take you in for repairs."

"What? I ... hold on, let me fetch my bible."

"Sir, we're going to need you to get in the car. Jimmy, get the cattle prod."

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
It was great right up until

It was great right up until 2:35. Then out of nowhere we are told to trust the Bible. If we ignore that last part, then this is a decent film on needing to avoid pseudo-scientific cures. I am still a little confused on how he went from "ignore the quacks" to "trust the Bible" though.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India