Christian Radio

Dragonfire5287
Superfan
Dragonfire5287's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christian Radio

Lately I've taken to listening to a bit of christian radio a few days of the week.  I know this is masochistic, however it reminds me why I do what I do, why I joined with LeftofLarry to found the United Secular Alliance at Virginia Commonwealth University.  It makes me angry, outraged and generally just pissed.  I find that I have allowed myself to supress my anger due to the fact that I can lose control of it, however I'm still looking for that happy balance. 

Do any others find themselves using this form of motivation?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have listen

However for different reasons, I am happy, I have listen because in passing by they are talking about a specific subject, evolution, abortion rights or something around a topic that could affect society as a whole, and then try to see what mistakes they are making and obvious errors to be able to point out at a later date if possible.

Jello
User is offlineOffline
I like watching venomfangx

I like watching venomfangx videos. He's a well funny bloke.

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
NO !!

I find that type of radio to be annoying as HELL !!   

PorkChop
Rational VIP!SuperfanSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
I have to admit that

I have to admit that sometimes (like twice a year) I do find myself listening to a bit of a preacher up on the radio.  I don't really know why (it's usually on a long, boring drive through the South).  As a kid, I was subjected to that sort of thing almost constantly.  I guess part of me finds the cadence of the words and the authoritative stance and such to be somewhat soothing...but that's just the kid in me, I think...familiarity and all. 

HOWEVER.  The things they talk about and the flat-out lying that they do is a fine reminder of why I loathe that whole scene.  I find myself shaking my head a little, then sortof yelling at the radio, then turning it off in disgust.  That crap is lame.  I'm glad to be separated from it--I mean seriously thankful.

Dragonfire5287
Superfan
Dragonfire5287's picture
User is offlineOffline
I find the anger to be

I find the anger to be helpful and motivational.  That and I think that a weekly dose of annoyance will prolong my life.

Dragonfire5287
Superfan
Dragonfire5287's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now, now, tell us how you

Now, now, tell us how you really feel Sticking out tongue

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dragonfire5287 wrote:Lately

Dragonfire5287 wrote:

Lately I've taken to listening to a bit of christian radio a few days of the week.  I know this is masochistic, however it reminds me why I do what I do, why I joined with LeftofLarry to found the United Secular Alliance at Virginia Commonwealth University.  It makes me angry, outraged and generally just pissed.  I find that I have allowed myself to supress my anger due to the fact that I can lose control of it, however I'm still looking for that happy balance. 

Do any others find themselves using this form of motivation?

Welcome to the RRS Dragonfire.  I live in Bakersfield, CA, which is pretty much the fundy belt of the west coast states.  I'm reminded on a daily basis of why I'm atheist without having to watch that crap.  Most of the time I shake my head, occasionally I write a letter to the editor when those asshats start one of their campaigns to inject jesus into everything or display their ignorance on the Constitution or the history of this country.  Just today some fundy bimbo wrote in complaining how everyone if committing heresy by working on the sabbath, Saturday, and closed her letter with "Look at your calendar. What's the first day of the week? Sunday, I rest my case."  Don't know about you but, I don't remember god namng the days so the sabbath could be any day of the week.  Pre-semitic observance of the sabbath was on the 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th days of each month without regard for what day it was.  christians are ignorant of their own history and continually make shit up which is why, combined with dogma, they are so damnably dangerous.

Channel your anger into constructive and meaningful ways of fighting the ignorance of the christian religion, in ways that educate those willing to be educated (fundies  seem unable or unwilling to flirt with reason so you can probably forget the majority of them).  Control that anger without suppressing it using reason and logic. Learn the bible and its failings and contradictions.  Study the translations of older documents and ancient myths from which christianity borrowed to create the myths of their religion.  The more rational or semi-rational people we can convince of the absurdity of the bible and religion in general, not whether or not god exists, the better we can keep ignorance and the dark ages at bay.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
My father listens to

My father listens to christian radio in the car. Being stuck in rush hour traffic with that playing must be kinda what hell is. I think I was going to physically sick at one point, especially when the DJ was telling outright lies, and one caller said we have to have prayer in schools for kids to have any future.

Don't remind me of the time I listened to 'hitorical' evidence of jesus for 30 minutes.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Dragonfire5287
Superfan
Dragonfire5287's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tell me about it, I made the

Tell me about it, I made the mistake of listening on July 3rd when they were spewing all sort of shit about how the only way 'freedom' in the United States works is through a willing submission to god.  Hmmm...  Sound muslim much?

Dragonfire5287
Superfan
Dragonfire5287's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tell me about it, I made the

EDIT - double post

Dragonfire5287
Superfan
Dragonfire5287's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am trying to learn to

I am trying to learn to channel my anger into constructive channels.  I just need to get used to letting it loose because for the longest time I've surpressed it due to issues of control.  I learning as I go.

Gamage90
Gamage90's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ugh Christian radio. I watch

Ugh Christian radio. I watch arguments between Richard Dawkins and theists on Youtube and like to hear the absurdity of the theists contradictions, kinda keeps me going because they usually tend to think they have one over on Professor Dawkins and don't realise how idiotic they are.

"Faith means not wanting to know what is true"
(Friedrich Nietzsche)