DUN DUN DUHHHHN The Devil...

Balrogoz
User is offlineOffline
DUN DUN DUHHHHN The Devil...

I don't talk on the forums because there is little to say, no reason to repeat what other people have already said, and more eloquently than I would have.  One thing I am surprised at is that nobody seems at all alarmed at the rate which supposed christians fear the devil.  Seriously (or SRSLY, in the parlance of our times), the bible (the only book these people seem to think says anything), portrays the devil as doubting God and exploring God's belief in his followers.  The Devil inflicts pain and suffering only at the direction of God.

The powerful Devil that is capable of acting outside God's direction and interested in the collection of souls is a vestige of manicheanism.  This was a religion that Saint Augustine belonged to before he began hearing voices in his head ('pick up and read!' a mantra I wish more religious people would heed).  The major beliefs of this religion was there were two gods, one dark and one light.  The light god was all happy thoughts and positive regard toward humans, the dark god was all materialistic and wanted war and sex and all that.  There was an extremely intricate taxonomy of what sort of actions and things belonged  to the  domain of each deity, and of course the members of the church were urged to join the forces of light.  

Now then, Augustine belonged to this group for ~years~ before he became a bishop (that rank due to the money he donated).  After a few short years (3 if memory serves) he began penning major tomes that shaped christianity just in time for the Dark Ages.  

This Devil everyone seems to think did everything from make someone pull their pud this morning to knock over the trade center could do none of that without God's permission, if we are reading the bible strictly.  Not to mention that the Devil always tempted the most stalwart believers, not already fallen souls like yours truly.

Anyway, just an observation.  

If I have gained anything by damning myself, it is that I no longer have anything to fear. - JP Sartre

hazindu
Superfan
hazindu's picture
User is offlineOffline
Even back when I was a

Even back when I was a christian, I didn't understand the obsession with the devil.  He was such a minor character in the buybull, and quite frankly, god seemed much worse.  Anyway, I posed this question in the "theists answer these" thread, but I probably won't ever get a response:

Quote:
Why do so many Christian denominations make such a fuss over Satan when he was such a minor to non-existent character throughout most of the Bible?  He tortures Job for god's and his own amusement, and then doesn't make any significant come back until he attempts to temp Jesus.  I recall in my last read through, no mention of him made in the stories of Israel murdering, raping, pillaging and torturing all the other tribes in and on their way to the promise land.  Furthermore, how do we know that the talking snake in the mystical garden was Satan himself?

"I've yet to witness circumstance successfully manipulated through the babbling of ritualistic nonsense to an imaginary deity." -- me (josh)

If god can do anything, can he make a hot dog so big even he can't eat all of it?

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
As for christianic forums

As for christianic forums I'm also present on, devil is the guy who brings all good, pleasant, right sounding and logical things, which are not from Bible. God is the one who is so holy, that he's even holy enough to be a bloodthirsty asshole at the same time and it's completely acceptable for a believer.

If you will want to see a devil for your own eyes, wait till Papa Ratzi, aka Benedict, aka the pope of olive branch, stops being a pope and then new pope will be elected. According to quite precise prophecy of Saint Malachy, this one will be the last pope ever and he will:

10. PETER THE ROMAN - This final Pope will likely be Satan, taking the form of a man named Peter who will gain a worldwide allegiance and adoration. He will be the final antichrist which prophecy students have long foretold. If it were possible, even the very elect would be deceived. The 112th prophesy states: "In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church there will reign Petrus Romanus, who will feed his flock amid many tribulations; after which the seven-hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people. The End."

Malachy's final words, "Rome, the seat of the Vatican, will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people."

That's a nice music to atheists' ears, isn't it? I guess it will be a good fellow, he already has my anticipation. I'd suggest to build on Vatican ruins something like a memorial to victims of Holy Inquisition and genocidal catholization of South America and not much more fair catholization of Africa.

There is also another, recent prophecy, that Benedict will be the last pope. I don't think it's necessarily in contradiction, that Peter the Roman may very well not be counted as a real pope, when he will do this very dirty job.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.