From the Minds of Babes Come the Beginnings of Morals

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
From the Minds of Babes Come the Beginnings of Morals

It seems this research project demonstrates that basic morals are hardwired at birth.

The conclusion of this research invalidates the belief that a belief in 'god' is needed for moral behavior.

http://www.usnews.com/articles/science/brain/2008/01/10/from-the-minds-of-babes-come-the-beginnings-of-morals.html

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Arkanrais
Arkanrais's picture
User is offlineOffline
Interesting, Good

Interesting, Good article.

judging by previous examples though, the theists (or christians in general) would most likely say that god preprogrammes children with morals (the same way they assume belief in a god is also preprogrammed). then they'll most likely use this as 'proof' that god gives us morals, and that people only become amoral as they grow up, being exposed to the evil world, because people are born pure (conveniently ignoring their 'original sin' doctrine). Damn double thinking bastards. of course, they have no way of demonstrating this as true, but that's never stopped them before.

and the gaps for god to hide in continue to get smaller.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I knew it, I was born

I knew it, I was born perfect, so who fucked me up, god damn it !  

Jello
User is offlineOffline
You underestimate the

You underestimate the Faithfull's power to ignore evidence. Or to rationalize their way out of it by employing dumbious logic. I would imagine the christian's off hand response to this would be easy: "Our morals are the mark of God, put their by the lord from birth, etc". I think I've actually heard that one before.

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Science

The National Science Foundation is one of the best programs.  Even my theist brother likes them.

Balrogoz
User is offlineOffline
Research like that has been

Research like that has been done for decades.  Google 'stages of morality' and you will get tons of good information about the development of morality and the studies done exploring it.

Note that the 'I don't do bad things so a powerful figure won't harm me.' stage is very young, while the stages of 'I do good things to benefit my fellow humans' (social morality) is far more advanced (and rare).

If I have gained anything by damning myself, it is that I no longer have anything to fear. - JP Sartre

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jello wrote:You

Jello wrote:

You underestimate the Faithfull's power to ignore evidence. Or to rationalize their way out of it by employing dumbious logic. I would imagine the christian's off hand response to this would be easy: "Our morals are the mark of God, put their by the lord from birth, etc". I think I've actually heard that one before.

Yep, you have heard that one I'm sure cause there's not a week go by that I don't.

Atheists and agnostics stuck in the bible belt get to enjoy that phrase more often than most could imagine.

First time I've heard "dumbious logic", though. Going to borrow that one, Jello.

Ctrl Y
Theist
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote:It seems this

aiia wrote:

It seems this research project demonstrates that basic morals are hardwired at birth.

The conclusion of this research invalidates the belief that a belief in 'god' is needed for moral behavior.

http://www.usnews.com/articles/science/brain/2008/01/10/from-the-minds-of-babes-come-the-beginnings-of-morals.html

Well, what the study actually showed was that babies tend toward things that behave altruistically. That data warrants the conclusion that babies are good at telling who will feed them. But it's kind of a leap from that data to the conclusion that every newborn is hardwired to behave ethically. The babies tested were 6-10 months old, not newborns.

Don't get me wrong- it's a cool study. I just wouldn't pull this out in a debate, unless I had a bunch of other studies to use along with it.