Hard Core Atheist

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Hard Core Atheist

What percentage of membership here will claim to be hard core atheist?  I have little or no tolerance for the religious population and am wondering if I am in the minority.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
You should define "hard core

You should define "hard core atheist" first.  Is hard core atheist having "little or no tolerance for the religious population?" 

I have tolerance for theists, not theism.  Theism is a sore, theists are simply the host for the sore.  I would however have no problem with calling myself a "hard core atheist" in conversation.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Um I guess I would say I

Um I guess I would say I am.I don't think religion should be given respect and is definetley dangerous if that's what you mean.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
I don't want to interject

I don't want to interject anymore meaning into this "hard core atheist" than I already have.  It is up to each individual to claim his/her position.    (Do you cringe at the sound of pray or religious dialog in a public place of course?  Religion is a damn laxative for me, as it irritates the shit out of me.)  Even at the funeral for my parents, years ago, I sat in the back of the church.  During prayer I was looking around, checking out the congregation for any other onlookers.  I am almost inattentive at these functions.  The same is true for weddings.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
YES , as "hard core" as that

YES , as "hard core" as that atheistic / pantheistic story Jesus, Buddha like dude, who caringly called the religious dogma freaks "blind hypocrites" , etc.

Seems that Jesus can save some lost Xains yet ..... Equal time for my Jesus, sue the FCC ..... , sue the Pope ..... Eat the Rich ..... errrrrrr

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't personally care for

I don't personally care for the term.  Given the choice, I don't self identify as a hard core atheist.  I identify as a materialist and a rationalist, which pretty much necessitates atheism.  Though I am a core member on an atheist website, you'll notice that most of my writing is science and logic.  It's the same in my day to day life.  When atheism comes up, it's usually as a side note to rationalism.

To me, "hard core atheism" implies that atheism is an end goal.  I could give a rat's ass if everyone was atheist but they still believed in astrology, crystal healing, ghosts, ufo abductions, global warming hoax conspiracies and George Bush's integrity.  I want everyone to be rational, and the first step in that direction for most Americans is giving up theism.  I consider that a step in the right direction, not an end goal.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Hardcore Atheist

Yes indeed,in many ways I would consider myself a Militant Atheist,but one must be abled to function in this very Religious society that we  find ourselves living in.With all of these host for the sore,it can be very frustrating to the Critical thinker's among us.

Signature ? How ?

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Death and Marriage

As a fellow Atheist,I've found that if I stopped following these non-thinking Theist in my Family ,I'm a much Happier person,like when my MOM died earlier this year,I told her before she passed away,that I just could not find it in myself too go too the church services,but that I do want to be with the rest of the Family after the Mass,and wouldn't you know it,at the restraunt my Aunt who is very religious says to me "where were you,we missed you at the service,etc,etc.And then a few years back when my sister got married in a church, I just simply sent her a card for the occasion,and she still ignores me,so what was to be her special day,turned out to be a day that she thinks of as the day that her Brother refused to be a part of her Happiness,it's like Christopher Hitchens says Religion Poisons Everything

Signature ? How ?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Ken G , when my extended

Ken G , when my extended family or friends rebuke my atheism I send them , the likes of this, to help them understand that atheism is LOVING and boldly CARING.  I adore these atheists I tell them ..... and remind them of those atheistic Jesus words, "I have not come to bring peace (appeasement) with the hypocrites of religious divisions. All Is ONE with the cosmos (father)" ... ETC ... etc ... I use that Jesus, to the max, in my atheist message, especially on the religious xain Jesus idol worshipers.

Send more "cards" to your sister Ken ... Don't abandon the "enemy", as the xains do !

"Wisdom of the Buddha" 8 min,   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTsb-woP3jI

Carl Sagan - "Pale Blue Dot"  , 3 mins .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Buddhism

I,am god as you ,Thanks for the Links,the one with Carl Sagan,was really good.But the first one tells you about all of this so-called wisdom,but in reality,Buddhism is just another RELIGION of Bullshit. Check out ; www.michaelparenti.org click on "Articles" and then scroll down too:Friendly Feudalism:The Tibet Myth and then check out his notes and sources.and then there is this couple from Germany who were devout Buddhist traveled with the Dali Lama,and they're trying to get their book published in the USA but for now it's being suppressed,I forget the exact title of it but its something like this "The Shadow of the Dalai Lama":Sexuality,Majic and Politics in Tibetan Buddhism, by Victor & Victoria Trimondi.And I almost forgot,today I picked up a good book on Religion,it's title is "Killing the Buddha:a Heretic's Bible"by Peter Manseau & Jeff Sharlet.I only got a chance to glimpse it,but it lookes like a good read.

Signature ? How ?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
KenG , thanks, I will. But I

KenG , thanks, I will. But I must first say that many so called Buddhist's are indeed looney. Just as the loony Xains etc are an insult to the dirt simple story Jesus wisdom. The Dali Lama is basically a political figure, like the Pope. 

We "wisdom" fans are keenly aware of this problem.

That short "Wisdom of the Buddha" video I adore, is like the Occam's Razor of Buddhism. Nothing more is necessary to understand that simple wisdom.

Notice that "reincarnation was not even mentioned, nor "nirvana", nor "charma" etc, because the "folklore " has also perverted those very simple messages, of all energy/matter is recycled, inner peace, and the sending of good kind loving vibrations ......

The famous late westerner atheist wild Allan Watts was a gifted teacher / communicator of eastern philosophy, and can be found in Youtube etc. Glad I discovered him years ago.

Watch that buddha fan "Angel" again ! Send her to your friends (and enemies)     ..... 

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
I take it to the religious

I take it to the religious as and when the situation arises. I could certainly be more active, so I'm hard-core to a degree.

Haven't burnt down a church/mosque/temple yet.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Abu Lahab wrote:Haven't

Abu Lahab wrote:

Haven't burnt down a church/mosque/temple yet.

That's a hard core ARSONIST. Slight difference, but the spelling is close, so I can understand the mistake.

But to answer the question, I'm a hard-core atheist. Although I prefer "power slide" or "champion of awesome" atheist.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Percentages please

Maybe half of this membership are hard core, the rest being somewhat atheist.  Hope so anyway.  I thought a moderator here might be able to give us a percentage.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Can we fuck first ,  then

Can we fuck first ,  then the math ? 

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was pretty serious about

I was pretty serious about atheism when I was getting over being raised Christian, but now I consider myself a freethinker who just happens to be an atheist because that's what makes the most sense to me.  I think my attitude towards promoting atheism is pretty similar to that expressed by Hambydammit... it's a step in the right direction, but it's just one aspect of a much larger problem.  My objection is not directed at the believers or even the beliefs, but the faulty thinking that leads to the beliefs.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
If a religious person is

If a religious person is intelligent and argues their case reasonably then I prove the fallacy of their argument in a reasonabe and intelligent manner.

If a religious person is confrontational and unreasonable then I prove the fallacy of their argument in a reasonable, intelligent and confrontational manner.

If a religious person is aggressive then I prove the fallacy of their argument in a reasonable, intelligent and confrontational manner. Then I hit them.

The trick is to remain reasonable.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks wrote:What

Boon Docks wrote:

What percentage of membership here will claim to be hard core atheist?  I have little or no tolerance for the religious population and am wondering if I am in the minority.

I like hard core. I'm an atheist. I reckon that makes me a hard core atheist.

Ha ha! I crack my shit up.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks wrote:What

Boon Docks wrote:

I guess I'm a hard core atheist, in that I believe the evidence for a lack of a God (in the traditional sense of the word) is pretty damning. (Yeah. I love using religious terminology.) But, rather like Hamby, I see my atheism as an offshoot of rationality, rather than as a core tenet. Unlike Hamby, I'm more likely to discuss the philosophy of belief (or lack thereof), and discuss things other than strict rationality and science. Partly, it's because my science days are long over (other than as an educated layperson), and partly because I enjoy intelligent discussion.

Actually, I guess I'm not that hardcore. I'd like to see religion gone, especially in people I care about, but I don't see that as a final goal or anything.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

GW SKEPTIC
GW SKEPTIC's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I'd really be interested

I'd really be interested to see what people would come up with to fill the religion gap. Not everyone is interested in science so I don't think we can just say that.

SKEPTIC: Science & Knowledge Empowering People to Intelligently Choose
A Student Organization at The George Washington University

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
If your mind experiences a

If your mind experiences a void when religion is extracted from it then you're probably better off just sticking it back in again.

Rationality in itself is sufficient. Not as a gap-filler, like religion, but as a way of avoiding those gaps again.

You want an easy fix, WOW!!!-type, no-brainer pseudo-mentality to dominate your thinking processes other than religion? It doesn't exist. But trust me, being rational has huge compensations attached to it, not least the unfettered ability to increase your personal intelligence. And the first intelligent move you can make is to realise that extrication of a cancer doesn't leave a gap - it leaves a wound best healed.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Actually,

nigelTheBold wrote:

Actually, I guess I'm not that hardcore. I'd like to see religion gone, especially in people I care about, but I don't see that as a final goal or anything.

Pff. Whatever. You're totally hardcore. And bitchin'. So naturally, since you're an atheist AND you're hard core, I think we can all agree that you're a hard core atheist.

QED, bitches.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
4th of july

a group of theists - who were obviously disappointed our party wasn't as lame as their crap i had to keep cutting through to use the bathroom - put this on the ground.

they must have picked up this rude, obnoxious behavior in church... but yeah, i'm hard core - i guess.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:a group

shelleymtjoy wrote:

a group of theists - who were obviously disappointed our party wasn't as lame as their crap i had to keep cutting through to use the bathroom - put this on the ground.

Fucking small-minded cowardly asshole vacuous simpering spineless snake-in-the-grass uncle-fucking limp-dick weasel-stuffing douchebag shit-eating bitches.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Fucking

HisWillness wrote:

Fucking small-minded cowardly asshole vacuous simpering spineless snake-in-the-grass uncle-fucking limp-dick weasel-stuffing douchebag shit-eating bitches.

dude, they also took a camera out and started video taping me hooking up with a guy.  probably the most action they'd seen since the virgin mary's anal immaculate conception.  but yeah, beyond childish... all this started because they asked if they could "come over" to our party and i said "yeah, sure.  plenty of beer.  of course, i see you have that too but ours is guilt free."

GW SKEPTIC
GW SKEPTIC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:If your mind

Nordmann wrote:

If your mind experiences a void when religion is extracted from it then you're probably better off just sticking it back in again.

Rationality in itself is sufficient. Not as a gap-filler, like religion, but as a way of avoiding those gaps again.

You want an easy fix, WOW!!!-type, no-brainer pseudo-mentality to dominate your thinking processes other than religion? It doesn't exist. But trust me, being rational has huge compensations attached to it, not least the unfettered ability to increase your personal intelligence. And the first intelligent move you can make is to realise that extrication of a cancer doesn't leave a gap - it leaves a wound best healed.

Well of course that may be easy for you to say, and you're preaching to the choir here, but the church is a very large part of many peoples' lives. Just think of all the towns in which the church is the unifying social factor. I think just deleting religion would definitely have a social impact. I'm just interested in knowing how it would play out. Even some atheists go to Universalist Unitarian churches. I think a fair chunk on here spend more time doing atheism-related stuff (debating religion, studying holy texts, discussing on the forums, etc) than religious people do with their religion. If religion was deleted, we certainly wouldn't be doing it. Of course we can just fill the gap with science, philosophy, painting, or badminton, but it would definitely cause a change. Many things we may fill the gap with may be solitary. If religion was deleted, would we see a large shift toward isolation in outer ring suburbs and rural areas? Would a new social vehicle take its place to bring local communities together? This particular community wouldn't even exist without religion.

GW SKEPTIC
GW SKEPTIC's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy

shelleymtjoy wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

dude, they also took a camera out and started video taping me hooking up with a guy.  probably the most action they'd seen since the virgin mary's anal immaculate conception.  but yeah, beyond childish... all this started because they asked if they could "come over" to our party and i said "yeah, sure.  plenty of beer.  of course, i see you have that too but ours is guilt free."

Wow, that's crazy. Was this at Jeff's?

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
You didn't specify whether

You didn't specify whether you meant a gap experienced by the individual or by society as a whole. I was addressing the former.

Discussing the latter is completely hypothetical - religion, if it is to disappear, will do so only gradually. I am living at the moment in a society where this is in fact happening and I assume the model is pretty standard. Bit by bit the institutions of the religious "authorities" (their word not mine) begin to lose cohesion and influence, and in terms of membership experience a split that is not reflected in the superficial observation of the faith in question. More and more people abandon the tenets of the faith but persist in maintaining the superficial structure of the organisation, even to the point of attending "worship", but this too inevitably declines.

When it comes to the social and charitable activities which the religious organisation has unilaterally initiated and taken credit for, these continue by and large but against a background of disassociative gestures which in time transform these off-shoots into secular units performing more or less the same function but without the "god" bit attached. They are, after all, expressions of a much deeper human requirement than religion anyway.

When it comes to the "WOW-factor" element of what religion provides for people who are handicapped from enjoying similar experiences based on their rationality alone, this is something that individuals themselves seem to be quite able to sort out for themselves. Some (a minority) will simply switch to another superstition to replace the crutch taken away from them. The vast majority however seem perfectly capable of reassessing their relationship with superstition and simply carry on - like the church-sponsored bodies - doing the same thing but without "god" in the equation.

No gap to be filled, in other words. Just a reality check and then business as usual when it comes to socialising, humanitarian work etc. But with a LOT less bitterness about it.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
GW SKEPTIC wrote:Wow, that's

GW SKEPTIC wrote:

Yeah, it was.  Why didn't we see you there?  Or, was I just too intoxicated to notice?

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
GW SKEPTIC wrote:This

GW SKEPTIC wrote:

This particular community wouldn't even exist without religion.

John, nice to see you posting but I have to disagree... the RRS responds to all irrational claims - the whole god belief thing just happens to be the largest.  What if everyone today woke up and realized there was no evidence for the existance of god and then sat down with the paper and read their horoscope... my point being, religion isn't the sole objective of *this* community.

GW SKEPTIC
GW SKEPTIC's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:GW

shelleymtjoy wrote:

GW SKEPTIC wrote:

Yeah, it was.  Why didn't we see you there?  Or, was I just too intoxicated to notice?

Nettie and I were planning on going but she woke up sick :/ You'll have to tell me about everything that happened later!

GW SKEPTIC
GW SKEPTIC's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:GW

shelleymtjoy wrote:

GW SKEPTIC wrote:

This particular community wouldn't even exist without religion.

John, nice to see you posting but I have to disagree... the RRS responds to all irrational claims - the whole god belief thing just happens to be the largest.  What if everyone today woke up and realized there was no evidence for the existance of god and then sat down with the paper and read their horoscope... my point being, religion isn't the sole objective of *this* community.

Sure the community wouldn't become uselss, there are still plenty of other irrational things to battle. I was just saying if this whole god thing wouldn't have been an issue I don't think this website would be here. Maybe if people started acting when their fortune cookies told them to do bad things (which would be scary).