Atheist suing the U.S. Army

bkrieg73
bkrieg73's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheist suing the U.S. Army

I just saw this on CNN.  Anyone know about this guy?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/26/atheist.soldier.ap/index.html

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
It's nice to see this story

It's nice to see this story on CNN.  Here is a feature we had on military discrimination at Margaret Downeys site from Wayne Adkins

I believe Mickey will be at the Atheist Alliance International Convention in 2008, which you all should go to!

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
The military just wants it's

The military just wants it's soldiers to be deluded so they aren't so frighted by the thought of death when they hear the first bullet wiz by their head.

Quote:
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called Insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called Religion." - Robert M. Pirsig,

kaab
User is offlineOffline
Thats how it is...

when you join the military......I have never been a believer in religion, but i was formerly a believer in the USA, especially US military actions. when i was in 7th grade i told everyone i didn't have to do good in school because I was going into the marines as soon as i graduated high school and that is exactly what i did 5 years later. going into the military as atheist is like going in there as anti-USA policy, thats just how it is. twenty years ago they had protestant, catholic and jewish services, on Sunday, and you had to choose one, or else spend your time doing something worse than church. and for awhile, I did shit duty while everyone else was at church, cleaning toilets and worse, but then I decided , well, I could go to church and just write letters home, so I did. I really think the military should have Atheist services or whatnot, but what's the point? That would just lead to ANTI type feelings, things would escalate. The bottom line is, if you want to think, if you want to contemplate philosophical matters, if you want to debate right and wrong, if you want to deviate from the norm, don't join the military.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah kaap. What if they had

Yeah kaap. What if they had a war and no one showed up? ......

I'm a dreamer. I say outlaw all separate countries (large armies) and have one world army defender of all, with no atomic or massively destructive weapons or might. The details will be ever evolving ..... People are afraid of a one world gov, but that's different.

The U.N. is a great idea. The U.S.A is the worst tyrant, thumbing it's nose at the rest of what the world (U.N.) wishes. Like basic nuclear disarmament, etc etc etc .....

Ummm how crazy dangerous is the world now? Why are we taught fear and hate and preached patriotism and religion ????   > $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and more > $$$$$$$$$$$$  "EAT THE RICH" trouble maker devils  ....... NO MASTERS       

kaab
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:Yeah

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Yeah kaap. What if they had a war and no one showed up? ......

I'm a dreamer. I say outlaw all separate countries (large armies) and have one world army defender of all, with no atomic or massively destructive weapons or might. The details will be ever evolving ..... People are afraid of of a one world gov, but that's different.

Ummm how crazy dangerous is the world now? Why are we taught fear and hate and patriotism ????   > $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and more > $$$$$$$$$$$$  "EAT THE RICH" trouble maker devils  ....... NO MASTERS       

New World Odor has already begun.  It's called the GOP (grim old parody).

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  Grand old party ??? .....

Grand old party ??? ..... Solutions needed don't seem so difficult to me ..... Who is in the way?  The rich like it the way it is ..... Eat them rich ...... 

pettman
User is offlineOffline
Poor guy, I hope he wins

Poor guy, I hope he wins that lawsuit and get a nice pile of €€€.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
pettman wrote:Poor guy, I

pettman wrote:

Actually it would be $$$. Kind of hard to find somewhere to spend Euro's in the US.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
CNN wrote:It eventually came

CNN wrote:

It eventually came out in Iraq in 2007, when he was in a firefight. Hall was a gunner on a Humvee, which took several bullets in its protective shield. Afterward, his commander asked whether he believed in God, Hall said.

"I said, 'No, but I believe in Plexiglas,' "

LOL

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

pettman
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:pettman

MattShizzle wrote:

pettman wrote:

Actually it would be $$$. Kind of hard to find somewhere to spend Euro's in the US.

He exchange some for usd, buy a plane-ticket and emigrate.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
pettman wrote:He exchange

pettman wrote:

He exchange some for usd, buy a plane-ticket and emigrate.

Europe. Tomorrow's home for Islam.

I'll take my chances with the Christian Fundies.

grind119
grind119's picture
User is offlineOffline
I never had a problem during

I never had a problem during my time in the military, hell I dont think it ever came up, they had a place for worship on sundays, and you could either go there and worship or stay in your hall and write letters or get some ironing done.

I actually enjoyed going to the worship every now and then, got to sing and relax... was the only time I got to relax throught the whole time there.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
grind119 wrote:I never had a

grind119 wrote:

I never had a problem during my time in the military, hell I dont think it ever came up, they had a place for worship on sundays, and you could either go there and worship or stay in your hall and write letters or get some ironing done.

I actually enjoyed going to the worship every now and then, got to sing and relax... was the only time I got to relax throught the whole time there.

Which branch of the military?

grind119
grind119's picture
User is offlineOffline
Coast Guard... the red

Coast Guard... the red headed step child of the military

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
There is absolutely no way

There is absolutely no way having the only alternative to worship being some unpleasant duty would be constitutional - especially if the only choices were Protestant, Catholic or Jewish. The ACLU (which Im a member of) would tear them a new asshole.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
grind119 wrote:Coast

grind119 wrote:

Coast Guard... the red headed step child of the military

Hmmm.   I was in the Navy.  All the Coast Guards I met seemed pretty relaxed.  But there are some bad asses in the Coast Guard.  We had some on our ship in the Persian Gulf.  We were chasing down this tanker that smuggled oil.  The Coasties took off on a boat, boarded their ship, started ripping off all their exterior communication equipment, and burned through their hatches with a plasma torch.

The Coast Guard guys took down that ship on their first try.

The Marines had tried to take down that same ship three times previously.  They failed everytime.

So I can't talk too much smack against the Coasties.  I was impressed.

grind119
grind119's picture
User is offlineOffline
funny thing is people have

funny thing is people have either never heard of the coast guard or didnt think that we were the 5th branch of the military

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I think that most Americans

I think that most Americans have heard of the Coast Guard.  They just mistakenly believe that the American Coast Guard only defends the American Coast Line.  That's not true.  There are Coast Guard Personnel all over the place overseas.  And they are dying for our country too.

You guys just need some more advertisements out to educate people about what you guys do.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I think people tend to see

I think people tend to see the Coast Guard as something other than military because the majority of what is seen about them are rescues (often of idiots who did something stupid at sea) and catching drug smugglers. I remember the old military commercials when I was a kid only mentioned "Army, Navy, Air Force marines" - a few years later they did add Coast Guard.