Believers in Christ are not Christian?

Theia
Theia's picture
User is offlineOffline

Ok, so I have this friend who is a believer who, upon discovering I had become atheist, basically flipped out. As believers often do he felt it was his duty, as a friend, to save my soul from eternal Hell and show me the light. Round and round and round went the usual conversations and debates, eventually degrading into arguments accompanied with the attitude of superiority and righteousness (He would sacrifice his time and energies to pray for me because I obviously need outside intervention, much like you would do for an alcoholic friend in denial and spinning wildly out of control). Pretty typical, right?

But the interesting part of it all was that, all the while he's preaching the teachings of Jesus Christ and quoting the Bible, he would become indignant whenever I referred to him as being Christian or religious. Even offering him the widely accepted dictionary definitions of "Christian" or "religion" didn't make any difference.

Can anyone explain this? Why would a believer, preaching the Christian Bible, be insulted by being referred to as a Christian?

"The Bible looks like it started out as a game of Mad Libs" - Bill Maher

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
It's easier to argue for

It's easier to argue for Christianity and it's beliefs if you can avoid the horrific history of it as well as the complete nutters like evangelicals.  Everytime someone brings up an opposing argument you simply get to say "but I don't believe in that".  Cherry pickers are great fun.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Two questions:When did you

Two questions:

When did you decide you no longer believed in God? (The way you have phrased your opening statement, you seem to have believed in God at one point or another.) This doesn't have a lot to do with any discussion, but it's a point of curiosity. I've never believed in God, so I'm always interested in the transition between states, from believer to non-believer, or vice-versa.

Second, what is his professed faith? Does he attend church, etc? Or is he a casual believer?

In my experience, fundamentalists have given Christianity a bad name. (Fundamentalist Muslims are doing the same thing for Islam, near as I can tell.) So, I have noticed several Christian acquaintences distancing themselves from Christianity. This generally calls into question their devotion to their faith, as it seems the whole "giving yourself to Christ" is an intrinsic part of belief.

The best resolution to your question would be to ask him outright, "If you believe that Christ is your personal Savior, why do you question your Christianity?"

Otherwise, you'll only get a bunch of speculation from the likes of me, who have no way of really knowing what's on his mind.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
baffled bible waver.

Theia wrote:

Ok, so I have this friend who is a believer who, upon discovering I had become atheist, basically flipped out. As believers often do he felt it was his duty, as a friend, to save my soul from eternal Hell and show me the light. Round and round and round went the usual conversations and debates, eventually degrading into arguments accompanied with the attitude of superiority and righteousness (He would sacrifice his time and energies to pray for me because I obviously need outside intervention, much like you would do for an alcoholic friend in denial and spinning wildly out of control). Pretty typical, right?

But the interesting part of it all was that, all the while he's preaching the teachings of Jesus Christ and quoting the Bible, he would become indignant whenever I referred to him as being Christian or religious. Even offering him the widely accepted dictionary definitions of "Christian" or "religion" didn't make any difference.

Can anyone explain this? Why would a believer, preaching the Christian Bible, be insulted by being referred to as a Christian?

Maybe he's embarrased by the admonition,  or more likely when you call him a believer you are putting more distance between  his belief and your non-beliefs, he is frustrated by the widening gap.

{ Fixed quote. - edited by Tarpan }

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Theia wrote:Can anyone

Theia wrote:

Massive, torturous amounts of croco-duck cognitive dissonance.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
 ahhh for christ's sakes,

ahhh for christ's sakes, people are "fucking stupid and full of Shit."  I am a people, so I know this stuff .....      George Carlin is GOD !

They xains don't know what "christ" even half suggests .... if the did, they wouldn't call themselves fucking Christians. I AM hard core atheist and the "Christ" is in me .....  NO MASTER, none .....

well okay, Sex and Beer and R&R ....  that's a different story .... as Buddha said, "be extra super nice to yourselves", and Jesus said "we are God" ....

and Rod Serling said "welcome to the Twilight Zone" .....     

Theia
Theia's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Two

nigelTheBold wrote:

Two questions:

When did you decide you no longer believed in God? (The way you have phrased your opening statement, you seem to have believed in God at one point or another.) This doesn't have a lot to do with any discussion, but it's a point of curiosity. I've never believed in God, so I'm always interested in the transition between states, from believer to non-believer, or vice-versa.

I'm not sure when/why I made that final transition, actually. I think it helped that my parents were never strongly religious. I was baptized Lutheran but I don't even really know what the distinguishing features of Lutheranism are, so that shows you how much they emphasized my religious upbringing. My parents took me to Sunday School as a young child. I remember coloring pictures of Noah's ark but I don't remember anything particularly traumatic or enlightening about church. I think it was sort of a non-issue and we just went to look good. My father had a thing about looking good to the community and going to church was just what "proper" citizens did. I don't remember either parent being particularly religious, although my mother was  more "spiritual", not belonging to a particular church so much but having lots of books about "conversations with God" or something, and talking to me about God from time to time.

I think the transition began as a slight nudge in high school. I took a class in Greek and Roman mythology. When I asked the teacher why stories of the Greek gods were considered fiction and stories of the Christian god were considered fact he got indignant and refused to answer. He just replied that stories of the Christian god were true, and that was that, as if that settled it. At that point I began to suspect there was no more reason to believe in one god over the other.

But, I didn't declare myself atheist or even agnostic at that point. In high school there were a lot more important concerns, such as whether or not I was wearing the socially acceptable brand name shoes. I pretty much just went about my business, figuring I believed in God but never really giving it much thought or attention.

I think the Bush adminstration and the "Rise of the Fundies" had a lot to do with it by snapping me out of my indifference. With this administration I realized that religion was no longer a non-issue with anyone. I've also always had an interest in natural sciences and I think that's played a part. In addition to having taken lots of science classes in college, I still enjoy watching the Discovery Channel, National Geographic, The History Channel and such, and the more I've learned about politics, history, science, human psychology, and religion, the dumber and dumber religion has seemed. At some point I just decided I was not part of that idiot crowd and now I'm thoroughly convinced that it's all nonsense.

"The Bible looks like it started out as a game of Mad Libs" - Bill Maher

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Theia shouts; "I think the

Theia shouts; "I think the Bush adminstration and the "Rise of the Fundies" had a lot to do with it by snapping me out of my indifference." ////

Yeah, sue Bush and the Pope and their friends .....  destroy them .....

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.rationalresponders

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/13387

You should read that thread. I've experinced this a lot-xtians who deny having a religion. I think they think saying that will endear us to them.or something. Really it  just makes them look like they don't know what they're on about.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.