Is evolution the biggest 'fuck you' to christianity?

Ni9htmar3r
User is offlineOffline
Is evolution the biggest 'fuck you' to christianity?

Some theist told me evolution is the biggest 'fuck you' to christianity and so it has to be satanic

That got me wondering...what IS the biggest anyway? Proof that all life slowly changed over time? Or that the earth is much older than 6000 years old? Or that we didn't descend from 3 dudes after some supposed flood??

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
He obviously doesn't take

He obviously doesn't take into account that many christians apparently accept evolution and have incorporated it into their religion. Ironically, this shows how religion itself must evolve to survive in the face of advancing science.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, yes and no...

Only if they are of the 'it's all true, or all false' school of theism... Perhaps they haven't yet been told that the earth is not a flat disc either... nor is it the center of the universe.

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well it really depends on...

Which branch of christianity you are talking about, the catholic sect says evolution is all good, yet other that take the bible as literal say the evolution is wrong because it contradicts the bible. So it which branch of the christian faith is it that it's a big old fuck you? I don't know really, probably any orthodox, jehova witness, maybe mormon, a few baptists, umm many other most likely, but not to all of them.

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's funny how they think

It's funny how they think that anything which is too good to be true, is the work of the devil monster that they think really exists. Their brainwashed to believe something without any supporting evidence...And when a concept comes along with supporting evidence and indirect evidence, just blaim it on another fairy tale being who also has NO supporting evidences.

I think the biggest proof that life evolves and the universe is way older than 6000 years old can be seen just by looking up at the night sky. If we can see a galaxy that's a million light years away, then that crushes the 6000 years thing. And when you actually research on how they even got to the 6000 year estimate by tracing the past generations in the bible, it makes you laugh. (NEWS FLASH THEIST!!!! THE BIBLE ISN'T FACTUAL INFORMATION, DON'T PRETEND LIKE YOU DON'T KNOW WHO WROTE THE BIBLE)

One of the major blows I realize is the discovery of ALL THOSE PLANETS/MOONS & GALAXIES OUT THERE. Many atheist are afraid to speculate on the existance of other live existing somewhere else in the universe. But those who understand probability and numbers just know for certain that there's other life out there.

Some may call it 'Faith', but the Indirect Evidence just blows the notion out of the water. Why would a god create so much Space-Time for his sinful creations, lol.

Slimm,

Quote:
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called Insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called Religion." - Robert M. Pirsig,

Recrudescent
User is offlineOffline
Ni9htmar3r wrote:Some theist

Ni9htmar3r wrote:

Some theist told me evolution is the biggest 'fuck you' to christianity and so it has to be satanic

That got me wondering...what IS the biggest anyway? Proof that all life slowly changed over time? Or that the earth is much older than 6000 years old? Or that we didn't descend from 3 dudes after some supposed flood??

Hahaha.....a poignant if somewhat impolite question. Evolution definitely threatened some traditional and historical Christian beliefs about the nature of the world, which prompted many Christians to either abandon or modify those beliefs. Religions may be retarding forces in human development, but they do change. Consider the amazing fact that just a few centuries ago the vast majority of people in the Western world thought that the Earth was only a few thousand years old.....or that animals and plants never changed....or that our planet was the center of the Universe. You get the point. Our ideas about the natural world have changed profoundly. If I had to give the biggest 'f you' to Christianity, or any other religion for that matter, I would probably say it was the idea that the Earth was not at the center of the Universe. This discovery was something of a humbling experience for humanity because it challenged our importance. The geocentric ideas of old have now been replaced by the 'Pale Blue Dot' swooshing through the vast chasms of space. It's kind of a sobering thought.

"The greatest conquests, the ones that leave no regrets, are those wrested from ignorance." - Napoleon

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christianity has survived

Christianity has survived Copernicus, Galileo, Newton, and Einstein.  Why wouldn't it survive Darwin, Watson, and Crick?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

thinktank
thinktank's picture
User is offlineOffline
Its not our fault that Jesus

Its not our fault that Jesus didn't know what he was talking about.

Coopaloop
Coopaloop's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would have to say nearly

I would have to say nearly all science leads to a big slap in christianity's face. When I used to believe I always thought about the possibilities of other intelligent organisms on other planets and how hard that would be for christianity to explain. If we ever discover other life I think that will be the hardest for them to explain but until then I would have to say evolution is their big "Fuck You".

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Pallas
Pallas's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would think the fact that

I would think the fact that jesus didn't come back in 2000 years kinda fucked their story a bit...

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I would think the fact

Quote:
I would think the fact that jesus didn't come back in 2000 years kinda fucked their story a bit...

You would think that, wouldn't you?  Then again, have you noticed that every failing in the bible is explained by some vagary of some prophetic sounding jibber-jabber?  Evolution fucks up the whole 6000 years thing?  That's ok... Each day of creation is a metaphor for one epoch of geological time.  Jesus didn't come back before the generation was up?  That's ok.  By generation, he meant "age" as in, the current age of the world.. you know.. the one after I came to earth.  So, when I come back, that'll be the end of the age, which is the same as a generation.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
 I WANT Pallas ! ..... damn

I WANT Pallas ! ..... damn you got cute brains ! btw , I AM jesus !  The xians just don't get it ......  can I call you mary magdalen ?    ..... Please ....      

Yaerav
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Either science or religion itself

On a Dutch forum I frequent, the resident atheists got a couple of overly conservative xtians to extending their crusade from against evolution to against science as a whole, so I'd say they would find "science" to be this "fuck you" Eye-wink

But seriously, I'd say that their biggest fu, more then anything else, are other religions. And vice-versa of course.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I would think the fact

Quote:

...At some point, didn't a guy convince a whole bunch of people that the rapture was imminent and get them all to stand on their rooftops or something, waiting to be whisked away? If you don't feel stupid and embarassed enough to ditch your faith after doing that with no payoff, I think it's safe to say that you're well beyond the point of no return as far as buying into evidence is concerned.

I'd argue that there is no real 'fuck you' to religion (well, beyond literally saying, "Fuck you, religion!&quotEye-wink, because religion is the great and almighty irrational 'fuck you'. Evidence says that this story is the Bible is rediculous? Fuck you, evidence - that story was just an allegory anyway. Science says that it wants evidence for my belief? Fuck you, science - God is beyond human understanding! You want to have pre-marital sex? You want to endorse abortion? You want to do shit on Sunday, aside from going to mass? You have sexual feelings for people of the same gender? Fuck you, and fuck whatever arguments or 'logic' is behind you, too. You're of the devil, and you're going to Hell.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:At some point, didn't

Quote:

At some point, didn't a guy convince a whole bunch of people that the rapture was imminent and get them all to stand on their rooftops or something, waiting to be whisked away?

They're at it all the time. Even as we speak there are a few shamefaced members of the True Russian Orthodox Church sidling homewards after months of holing themselves up in a cave waiting for the world to end (the prediction is May, so still time to place a bet).

I notice that the leader hedged his own bets - well, in a way. If the scheduled doomsday doesn't materialise he has enough dynamite, he says, to make his prophecy come true, at least for himself and the cave dwellers.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
thinktank wrote:Its not our

thinktank wrote:

Its not our fault that Jesus didn't know what he was talking about.

Lets be accurate about it. It is not our fault the 40 plus authors of the bible were ignorant about science, and on top of that took over 1,000 years to settle on a canonized version, with books left out. There is no evidence that a man name Jesus ever existed. And even if one were to assume, for argument's sake only, he did, it still wouldn't constitute the hocus pokus of his birth or death as being valid claims.

There is no such thing as "god sperm" or evidence of zombie gods rising from the dead after 3 days.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Pallas wrote:I would think

Pallas wrote:

And isn't there a passage in the bible that says that their generation shall not pass without the "predictions" coming true?

I can't see how anyone with half a brain can't see that that work of fiction was written for the people of that time.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Mazid the Raider
Rational VIP!Science Freak
Mazid the Raider's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I skipped most of the thread :D

But, isn't ALL reality the biggest "fuck you" to christianity possible? I mean, seriously, could there be a bigger FU than "No, none of that happened, and it never will." Laughing out loud

"But still I am the Cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me!" ~Rudyard Kipling

Mazid the Raider says: I'd rather face the naked truth than to go "augh, dude, put some clothes on or something" and hand him some God robes, cause you and I know that the naked truth is pale, hairy, and has an outie
Entomophila says: Ew. AN outie

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote: I

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

I WANT Pallas !     

I'm afraid the Maiden Athena never took a lover. Sorry, iGod.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm just laughing at the two

I'm just laughing at the two incredibly alike pictures.Will is quite the impersonist.

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ditto...

Mazid the Raider wrote:

But, isn't ALL reality the biggest "fuck you" to christianity possible? I mean, seriously, could there be a bigger FU than "No, none of that happened, and it never will." Laughing out loud

Virgin Birth (Yep, uh huh sure and the check really is in the mail, I didn't know she was your sister, honest...)

Mass Healings (at least of people he bumped into...) Nah.

Raising the Dead (ok, one guy and it was his girlfriends brother...)

Feeding a football stadium with a can of tuna and a loaf of bread... (my ex-mother in law was a wiz at stretching food, but day-um!)

Unexplaned Darkness during lynching (uhhhh no)

Zombie Prophets buggalooing through Jeruselum during lynching. (nope)

The Temple Veil tearing in two. (nope)

Raising self from the dead (not likely)

Flying off into the sky... (ok, this is the one that cinches it for me, but nobody makes much of an issue of it... it says, in the book, that he ascended (freekin' FLEW) into the clouds!)

All in all, the bible's reality check bounced...

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
I think the biggest "fuck

I think the biggest "fuck you" to the bible is bible itself. All those great stories:

1. Universe created in 7 days (And when i try to get something done it takes a month just to get the workers started)

2. Adam and Eve started the current almost 7bill population (A lot of incest sex)

3. Noah's ark (Must have been a lot of watter Laughing out loud and of course yet some more incest sex)

4. Great escape from Egypt (I would find it handy to divide watter if i would ever get stuck on an island)

5. 40 Years in the desert (I wonder if manna tastes something like chicken)

6. David vs. Goliath (Wikipedia tell that according to some sources Goliath was 9 feet and 6 inches. I wonder why it's not a world record - bible never lies Laughing out loud )

Ok enough of the old testament, lets ravish jesus:

7. Virgin birth (And they are against artificial insemination - thats as close as it get to a virgin birth)

8. Healing sick (Only poor amputees never healed Sad )

9. Resurrecting the dead (I hope he wasn't autopsied - remember Jesus didn't heal cuts)

10. Turning watter to wine (I bet he was life of the party)

11. Making some fish (Even better, i always run out of snacks)

12. Being dead for 3 days and then resurrected (He just can't play fair. Jews just had no chance to kill him.)

13. Ascension (Superman could fly too - no big deal)

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline

Ni9htmar3r wrote:

Good for him.  Let's see what he thinks of evolution the next time he falls sick and needs medical care.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pallas wrote:I would think

Pallas wrote:

Since Jesus said he was coming back while some of those at the time were still alive, I think 2000 years is a little bit of a stretch. His voicemail greeting is a wee bit out of date. "Hi, you've reached the hut of Jesus of Nazereth. I'm out of the corporeal planet until the second coming of Me, which is currently scheduled within your lifetime. Please leave your name, number, and a brief supplication, and I'll return your grace as soon as possible."

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Ni9htmar3r
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:Ni9htmar3r

zarathustra wrote:

Ni9htmar3r wrote:

Good for him.  Let's see what he thinks of evolution the next time he falls sick and needs medical care.

I actually did try that. He demanded to know where exactly in modern medicine is evolution applied. He then laughed at me for being a dumbass. Sheesh

magilum
User is offlineOffline

Ni9htmar3r wrote:

The biggest "fuck you" to Christians has been a literalism which places them at odds with civilization. Once they categorize the bible as metaphoric, etc., they free themselves of the burden of defending ground that's already been decidedly lost.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Ni9htmar3r wrote:I actually

Ni9htmar3r wrote:

I actually did try that. He demanded to know where exactly in modern medicine is evolution applied. He then laughed at me for being a dumbass. Sheesh

The first two that pop to mind are the annual flu shots and of course the fight against HIV.  However, use of evolutionary theory is rampant in medical care.  I'm sure Deludedgod could expland quite a bit on the matter.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci