Truth and Lies

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Truth and Lies

Why is it that of the two categories (believers and non-believers of supernatural things), it's non-believers who get so much more upset about truth and lies? Shouldn't those who believe in a possible future of hellfire (or other magic) have more incentive to tell the truth?

I mean, look at us! All we do in these debates with theists is tell them if they're being honest or not. Beyond that, it's pretty much noise. Why oh why is it not more important to someone who is subject to constant magical surveillance?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Definition of Truth

I think the problem resides with theist definitions of truth. Their "ultimate truth" does not conform to reason, but faith that God is the ultimate truth. His word is truth, things happen for a reason we cannot understand, and he and only he knows that truth. We do not and cannot access that truth, but it is there, and when we get to heaven it will be revealed. The ultimate revelation of "Truth" will be known and this waste of time on Earth does not necessitate acknowledging empirical truth because Man's truth does not even come close to comparing with God's truth. Pretty simple really.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
.... "in this sense I

.... "in this sense I am a deeply religious man" , said (basically atheist) Einstein.  

Yeah,  HeyZ...,  a helpful analogy there ....  "love (understand) the enemy said another ...... 

Then he went on to smash the church temple !        

.....  shit but it is not funny  

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well religion is lying to

Well religion is lying to yourself in the hopes the your lies will become the truth.

So, religious people keep two sets of books, their religious beliefs and their real beliefs. Somehow they think they are going to fool the all knowing god about not having any doubts when they can't even fool other people.

But that's always the way lying works, you think you can get away with it, even with god. You also don't think your lies are as bad as anyone else's. It's just a problem humans have of looking at yourself objectively.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:So, religious

EXC wrote:

So, religious people keep two sets of books, their religious beliefs and their real beliefs. Somehow they think they are going to fool the all knowing god about not having any doubts when they can't even fool other people.

I guess it really does just come down to cognitive dissonance, but it bothers me that people decide on a specific set of things to not question, and then bug other people about it like they've really done some research. Annoying.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:EXC

HisWillness wrote:

EXC wrote:

I guess it really does just come down to cognitive dissonance, but it bothers me that people decide on a specific set of things to not question, and then bug other people about it like they've really done some research. Annoying.

Damn straight. I want to say to people, would you debate physics having never opened a pyhsics textbook?Of course not. So what in Darwin's name makes you think you are automatically qualified to argue against something like evolution like you've devoted your life to studying it?

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:So what in

Loc wrote:

So what in Darwin's name makes you think you are automatically qualified to argue against something like evolution like you've devoted your life to studying it?

You know, this is something that I find highly amusing.  You can always win an evolution argument easily.  That's because the only people that argue against evolution are the ones that understand nothing about it.  It's rather pathetic. 

Entertaining.   But pathetic.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci