Selling human organs...yes or no?

jonasnz1
User is offlineOffline
Selling human organs...yes or no?

""A friend of mine"" wink-nod.

Has been diagnosed with emphysema which has no cure, and is progressive.

He will eventually be debilitated, and finally die of the onslaught of the disease.

This person has been given a chance to sell a kidney for a very substantial sum. (which could be used to cushion the loss of this person by loved ones.)

Also there is the fact that he can help someone live beyond his own reduced lifespan.

The risk of such a transaction, is that with the loss of one kidney, if the other becomes deteriorated in some way, that there is no backup organ for it.

Also legalities could come into play.

The fact is that this person is already terminal, should he be allowed to effect such a transaction?

I personally feel, that since the person is already terminal, why the hell not?

It gives the person a last chance to make a substantial contribution to his family.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think anyone who can make

I think anyone who can make an informed decision can do whatever the hell they want with their body, including sell off bits. Even if that sale will potentially (or, for that matter, outright) terminate his or her life, and I don't see a need for an "already going to die" qualification.

I'm not sure, but I don't think the law (here in the USA at any rate) agrees with me, though.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

jonasnz1
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote: I don't

JillSwift wrote:

I don't see a need for an "already going to die" qualification.

I'm not sure, but I don't think the law (here in the USA at any rate) agrees with me, though.

No, not legal...

As far as the "already going to die" qualification.

The concern is that if you develop related illness, that you could be a drain on resources "government, or insurance"

So I can see the requirement.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
jonasnz1 wrote:As far as the

jonasnz1 wrote:
As far as the "already going to die" qualification.

The concern is that if you develop related illness, that you could be a drain on resources "government, or insurance"

So I can see the requirement.

Good point - you're thinking more broadly than I was.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray