Redshifts as Challenge to Big Bang Cosmology

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
Redshifts as Challenge to Big Bang Cosmology

Okay, so I've recently stumbled upon Halton Arp's book Seeing Red: Redshifts, Cosmology and Academic Science. I wonder if any of you astrophysics-minded types know anything about it.

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not sure exactly what the

Not sure exactly what the argument is, but red-shit is actually very strong evidence for the big bang. Red-shift (a Doppler effect - light is shifted toward the infrared, just as the sound a speeding train makes lowers in pitch as it moves away from you at speed) tells us that galaxies and other distant objects are moving away from one another at speeds directly proportional to their distance - a direct prediction of big bang cosmology, otherwise known as Hubble's Law. Combined with other empirical evidence it makes the big bang pretty hard to deny.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Arp's work is not well

Arp's work is not well accepted. I believe the basis for his arguments is flawed. Some cranks interpret the rejection of his works  as 'censorship'.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: Arp's work

todangst wrote:

Arp's work is not well accepted. I believe the basis for his arguments is flawed. Some cranks interpret the rejection of his works  as 'censorship'.

Well, he's only listed as "cranky" on crank.net. That's better than illucid, I guess.

http://www.crank.net/astronomy.html

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
I guessed that he would show

I guessed that he would show up on crank.net. There's a snippet on him on wiki as well.

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
The link on crank.net led me

The link on crank.net led me to this website. However, it appears to be an affirmation of Arp's theory, not a refutation. Is there a refutation online of his theories?

Quote:
Arp's work is not well accepted. I believe the basis for his arguments is flawed. Some cranks interpret the rejection of his works as 'censorship'.
What is the flaw?

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Insidium Profundis

Insidium Profundis wrote:
The link on crank.net led me to this website. However, it appears to be an affirmation of Arp's theory, not a refutation. Is there a refutation online of his theories?
Quote:
Arp's work is not well accepted. I believe the basis for his arguments is flawed. Some cranks interpret the rejection of his works as 'censorship'.
What is the flaw?

From Wiki:

Arp's hypothesis is that quasars or quasi-stellar objects (QSO's) are local objects ejected from the core of active galactic nuclei (AGN). The theory was originally proposed in the 1960's as an alternative to Maarten Schmidt's explanation for QSO's, which stated that they were very distant galaxies that appeared to be highly redshifted because of the expansion of the universe.[1] The implication of the hypothesis was that most of the observed redshift of these QSO's must have a non-cosmological or "intrinsic" origin. Arp has suggested that the QSO emission may instead be ejecta from active galactic nuclei. Nearby galaxies with both strong radio emission and peculiar morphologies, particularly M87 and Centaurus A, appeared to support Arp's hypothesis.[2] In his books, Arp has provided his reasons for believing that the Big Bang theory itself is wrong, citing his research into QSO's. Instead, Arp supports the redshift quantization theory for describing the redshifts of galaxies.[3]

Since Arp originally proposed his theories in the 1960's, however, telescopes and astronomical instrumentation have advanced greatly; the Hubble Space Telescope was launched, multiple 8-10 meter telescopes (such as those at Keck Observatory) have become operational, and detectors such as CCDs are now more widely used. These new telescopes and new instrumentation have been used to examine QSO's further. QSO's are now generally accepted to be very distant galaxies with high redshifts. Moreover, many objects that are high-redshift counterparts to normal nearby galaxies have been identified in many imaging surveys, most notably the Hubble Deep Field.[4] Moreover, the spectra of the high-redshift galaxies, as seen from X-ray to radio wavelengths, match the spectra of nearby galaxies (particularly galaxies with high levels of star formation activity but also galaxies with normal or extinguished star formation activity) when corrected for redshift effects.[5][6][7]

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Yellow, I know you probably

Yellow, I know you probably just missed a key while typing, but it just struck me as funny reading "red shit is actually pretty strong evidence for the big bang." Actually red shit would be vry strong evidence for a serious digestive disorder. Laughing out loud

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team