Theist
User is offlineOffline

MrGawn
Rational VIP!
MrGawn's picture
User is offlineOffline
maybe this will help?

maybe this will help? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMHNnhAEDN4

i always loved carl sagan. and the video and moving pictures help the theists to understand 

I am the radical and variable to counter act on your alpha and omega! The One True Juggernaut, and. . . I WILL BASH AND CUT DOWN THOSE THAT CANNOT BE TAUGHT!!!

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
rr are religous bigots

rr are religous bigots wrote:
Does anyone know of a link that shows the detailed evolutionary steps of all species?

Evolutionary steps of species may be found individually through whomever is studying that actual species.  You would have to search through countless scientific journals.  For example, I can lead you in the right direction on certain specifics regarding the evolution of erythrocyte binding ligands on the malaria parasites and the evolutionary developement of various species of Plasmodium, based on genetic homology.  

But to have detailed evolutionary accounts in one link? I think you are asking for an encyclopedia of information.  I can send you to a specific detailed account of human evolution, however

www.becominghuman.org 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

AL
User is offlineOffline
Detailed evolutionary steps

Detailed evolutionary steps for ALL species?  And I suppose that since this cannot be done, you'd like us to dismiss evolution.

Tell me, do you know of any scientist who has proven that gravity will always work all the time and in all places?  And can you find me a website that shows every object in the universe and its gravitational attraction to every other object in the universe?  Since this can't be done, there is no reason for you to take gravity seriously.  I'm guessing you wouldn't mind if I shoved you off a tall cliff?

If atheism is a religion, why am I paying taxes?

Believer (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
There is a God

I listen when you all say about there are facts and this and that, but the plain truth is that there IS a God. I feel bad that you do not believe in him and I can do nothing but pray that you find him someday because he is looking for you. But have you ever heard of scientists searching for the clothing of Jesus. They found it. The Bible is the facts and God is where life form came from. Believe what you want to believe, but God is very real and should not be shut down by anyone. I hope that you find him in time, and then maybe you will understand the power and experiece real love and come one step closer to redemption. I will be praying for all those who do not believe and are so scared of a higher power that they choose to find a scientific reason to explain things. But like i said, there is proof, it's called a Bible, I encourage you to read one.

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
If the bible is the proof,

If the bible is the proof, then surely there would be verification that it is the truth from outside the bible.  So, where is this external verification? 

I suspect this to be a drive-by prostetylising, so despite there being much more I can say in response I shall instead leave things there with that one question which by all means should be very simple for him to answer if what he says has any accuracy to it.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Believer wrote:I listen when

Believer wrote:

I listen when you all say about there are facts and this and that, but the plain truth is that there IS a God.

No there isn't.

Believer wrote:

I feel bad that you do not believe in him and I can do nothing but pray that you find him someday because he is looking for you.

So you're going to do nothing but close your eyes and talk to yourself?  Urhm...ok.  Let me know how that works out for you.

Believer wrote:

But have you ever heard of scientists searching for the clothing of Jesus. They found it.

WTF?  Actually no, I haven't heard of that.  Hell, I can't even find most of my socks.  How the hell did they find 2000 year old clothing and how the hell could they tell it was worn by a specific person?  Was the name Jesus Christ written on the underwear?

Believer wrote:

The Bible is the facts and God is where life form came from.

*Ahem*  Have you read the bible?  It's retarded.

Believer wrote:

Believe what you want to believe, but God is very real and should not be shut down by anyone.

Believe what you want to believe, but the Flying Spaghetti Monster is very real and should not be shut down by anyone.

Believer wrote:

I hope that you find him in time, and then maybe you will understand the power and experiece real love and come one step closer to redemption.

*sniff*  Very touching.

Believer wrote:

I will be praying for all those who do not believe and are so scared of a higher power that they choose to find a scientific reason to explain things.

Scared?  Why would anyone be scared?  I believed in god for around 30 years.  I didn't stop believing because I got "scared".  I stopped believing because I couldn't keep rationalizing away that retarded shit.

Believer wrote:

But like i said, there is proof, it's called a Bible, I encourage you to read one.

Ok.  Let's read the bible...

“But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.” – the loving Jesus Christ - Luke 19:27

There are so many contradictions and absurdities in the bible it makes Harry Potter seem more plausible.  It says that bats are birds, that rabbits chew cud, and that insects have four legs.  God can do anything, yet he can not look on sin, nor forgive us unless Jesus suffered a grisly fate for our sins.  God knows everything yet he asks questions all the time in the bible.  Job 1:7 And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou?

Job 21:24 His breasts are full of milk,…    Urhm….what?

Job 39:9 Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by the crib?   A freaking unicorn.

Actually just read the entire book of Job.  Satan and God act like good buddies making bets on how faithful Job is to God.  God lets the devil slaughter his entire family as a test.  But that’s unusual.  Usually good ol’ god did all the slaughter.  Man, woman, and child.  Entire cities and nations. 

Do you ever stop and really think about this crap?  Well I did.  I thought about it for 6 years.  It is a pathetic and hatefilled fiction.  Telling you to stone people for working on the Sabbath or if your kid doesn’t listen to you.  Put this person to death and that person to death.  And before you go blabbing that Jesus overturned the laws of the Old Testament, “Matthew 5:17-18 Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets.  I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.  For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

It looks like you're the one that needs to read the bible.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Believer wrote:I listen when

Believer wrote:
I listen when you all say about there are facts and this and that, but the plain truth is that there IS a God.

Favourite argument for the existence of God so far. Man, we're so lame with all our facts about this and that.

Believer wrote:
I feel bad that you do not believe in him and I can do nothing but pray that you find him someday because he is looking for you.

I hope you find him, too. Presumably your meeting with him wasn't in person, but through an "experience" of closeness and revelation. If you shake his almighty hand, let us know.

Believer wrote:
.Believe what you want to believe, but God is very real and should not be shut down by anyone.

If God were real, I doubt it would be possible to shut him down. It would also be harder for rational people to not believe in him. Because there he'd be: real.

Believer wrote:
I hope that you find him in time, and then maybe you will understand the power and experiece real love and come one step closer to redemption. I will be praying for all those who do not believe and are so scared of a higher power that they choose to find a scientific reason to explain things. But like i said, there is proof, it's called a Bible, I encourage you to read one.

First, if the "power" is like the power of the dark side, where I can shoot lightning from my hands and get to use a red light saber, I'm in. Second, how would it even be possible to fear something you don't believe in?

I have proof, too. It's called "no God showing up."

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Believer

Watcher wrote:

Believer wrote:

But have you ever heard of scientists searching for the clothing of Jesus. They found it.

WTF?  Actually no, I haven't heard of that.  Hell, I can't even find most of my socks.  How the hell did they find 2000 year old clothing and how the hell could they tell it was worn by a specific person?  Was the name Jesus Christ written on the underwear?

Oh yeah, I remember that. It was written on his long johns, but it was spelled with an H.

Visual_Paradox
atheistRational VIP!Special Agent
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
rr are religous bigots

rr are religous bigots wrote:
Does anyone know of a link that shows the detailed evolutionary steps of all species? 

Humanity hasn't even found all extant species, let alone extinct ones, let alone sequenced all the pertinent genes. You're asking for the impossible. If you thought for just a second before posting you would've known this. With two, perhaps three seconds you would've known that your logically fallacious argument from ignorance, in the guise of a rhetorical question, would not go unnoticed.

For those who are actually curious about the structure of the tree of life: http://www.tolweb.org/tree/

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes!

Anonymouser (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Evolution

Hey guys,

Of course I accept evolution but I have a quesiton that I've been playing around with. How did the first species that had to eat to survive identify that uncomfortable feeling as hunger?...and then identify hunger with putting something in their mouth and swallowing it?

User is offlineOffline
Watcher

Watcher, I doubt if you were ever a serious believer due to your lack of education whe it comes to the bible. It looks like you have merely traded one form of blind acceptance for another. The passages you have quoted read like a cut and paste from an Athiest website...maybe you should actually read the passages you are quoting?

“But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.” – the loving Jesus Christ - Luke 19:27

Is there like an Athiest website that uses this passages because I see so many of you using it completley out of context...this is a parable buddy. It is not Jesus speaking in first person...he is speaking as a king...what do kings do to their enemies...they kill them. I can't take any of your claims about the Bible seriously because you obviously haven't done your own research...you have just accepted someone elses conclusions...again.

“Matthew 5:17-18 Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets.  I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.  For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled."

Hmmm what do you suppose this means. This is a nother great one that Athiests quote wihtout acutally knowing what it means. Read the book of Matthew and use your rationality.When read together with Jesus' own teachings elsewhere in the book of Matthew where he is quite clear about a change or new perspective toward the law...what do you think this means? I'll let you do the leg work and maybe you can try to figure it out. It may be a good exercise for you in forming an opinion of your own.

It looks like you're the one who needs to read the Bible.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouser wrote:Hey

Anonymouser wrote:

Hey guys,

Of course I accept evolution but I have a quesiton that I've been playing around with. How did the first species that had to eat to survive identify that uncomfortable feeling as hunger?...and then identify hunger with putting something in their mouth and swallowing it?

By the time life evolved to the point where it could be classified as a species their biological processes were quite similar to ours.

But I suspect you are actually asking how did the first life forms know they were hungry. If this is the case, the first life forms didn't have a nervous system and did not "know" anything. They were more like complex chemo-mechanical units.

A species is one of the basic units of biological classification and a taxonomic rank.

While this definition is adequate, more precise or differing measures are often used based on similarity of DNA or morphology.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouser wrote: ...you

Anonymouser wrote:
...you have just accepted someone elses conclusions...again.
Oh the irony! Eye-wink

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouser wrote:Watcher, I

Anonymouser wrote:

Watcher, I doubt if you were ever a serious believer due to your lack of education whe it comes to the bible. It looks like you have merely traded one form of blind acceptance for another. The passages you have quoted read like a cut and paste from an Athiest website...maybe you should actually read the passages you are quoting?

Is there like an Athiest website that uses this passages because I see so many of you using it completley out of context...this is a parable buddy. It is not Jesus speaking in first person...he is speaking as a king...what do kings do to their enemies...they kill them. I can't take any of your claims about the Bible seriously because you obviously haven't done your own research...you have just accepted someone elses conclusions...again.

“Matthew 5:17-18 Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets.  I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.  For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled."

Hmmm what do you suppose this means. This is a nother great one that Athiests quote wihtout acutally knowing what it means. Read the book of Matthew and use your rationality.When read together with Jesus' own teachings elsewhere in the book of Matthew where he is quite clear about a change or new perspective toward the law...what do you think this means? I'll let you do the leg work and maybe you can try to figure it out. It may be a good exercise for you in forming an opinion of your own.

It looks like you're the one who needs to read the Bible.

Because it's so good to kill if you're a king, and so wrong to kill if you're a person. Never mind the fact that a king is a person...

*Rolls eyes*

Read it yourself.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

User is offlineOffline
Conveniently missing the point

"Because it's so good to kill if you're a king, and so wrong to kill if you're a person. Never mind the fact that a king is a person..."

Ummm. I think you might be missing the point of the parable my friend. The message of the parable by any reading is clearly not that kings should kill people. READ IT. Of course you can stick to your guns despite the correction...but that doesn't make you right. Quite simply you may have a number of legitimate concerns about what you see as unreasonable in the bible...my only point is that you should probably remove this biblical quote from your list of things that show Jesus to be in some way endorsing violence.

Futhermmore, I think that (unless you are a pacifist) you probably DO believe that State sanctioned violence is okay in certain circumstances whereas civilians do not have the licence to use violence? Again, I don't think this is what Christ was getting at when he told this parable but even your counterargument/one-liner is irrelevant.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouser wrote:"Because

Anonymouser wrote:

"Because it's so good to kill if you're a king, and so wrong to kill if you're a person. Never mind the fact that a king is a person..."

Ummm. I think you might be missing the point of the parable my friend. The message of the parable by any reading is clearly not that kings should kill people. READ IT. Of course you can stick to your guns despite the correction...but that doesn't make you right. Quite simply you may have a number of legitimate concerns about what you see as unreasonable in the bible...my only point is that you should probably remove this biblical quote from your list of things that show Jesus to be in some way endorsing violence.

Futhermmore, I think that (unless you are a pacifist) you probably DO believe that State sanctioned violence is okay in certain circumstances whereas civilians do not have the licence to use violence? Again, I don't think this is what Christ was getting at when he told this parable but even your counterargument/one-liner is irrelevant.

I actually almost never use the bible. I can, but it makes things too easy. In fact, I can take this and run in a completely different direction than I did in my last post(with equal or greater damage to your comments), but I don't see much point in doing so. I'm not fighting jesus, who didn't exist, so why bother? I'm fighting the christians(and other theists, but this argument is focussing on jesus) who have warped history and reality.

Incidentally, I do not believe any state has a greater authority than any individual. If a state has the right to kill, then so does the civillian. Whether the state likes it or not is almost totally irrelevant. The same works in vice versa. If an individual can rightly kill, than so can the state. 

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.