Proofs of Evolution

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
Proofs of Evolution

Evolution is both a fact and a theory. It's ashame that theory is so often confused with a claim yet to be proven, ignorance like this is inexcusable. The data to prove that evolution is occuring, is all around us. The theory or mechanism in which it occurs is being discussed by the worlds best scientists everyday.

Here is a small list of Evolutionary references I've compiled:

29 Evidences for MACROEVOLUTION.

A great summation of evolution.

A rebuttal to someone who doesn't understand evolution.

On Observed Speciation and Speciation Models:

Salamanders and Songbirds

More details on the salamanders, with additional links

London mosquitos

Another article on Himalayan song birds

Speciation by reinforcement

Lots of examples here

More examples

Speciation models

Links on examples and models

More on the London mosquitos

Ringed-speciation model and examples, plus links

In Drosophila (fruit flies)

On Behavior, Reciprocal Altruism and the Evolution of Behavior:

Behavior models (registration required)

The Origins of Right and Wrong in Humans and Other Animals

Chimps show sense of fair play

Genes, altruism and evolution (with more links)

Reciprocal altruism

Kin selection and reciprocal altruism

On the Evolution of “Complexity”

Biochemistry

Evolution of human intellect and diet

Evolution of language

Music and the relation to language (registration required)

Evolution of religious memes

Bacteria flagella

Avida – Digital evolution

More on the evolution of religion

Complex evolution in the laboratory

The eye

YouTube Video on Eye Evolution.

The brain

In Scientific Reality,

Mike (Yellow Number 5)
The Rational Response Squad Scientist

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

hellfiend666
Rational VIP!
hellfiend666's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think the miscoceptions

I think the miscoceptions come from ignorance of scientific method.  If you've got an idea that seems plausable but hasn't been thoroughly tested, you've got a hypothosis.  If your hypothosis has yielded positive proof through testing, yet there are too many factors to declare it absolute (meaning the same with every occurance), you've got a theory.  If that theory proves itself to be unchanging no matter the circumstances, you've got a law.  Hence the difference between the "theory" of evolution and the "law" of gravity.  Gravity is gravity is gravity, it has very specific traits and always folows them.  Evolution is chaos in action, for the most part, it changes with species, environment, and interaction with both.  More people need to familiarize themselves with these basic precepts of science.

The darkness of godlessness lets wisdom shine.

MrGawn
Rational VIP!
MrGawn's picture
User is offlineOffline
hellfiend666 wrote: I think

hellfiend666 wrote:
I think the miscoceptions come from ignorance of scientific method. If you've got an idea that seems plausable but hasn't been thoroughly tested, you've got a hypothosis. If your hypothosis has yielded positive proof through testing, yet there are too many factors to declare it absolute (meaning the same with every occurance), you've got a theory. If that theory proves itself to be unchanging no matter the circumstances, you've got a law. Hence the difference between the "theory" of evolution and the "law" of gravity.
well, can you present me a "circumstancial time" that evolution hasnt worked? i mean, you make it sound like evolution has no guide lines. . .

I am the radical and variable to counter act on your alpha and omega! The One True Juggernaut, and. . . I WILL BASH AND CUT DOWN THOSE THAT CANNOT BE TAUGHT!!!

hellfiend666
Rational VIP!
hellfiend666's picture
User is offlineOffline
Evolution has very little in

Evolution has very little in the way of guidelines, it's very random and chaotic. As for a time it didn't work, where are the Neanderthals? Evolution didn't seem to work out so well for them. Or how about Carcharadon Megalodon, or the Tasmanian Tiger, or any number of species now exticnt because evolution worked them into a corner they couldn't get out of.  All because they became too specialized for a certain type of environment and when their environment changed, they couldn't adapt quickly enough and therefore went extinct. Note that I'm not including Dinosaurs, that was a freak cosmic accident, or the Dodo, that was our stupidity. If you want more examples, just let me know.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
Suffice it to say, you’re

Suffice it to say, you’re both wrong and both right.

Gravity is a law - as well as a theory and a fact; much like evolution is.

We can express how gravity works in a very simple equation: the force of gravity is the product of the masses in question, divided by their product in respect to the gravitational constant. That’s all well and good. That’s the LAW of gravitation. There is also the theory of gravitation that endeavors to explain why matter has mass and gravitational force. There is also the fact of gravitation that explains why it hurts when I hold a brick over your head and drop it.

Evolution is not simple enough at the moment to be described in a single equation as gravity is - hence evolution is not a law. However, the theory of evolution explains the facts that we observe in a coherent, scientific, evidenced based and logical manner. That life changes over time is the FACT of evolution, the theory of natural selection explains these simple facts.

Please endeavor to understand the differences between these terminologies. A theory is not subservient to a law - they are fundamentally different things.

Please give this a listen:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=592&start=0

It's the "Mailbag Response: Dissent from an atheist" in the front page Flam player.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

hellfiend666
Rational VIP!
hellfiend666's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe I just didn't expalin

Maybe I just didn't expalin my self clearly enough.  I was trying to put it in a nutshell, more or less, but you just said exactly what I meant.