Review and improve my debunking of my gf`s whacko brother
Here is an actual email from him:
Dear sister Sue,
God is good. What an answer to prayer we are seeing regarding Mom's care and progress!
Forgive me for rambling on a bit this evening about an approach to the discovering the truth through the window of the marvelous order that we see in the world around and within us. That discourse is not something that can be just blurted out on a cell phone conversation. We need a very methodical, ordered way of thinking about the evidence God has placed within our grasp, so that we may "be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear" (1 Peter 3:15).
Just for the sake of ordering our thoughts, here are some great questions to ask someone who believes in evolution:
1. Why do you believe in the theory of evolution? (Not why do you refuse to believe intelligent design. Don't be sidetracked with objections to the alternative to evolution.)
2. What is the best scientific evidence you have that supports the theory of evolution? Please don't be vague (Don't be satisfied with vague answers like "because of biology and fossils." Try to get specific examples of why they believe it).
3. Do you realize the evolution model for origins violates the laws of science? (See chart below.)
4. What scientific laws do you know that support the theory of evolution?
5. How did life originate?
6. Do you believe in spontaneous generation?
7. How did energy originate?
8. How did mass originate?
9. Is everything from design or accident?
10. What caused everything?
11. Is there a cause?
SCIENTIFIC LAW CREATION MODEL EVOLUTION MODEL
1st Law of Thermodynamics Agrees Contradicts
2nd Law of Thermodynamics Agrees Contradicts
Biogenesis Agrees Contradicts
Cause and Effect Agrees Contradicts
Here are my answers - please help me improve on them.
1. I believe in the theory of evolution because it is the best rational fit for the history of living things that science currently has. It makes verifiable predictions of species variation, and instances of evolution happening all around us can be readily observed. There is no alternate explanation that provides verifiable, repeatable evidence. Further, the vast vast vast majority of people that study evolution in detail, for a living, agree on it's validity due to these repeatable, verifiable evidence and prediction.
2. As mentioned above, I believe in evolution because it is the most rational explanation for why life is the way it is. It uses actual scientific observations and the scientific method to accurately predict and verify species variation. Further, following Occram's Razor, it is the most simple explanation for the above.
3. This question is completely wrong, and reflects your lack of knowledge. The first and second laws of thermodynamics are completely consistent with evolution. Biogenesis and Cause and Effect are not laws of science.
4. The first and second laws of thermodynamics, to mention a couple.
5. There are a number of explanations, none of which have been scientifically proven to an extent for me to espouse one. There are theories involving RNA clays, comets, lightning, etc. These all have reasonable basis in science, and we are looking for predictions and observations to verify or disprove them. Science is the ongoing pursuit of knowledge. The lack of a definite answer does not lend any credence to a supernatural being - rather, it is just a question not yet definitively answered yet.
6. I'm not 100% sure of the meaning of "spontaneous generation" - does this mean how did a digestive system, or an eye evolve? The fossil record shows such organs evolved over many generations as the organism survived and passed on its genes to the next generation. I need help here.
7 and 8. This is a leading question that assumes mass and energy were created. I think existance is axiomatic, and was not created from nothing. It has always been, and always will be, just as the laws of thermodynamics suggest. Science cannot currently describe the state or movement of energy/matter before the Big Bang, but I do know it was there. Again, there isn't any evidence that the Universe as we know it was created from nothing. There is evidence that it changed forms.
9. Again, this is a leading question giving only 2 possibilities. Rather than design (which there is no evidence of), or "accident", I vote for naturalistic and probable. If you flip a coin a million times, the chances of getting them all heads is very very small. However, if you try this experiment hundreds of trillions of times, you'll eventually get it done. Further, evolution suggests that only positive, life enriching traits are passed on to the next generation because the negative ones cause an early death and no offspring. It's a natural, verifiable, observable explanation.
10. This question is too broad to even approach. I guess the best answer is Natural Processes. What does this have to do with evolution? Further, this is yet another leading question, and a subset of #11, in that there has to be a cause to cause everything.
11. This question has nothing to do with evolution, and is a preceding question to #10.
Now, my questions for you:
1. Why does there have to be a cause?
2. Assuming a Creator, please explain auto-immune diseases, cancers and birth defects.
3. What non-biblical, scientifically verifiable evidence do you have that God, and not a pink unicorn, flying spaghetti monster, or other supernatural entity created the universe as we know it?
4. How can you prove the supernatural exists?
5. Why do you insist that the universe was created?
6. Does the absence of a precise answer for everything mean that an entire theory is invalid?
Please enrich, particularly, on #6, and maybe the questions to ask back. I respect him because he takes very good care of my g/f's mother, but he drives me absolutely fucking nuts every time I see him. He's spreading his bullshit every week to my g/f, and I can't say anything becasue I don't want to get in a fight in front of her old and ill mother.
I'm ready to take the gloves off because now he is converting my g/f back into a whackjob Christian again. I know that he is a lost cause, but I will not give up on my g/f, and right now, she's only hearing one side because I haven't opened up my mouth.
Thanks in advnace.
EDIT - Here's this guys website - http://quiettimepoems.blogspot.com/
"I retired from the U.S. Navy in 1997. More importantly, I trusted Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior in 1973 and will tell anyone about Him who will listen to the evidence that manifests Him to be the Savior of the world. I am currently employed as a visiting English Language Arts teacher in the San Diego City Schools District. I am especially interested in demonstrating the evidence that PROVES the Bible to be true, by honestly examining the accuracy of fulfilled prophecy (God has NEVER been wrong), the historical reality of the resurrection of Christ, the intelligent design evident in nature by which God has clearly illustrated His attributes, and an objective examination of the scientific validity of the Bible, whenever it speaks to issues of science (e.g., the Bible's claim that the stars were innumerable (Jeremiah 33:22) while astronomers in 150 A.D. said there were at most 3,000). A lot is riding on this, friends. God's promises of salvation are as valid as His promises of judgment. And you must decide which one you want to experience for all of your eternity... a long time to regret the wrong choice. Come to Christ today, while you may. -Matthew 11:28."
"Religion is like a badly written contract - most people don't read most (much less all) of it, believe what the other party says, and execute with the best of intentions and naivety."