The God Who Wasn't There Gets a MySpace Message (You Respond)

Susan
Susan's picture
Posts: 3561
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
The God Who Wasn't There Gets a MySpace Message (You Respond)

The God Who Wasn't There got a message on MySpace of which a copy was forwarded to me.

 I thought you all might want to respond.  The person has been notified that the message was posted here.

 

Quote:

FROM:      j. kiCkz

DATE:       May 5, 2007 1:33 AM

SUBJECT:  No Subject

you've got to be kidding me right...ever heard of historicity, Jesus Christ did exist due to historians THAT WEREN'T EVEN CHRISTIAN MIND YOU verifying his existence and crucifixion...what really pissed me off is that it seems like u tryin' to put this film as the savior of America, don't get me wrong some far right bastards are misusin' the name of christ to get some backing from all the hicks in the fuckin' midwest...but to put the whole idea that christ never existed is fuckin' retarded...but whatever makes you sleep at night homie...and u really believe what u puttin' out there then please respond back and give me some points on "why God never existed" and how he's a figment of the imagination of the 3 monotheistic religions...please, INFORM ME...THANK YOU..hell send me a free DVD

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


AmericanIdle
Posts: 414
Joined: 2007-03-16
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote:The God Who

Susan wrote:

The God Who Wasn't There got a message on MySpace of which a copy was forwarded to me.

 I thought you all might want to respond.  The person has been notified that the message was posted here.

 

Quote:

FROM:      j. kiCkz

DATE:       May 5, 2007 1:33 AM

SUBJECT:  No Subject

you've got to be kidding me right...ever heard of historicity, Jesus Christ did exist due to historians THAT WEREN'T EVEN CHRISTIAN MIND YOU verifying his existence and crucifixion...what really pissed me off is that it seems like u tryin' to put this film as the savior of America, don't get me wrong some far right bastards are misusin' the name of christ to get some backing from all the hicks in the fuckin' midwest...but to put the whole idea that christ never existed is fuckin' retarded...but whatever makes you sleep at night homie...and u really believe what u puttin' out there then please respond back and give me some points on "why God never existed" and how he's a figment of the imagination of the 3 monotheistic religions...please, INFORM ME...THANK YOU..hell send me a free DVD

I appreciate the concern over my ability to sleep at night.  While I love the idea of a benevolent god watching over me and granting me immortality no matter what this might cost me (and who wouldn't?), wishful thinking on the part of humans won't make this true.  Humans have a long history of making things up to compensate for their own fears and a fear of the unknown.  A simple cracking of any history book should tell you this.  We have no problem dismissing the whole litany of gods that dominate our past as superstition (and which the god of the present culture is based upon) atheists have simply matured enough as humans to apply this skepticism to the religious ideology of the present.  

The whole point of the "God who wasn't There", is to show that how contrary to belief, there is very little evidence to show a historical jesus existed.  The evidence that does exist is also suspect for a multitude of reasons.  For instance, did you know that Paul (on whom much of the New Testament is based) never refers to Jesus as if he were a real person or in a literal sense ?  Did you know that there are a number of examples of the church trying to change historical texts to account for the lack of jesus being mentioned in said historical texts ?  Why would they do this ?

It's understandable that this information is disturbing to you but human comfort bought w/ dishonesty (no matter how many have been indoctrinated into said dishonesty) is unhealthy for the intellectual growth of any human.  

Watch the movie and then come back here and discuss !

{eidted for clarity}

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell


MrRage
Posts: 896
Joined: 2006-12-22
User is offlineOffline
Looks like he/she just wants

Looks like he/she just wants a free DVD. How clever.


DoubtingThomas
Posts: 38
Joined: 2007-04-23
User is offlineOffline
Quote: you've got to be

Quote:
you've got to be kidding me right...ever heard of historicity, Jesus Christ did exist due to historians THAT WEREN'T EVEN CHRISTIAN MIND YOU verifying his existence and crucifixion...

Why is it xtians/fundies have no concept of "time"?? That is, the separation of dates between when something occurs and when it written about. The bible has no dates any place. The mention of Herod does not indicate which one.

Theist sites that argue the "historian" verification that jesus lived mention the author's names, but not the years they lived. This person has bought fully into not comparing those dates and tying the difference with what happens when information is passed word-of-mouth for 30 to 100 years. Two of the three historians, that I assume he/she is referring to, used for "verification" were not even born until years after the alleged crucifixion. The third, a Hebrew living in Jerusalem, did not hear of it until, what, 30 or more years later. 2nd hand word-of-mouth information is dubious at best. 3rd hand and later has to be ignored totally.

Why does this persist??? Oh yeah, {the write, and others} were taught to not look at information from different sources, one that is factual, and put together a logical and realistic conclusion. If you did, you would lose your emotional crutch. Your "spiritual" leaders would lose control over you and they would have to get a real job that pays a lot less money.

Believe nothing you hear,

only half of what you see, and

question everything you read.

- a very old saying -

 

"What the world needs is an enema." Jack Nicholson, "Batman"


Susan
Susan's picture
Posts: 3561
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
DoubtingThomas

DoubtingThomas wrote:

Believe nothing you hear,

only half of what you see, and

question everything you read.

- a very old saying -

Pffft!  Well, it looks like you can't even name your source for that one, much less give dates when it was written.   tee hee

(Sorry, I just couldn't help myself after your post talked about authorship and dates.) 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


DoubtingThomas
Posts: 38
Joined: 2007-04-23
User is offlineOffline
Susan

Susan wrote:
DoubtingThomas wrote:

Believe nothing you hear,

only half of what you see, and

question everything you read.

- a very old saying -

Pffft! Well, it looks like you can't even name your source for that one, much less give dates when it was written. tee hee

(Sorry, I just couldn't help myself after your post talked about authorship and dates.)

You got me. Wink Left out the author/date of the quote as I had no idea. Never bothered to look it up. Was curious if anyone would comment on my lapse. Just did a Google on it. Surprise!! It is older than I imagined and worded differently. Will edit my post, post-haste. Smile

The first time I heard the first two lines was from a HS psychology teacher (1966), ex-Green Beret. Was my motto in the military and AA as a constant reminder to not buy into the rumors. I added the 3rd line about 25 years ago and it really applies to reading on the Internet and non-fiction books. No offense meant to the RRS. I have learned a lot here.

I left out the names/dates of the historians as I figured j.kiChz would not look at them. They are in other RRS threads and sites.

- - - - - - - - -

{edit: correct/add to quotation}

Since I can not figure out how to change my previoius post, will put the correction here.

Believe only half of what you see and

nothing that you hear.

- Dinah Mulock Craik 1826-1887, English novelist & poet

Question everything you read.

- me, 1980

"What the world needs is an enema." Jack Nicholson, "Batman"


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
MrRage wrote: Looks like

MrRage wrote:
Looks like he/she just wants a free DVD. How clever.

LOL...that was my first thought, too. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Dave_G
Dave_G's picture
Posts: 223
Joined: 2007-04-21
User is offlineOffline
LOL he's a fuckin moron he

LOL he's a fuckin moron he don't need a response.


AbandonMyPeace
Posts: 324
Joined: 2007-03-15
User is offlineOffline
People that use words like

People that use words like "homie" instantly lose credibility to me.

 

There is no such thing as an internet gangster. Cool


Atheist Eye Candy
Atheist Eye Candy's picture
Posts: 11
Joined: 2007-05-15
User is offlineOffline
I just want the dude to

I just want the dude to know that any christ/bible/god/ believer that used that much profanity, prob isnt written in the "lambs book of life".

 

So why bother arguing the case?

Heather
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.


zntneo
Superfan
Posts: 565
Joined: 2007-01-25
User is offlineOffline
DoubtingThomas

DoubtingThomas wrote:

{edit: correct/add to quotation}

Since I can not figure out how to change my previoius post, will put the correction here.

Believe only half of what you see and

nothing that you hear.

- Dinah Mulock Craik 1826-1887, English novelist & poet

Question everything you read.

- me, 1980

 

I think just saying "Question everything" sums that up pretty well. 


DoubtingThomas
Posts: 38
Joined: 2007-04-23
User is offlineOffline
zntneo

zntneo wrote:
DoubtingThomas wrote:

{edit: correct/add to quotation}

Since I can not figure out how to change my previoius post, will put the correction here.

Believe only half of what you see and

nothing that you hear.

- Dinah Mulock Craik 1826-1887, English novelist & poet

Question everything you read.

- me, 1980

 

I think just saying "Question everything" sums that up pretty well.

True, "question everything" is the short version.

The hearing and seeing aspects are a double edged sword. The normal understanding of them is: "is the person telling the full truth (hearing)" and "did what I saw actually happen or did I miss something"?

The stumper for me has always been (the other edge): did my brain interpret correctly what my eyes and ears take in? It has not always been reliable and I took the wrong action before making sure.

I added the 3rd line as the other two did not always fit the situation. I used the moniker Doubting Thomas since the 1970s as I did question everything. Annoys the hell out of people. Espcially those who are running scams.

"What the world needs is an enema." Jack Nicholson, "Batman"